JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

People Who Swear are More Likely to Be Intelligent, Study Shows

Researchers at the University of Rochester quizzed 1,000 people about 400 typical behaviours, and discovered a strong like between intelligence and swearing.

They also found that people who sing in the shower are more likely to have agreeable personalities, and that extroverts are fans of telling dirty jokes.

During the study, all participants were asked to state how often they performed 400 behaviours, and how often.

Those with higher intellects were found to be more likely to curse, eat spicy breakfasts, and walk around the house naked.

Extroverts, as you’d probably expect, like to drive cars faster than 75mph, gamble, and drink a lot.

People Who Swear are More Likely to Be Intelligent, Study Shows (Independent)

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I almost thought the title was people who 'sweat' are more intelligent... Lol 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Those with higher intellects were found to be more likely to curse, eat spicy breakfasts, and walk around the house naked.

Sounds like my cat, I'm glad I can't understand what he is saying. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

59a4530670ea2_Catscream.gif.79d0d407c750da70ba2b2fd8ebcf8d17.gif

He runs around the house, gambles with his life when he walks by the female cat, drinks, walks around naked and sings when I'm in the shower. Does that mean he is intelligent?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

He runs around the house, gambles with his life when he walks by the female cat, drinks, walks around naked and sings when I'm in the shower. Does that mean he is intelligent?

Obviously intelligent, was he trained by example? :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

He's a cat. Of course he's intelligent. Duh!

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I love cats. Think they're all intelligent..actually, most animals are. They are the only creation that is doing what they were created to do.

Cats were designed to roam the wild. Most house cats don't. They're smart, see.

Johan
Who did the assessment? Satan?

Not sure he's a researcher at this particular university. But their findings align quite well with earlier behavioural studies.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

More than we know... Lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

We had a cat that when we closed him in the bathroom for a short time, don't recall why, (time-ot) but he would jump up on the edge of the tub, open the door and let himself and other 2 out. He knew the handle was the way in and out and figured out that pushing down on it made the door open. There were many other instances where it was very obvious that cats, even most animals, can reason and solve problems. (When you go to let them in from outside, they always know which side of the door opens before you open it..) of course, that's memory.

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

11 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Researchers at the University of Rochester quizzed 1,000 people about 400 typical behaviours, and discovered a strong like between intelligence and swearing.

They also found that people who sing in the shower are more likely to have agreeable personalities, and that extroverts are fans of telling dirty jokes.

During the study, all participants were asked to state how often they performed 400 behaviours, and how often.

Extroverts, as you’d probably expect, like to drive cars faster than 75mph, gamble, and drink a lot.

People Who Swear are More Likely to Be Intelligent, Study Shows (Independent)

Johan

I don't like these studies with the whole claim that "extroverted people are party animals" thing. It's very 2 dimensional. Extroverted people can be shy, yet introverts might love to be thrilled. It's more about social energy than activities.

I'm extroverted, but I can come across very introverted due being a book worm and having a lot of alone time (though I do wish I had more people to socialize with in real life). I struggle to really "mesh" with other brothers my age as most are into cars, sports, gym and muscle flexing. I prefer to have deep discussions, philosophise and I have quite peculiar interests in comparison, like history, dance (retro and vintage styles as opposed to modern, 90s-1920s), older music, writing etc. But I get my energy from people. My extroverted vibe tends to come out on how I speak and express. (And if I ever dance in public lol). 

As for the other things in this article... Well I don't swear or tell dirty jokes, but that's a Christian upbringing and life for you. 

I don't sing in the shower, but I make noises and do lot of movie and character impressions, sometimes making up my own and making weird faces in the mirror. Sometimes I might hum a tune though. 

I am a fan of spicy food. Even for breakfast (I'll eat spicy chicken or curry left in the fridge)

Walking around naked... Yes actually, I used to a lot more years ago, but I had to put "something" on because it was tough scrambling to get dressed when someone knocked the door. But generally it will be a robe and bottoms lol. 

Edited by EccentricM

26 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Walking around naked... Yes actually, I used to a lot more years ago, but I had to put "something" on because it was tough scrambling to get dressed when someone knocked the door. But generally it will be a robe and bottoms lol. 

For some reason I picture you in a robe, sandals and a tinfoil hat  :lol1:

I don't like these studies with the whole claim that "extroverted people are party animals" thing. It's very 2 dimensional. Extroverted people can be shy, yet introverts might love to be thrilled. It's more about social energy than activities.

I'm extroverted, but I can come across very introverted due being a book worm and having a lot of alone time (though I do wish I had more people to socialize with in real life). I struggle to really "mesh" with other brothers my age as most are into cars, sports, gym and muscle flexing. I prefer to have deep discussions, philosophise and I have quite peculiar interests in comparison, like history, dance (retro and vintage styles as opposed to modern, 90s-1920s), older music, writing etc. But I get my energy from people. My extroverted vibe tends to come out on how I speak and express. (And if I ever dance in public lol). 

As for the other things in this article... Well I don't swear or tell dirty jokes, but that's a Christian upbringing and life for you. 

I don't sing in the shower, but I make noises and do lot of movie and character impressions, sometimes making up my own and making weird faces in the mirror. Sometimes I might hum a tune though. 

I am a fan of spicy food. Even for breakfast (I'll eat spicy chicken or curry left in the fridge)

You're right. Being extrovert and liking to be on stage, so to speak, does not mean you aren't shy. These are two different things. Many fine actors are very shy and private, but can go completely naked on stage.

Many Christians do not swear. For some it's a struggle. They have to find other ways of expressing the same emotions. Mind you, they do express them. Even the Bible is filled with a very colourful language, at times. It is not degenerated or rude, but bears clear signs of very high intelligence.

Whether we like a study or not is beside the point. If it's well done, it will help us understand why people do what they do, and how the human mind works.

Johan
Could just be a coincidence, or bias in the study (perhaps the person who organized this is a prolific swearer), which is pretty common these days. I generally think people who swear a lot as having a limited vocabulary.

You'd think so, but every single study points in the opposite direction.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

That study is a thumbs up for 'worldly wisdom'. 

Godly wisdom is opposed to it. 

Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-22-26~2.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Seems more like another worldly way of making bad seem good and give a reason to keep doing bad with impunity..even pride..

Isaiah 5:20a   "Woe to those who say that good is bad and bad is good"..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Seems more like another worldly way of making bad seem good and give a reason to keep doing bad with impunity..even pride..

Isaiah 5:20a   "Woe to those who say that good is bad and bad is good"..

Not at all. This is a misunderstanding. This does not mean one thing is better than the other, just that it points towards higher intelligence. Higher intelligence in itself is useless. An inclination within us to use a more colourful language is something we might want to suppress for a variety of reasons. This is also intelligence, practical wisdom. We can and should chose what to do and how to act.

Johan
That study is a thumbs up for 'worldly wisdom'. 
Godly wisdom is opposed to it. 
59a57c311dff5_Screenshot_2017-08-29-10-22-262.thumb.jpg.d30a6d5f4d190e23b6da922339c97219.jpg

You might be mixing things up a bit, perhaps.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”