JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

We just changed to using the JW Library App on a PC in our Hall. It is simple and works great. You do not HAVE to use the option of "Play Video on Second Display",  our PC is set to "mirror/clone" the screen - so, whatever in on the PC will show up on the screen. Since we use a projector, until the lights are dimmed, you cannot see the display on the screen.

There are some "extra steps" needed to play the songs:

With the lesson showing (either the MWM or the WT) you

• Click on the song number
  • Click on the song title in the display pane
  • click on the "play" arrow at the top of the screen
  • click on the "version" of the song you want (Orchestral or Piano)

A play bar appears on the bottom of the screen and the song plays. When it is finished, the play bar closes. While the song is playing you can still use the back arrow to return to the lesson - the play bar will "stay on top" until it turns itself off or you close it with the "X".

With either the songs or the videos you just have to make sure they have been downloaded before you try to use them - otherwise, the first time you click it, it will ask about d/l instead of playing.

The Brother in charge of the sound printed instructions from JW.org when he made the changes (we were using SoundBox) - he said the direction from the Branch is to use the JW App for the meetings.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:59 AM, shali said:

Best way to find out is to do it. If it doesn't work, justmove them back. Make careful note of the name of the files you moved and where they originally were.

There are some files that may not be visible unles your tablet is rooted though.

Does it work for you? i.e. you moved the publications of jwlibrary to the external sd card and jw library is able to access those files on the external sd card.

Or is it just a suggestion of something to try out to see if it does work.

I have not rooted my Samsung Tab pro 8.4 so I can't try it out myself.

Edited by WilliamChew

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

You do not HAVE to use the option of "Play Video on Second Display",  our PC is set to "mirror/clone" the screen - so, whatever in on the PC will show up on the screen. Since we use a projector, until the lights are dimmed, you cannot see the display on the screen (...)

The Brother in charge of the sound printed instructions from JW.org when he made the changes (we were using SoundBox) - he said the direction from the Branch is to use the JW App for the meetings.

thanks for your feedback

i advise you to prefer the "Play Video on Second Display" option. In that way, JW.library project a black screen with only the JW logo on the bottom right corner of the screen. So you don't need to switch on/off the projector during the meeting.

the process to play music is a little bit too hard for the moment with JW.library app. It did the job but the SoundBox app process is fare more easy...

. All medias are automatically downloaded frow JW.org

. We project all publication pictures - no need to turn off the lights of the Hall ^_~

. Songs of the meeting are automatically setup

. We are now displaying lyrics for each song...

I'm sure we will see more features in the future to fully and mainly use JW.library in out KH. But for the moment, SoundBox is our "couteau suisse" ;D

But JW.library is also installed and ready to enter in the game too

I wish it was possible to click on the symbols for endnotes, like you can in the WOL. And that there was an easy way to zoom in on images.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I wish it was possible to click on the symbols for endnotes, like you can in the WOL. And that there was an easy way to zoom in on images.

____

When I have to read the WT,  like today were we had 3 notes to read, I use the method of bookmarking the paragraph with the notes and the place were the notes are to be read.  That way I can go back and forth as needed... Not the perfect solution but it works

As for magnifying the images it discussed before that you can go to the accessibility option in settings and activate the magnifying option.  Then you can touch 3 times rapidly over the image and then you can zoom and pan the image. Pinch 3 times again to go ba

When I have to read the WT,  like today were we had 3 notes to read, I use the method of bookmarking the paragraph with the notes and the place were the notes are to be read.  That way I can go back and forth as needed... Not the perfect solution but it works
As for magnifying the images it discussed before that you can go to the accessibility option in settings and activate the magnifying option.  Then you can touch 3 times rapidly over the image and then you can zoom and pan the image. Pinch 3 times again to go ba

Yes, I know about the accessibility option, but it should be as simple as in WOL.

____

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, I know about the accessibility option, but it should be as simple as in WOL.

____

On the iPad, I just tap and hold the image, then save it to my photo album. I can zoom in from there, and delete when I'm done.

13 hours ago, jayrtom said:

This is a great idea. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks!

Thanks Michael, I was wondering myself what was actually updated.  Mine has actually been working pretty good since the last update so I didn't realize there were still "bugs" in the Library!  Probably cockroaches - they love the glue in the books!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

45 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

DOes anyone know how I could get a hold of the installer for the Windows version of JWLibrary. I want to try and run it on my mac much like how I run the Watchtower Library cd.

If you running some kind of Windows emulator on your Mac, can you just install the Watchtower Library from the DVD?  If you don't have a copy can you borrow one from the Kingdom Hall or another brother that has it?  The DVD can be copied to a 'flash-drive' and installed from there.  If you are asking about a special Mac version of the install program, I'm sorry, I can't help you.

I didn't know if it was discussed before, but I didn't know that my windows 10 lenovo tablet had the option to save music or videos to my sd card. That's very cool.

screen shot.pdf

screenshot.jpg

Edited by AH173

picture

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

32 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

JW Library 8.2 for iOS introduces continuous play.

____

So when will you find time to work or study if you are always going to be playing?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

So when will you find time to work or study if you are always going to be playing?

One does not necessarily rule out the other.

____

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I think the continuous play only refers to the music downloaded into the app.  Since audio files for the Bible are not yet ready for downloading into the app I highly doubt that is what "continuous play" is referring to. (and if someone tells me that Apple has the Bible audio files now, I'll scream!!!!) I have a feeling those audio files (for the Bible) will be coming soon.

I think you can play the video's one after the other too.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I have an iPhone and on the jw library app  I just played a random chapter in Ecclesiastes and after it had finished it went straight onto the next chapter, so I think the 'continuous play' update does include the reading of the bible, as well as other media like videos and songs of course.