JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Teacher assaults child who sat during pledge.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2407 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Depends on the individual's conscience and level of understanding. 

If the instructions are to "stand for the national anthem" then we sit. This is because the act of worship is standing. 

If the instructions are to stand AND SAY the pledge of allegiance, we may choose to stand or not. The act of worship in this case is reciting the pledge. 

When I was a child in school, they would play the national anthem and then recite the pledge. It was best if I just remained seated or step out of the classroom until it was over. 

All sporting events here start with the national anthem.  Some witnesses choose to not go to their seat until after the anthem.  Civic clubs and organizations start meetings with either pledge or anthem. Typically a witness will not be member of such organizations as they push the boundaries of neutrality and worldly association. So the pledge or anthem is not a factor. 

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/30867-standing-during-flag-salute/

I've always given my kids the choice to sit or stand for the pledge of allegiance every morning in school. One always chose to sit, the other to stand and not recite the pledge. Years later, the sitting one decided to start standing just to reduce conflict.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I noticed the father was wearing an ear stud.

I wouldn't automatically dismiss the possibility of this not standing being influenced by Jehovah's Witnesses on the father having an ear stud alone.

However, if the family were Jehovah's Witnesses, it would have been mentioned 50 times throughout that report, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

24 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I wouldn't automatically dismiss the possibility of this not standing being influenced by Jehovah's Witnesses on the father having an ear stud alone.

I didn't,  however it didn't appear that the father was a JW in good standing. :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

44 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I didn't,  however it didn't appear that the father was a JW in good standing. :)

Could be a student, adult child of a witness, unbelieving husband of a witness, or brother that likes to slip in his earring when he gets back home from meeting, lol.

However, I think it is probably more to do with it becoming "trendy" to sit now for the pledge since sports athletes are doing it and causing quite a stir. I thought it was funny that they conjured up a random old veteran to give his differing opinion, lol. As if that was needed in the story :P

I saw a picture a few weeks ago of people at a stadium pledging allegiance to a guy’s pants/trousers because they were the only thing showing the stars n stripes.

(Picture is available via a quick search, along with other stuff.)

I would think it would be more respectful to skip the pledge if that was the only option. What if he had put them on inside out, or he had spilt coffe on them?

And who gets to decide when an image of ‘Jesus’ on tortilla is realistic enough to become holy?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 minute ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I would think it would be more respectful to skip the pledge if that was the only option

It's not only disrespectful, but it's technically illegal. The law is largely a formality with no real enforcement, but it does show that those who make the most noise about "respecting the law" are often among the first to ignore it.

US Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, § 8 (d)

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.

1 minute ago, Stavro said:

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.

I occasionally wear a Japanese flag when I'm shaving...:scared:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Imagine being at that game:

”Hey, JW. Why aren’t you standing?”

”I noticed the pants were torn and have ketchup on and I didn’t want to be disrespectful.”

They would have to cancel the game!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Any government employee, including all US military service personnel are actually disrespecting the US flag when they force someone to stand for the anthem or recite the pledge. 

The US constitution guarantees freedom of thought and expression, as well as freedom of religion.  Government employees and military personnel take an oath swearing to protect and defend the Constitution. By forcing a person to stand for the anthem or recite the pledge, these people violate the very oath they took. They, in effect, spit on the Flag and what they feel it stands for. 

My father did not fight in Vietnam for my freedom only to have that freedom forcibly removed by people who swore to protect it.