JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Climate Change News

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1592 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I offer you all this 🌹, please do not mistake my snark (and yes it was snarky in retrospect) for any less concern for this beautiful gift of a planet 🌏 or for any less love for those of you my brothers and sisters who have a different perspective than my own. I love you all, appreciate the topic, and now I shall withdraw. Thank you. 

21 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

BTW if anyone would like to unload any coastal properties before the sea rises please let me know. Relax friends it’s just not that serious

Hey, Miami has plenty of coastal properties they are looking to flip before the ocean snatches them up. You might be able to get a great deal on a few. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/29/climate-gentrification-is-changing-miami-real-estate-values.html

On 8/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, carlos said:

Human-provoked climate change is a political issue only in the US. In the rest of the world it's an almost universally recognized fact. :)

This is the most truest statement I've read in this thread.

When we comment on climate change - and whether you term it 'global warming' climate change or just the earth being sick -it has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. 

We comment because New Zealand is getting all the refugees from climate change, we see people, brothers and sisters as well, wading through their gardens in sea water, crops failing, losing houses because the sea is washing in on their island homes. 

We even have been sighting Icebergs float past some in our South Islands ... why? Because the pieces that break off are too large to melt before they hit NZ waters.  Samoans, Tongans, Kiribatians (if thats a word), Fijians, and many more are becoming morbidly obese in droves, why? Because developed countries like New Zealand and Australia are sending them their rubbish fatty meats and processed foods to eat ... because they are cheap and because they no longer can fish or grow their own crops. The fact that many of our waters have been fished out through greed, means the eco system is dying - we are losing coral reefs around the Islands and Australia. The lungs of the earth are struggling with their last breaths. 

And that is only the tip of the proverbial 'iceberg' - These won't be reported on in the rest of the world ... Big countries don't care about what's happening down under and hiding what's happening above. Or is that starting to get political? Let's leave it there and in the hands of Jehovah ...

I'm starting to think that maybe Guy McPherson is correct with his timeline - when I first watched the interview below - I was skeptical of ihs timeline - now ... me ... and others even in the science world, downunder ... not so sure.  Thanks goes to Jehovah for being in the driving seat, because unlike Guy McPherson below, we have hope ... a hope that surpasses all the rubbish that is taking place and about to take place. May Jehovah's Kingdom come, and may his name be vindicated soon, once for all time.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

In one of the interviews, Guy McPherson stated he doesn’t like vegans and JWs. I forgot his reasons but I reckon he doesn’t like our message that instead of human extinction that he has been espousing, we are proclaiming real hope for mankind by means of God’s Kingdom. 

Check out this 40-second animation showing high and low temperatures of countries around the world over the period 1880 to 2017, created by researcher Antti Lipponen from the Finnish Meteorological Institute.

The animated timeline, based on historical and NASA satellite data, shows unusual dips in year-to-year temperatures (in blue) and above-average spikes (in red). By the time the animation gets to 2017, you see a lot of red! Lipponen said:

It doesn’t look as if climate change is slowing down at all. Quite the opposite: the planet has warmed extremely quickly in the past two decades.

Only DIVINE intervention can save us.  The writing truly is on the wall, er, the YouTube video. :unsure:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Only DIVINE intervention can save us.  The writing truly is on the wall, er, the YouTube video. :unsure:

That is really good!  I don’t expect it to slow down. In fact it may very well double. There is a documented lag time for warming and cooling. It is why Co2 elevations don’t always seem to correspond with warming. It is certainly gonna get hotter. Maybe I’ll buy stock in a ceiling fan company.

Edited by BenJepthah

More to say

• 4 months later...

Watching this CNN video, it is stated that in 1975 the Antarctica ice sheet was melting at about 40 billion tons a year, Now fast forward to 2017, it is now melting at a rate of 252 billion tons a year at a rate 6 times or more a year. 2018 has the warmest oceans on record, breaking 2017’s record.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/01/16/antarctica-glacier-ice-melt-earth-matters-jennifer-gray-dnt-lead-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/around-the-world/

On 12/16/2017 at 2:44 PM, Wm-Scott said:

Global climate change is accelerating and its impact on us is going to increase sharply. I know that many don't think it is real, and I am interested in what it will take to convince them since they will soon be receiving it. Having watched this change occurring for decades and seeing the increasing effects I am amused by the denial of the increasing obvious. With hundred year climate events occurring with an alarming frequency and massive droughts are occurring with enough severity to destabilize entire countries, some still ignore what is happening. It is just as Jesus said it would be,  "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be.  38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,  39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." Matthew 24:37-39

People of the world ignore the signs including those caused by global climate change, they want to believe that they can keep doing what they want to do and nothing will effect them. They are of course wrong as "All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress." Matthew 24:8

I enjoyed your commentary!  May I quote it on FB  by stating I would like to share my friends thoughts?  I want my sister to read it which I know she will as long as I didnt say it! 😉

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

3 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

I enjoyed your commentary!  May I quote it on FB  by stating I would like to share my friends thoughts?  I want my sister to read it which I know she will as long as I didnt say it! 😉

He isn't a member here at this time..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 3 weeks later...

Latest on Climate Change from the Climate Science and Awareness Monthly and Yearly update. This was the Yearly Update.

Original article: http://csas.ei.columbia.edu/2019/02/06/global-temperature-in-2018-and-beyond/

Global Temperature in 2018 and Beyond

06 February 2019
James Hansen[a], Makiko Sato[a], Reto Ruedy,[c],Gavin A. Schmidt[c], Ken Lo[c]

Abstract.  Global surface temperature in 2018 was the 4th highest in the period of instrumental measurements in the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) analysis.  The 2018 global temperature was +1.1°C (~2°F) warmer than in the 1880-1920 base period; we take that base period as an estimate of ‘pre-industrial’ temperature.  The four warmest years in the GISS record all occur in the past four years, and the 10 warmest years are all in the 21st century.  We also discuss the prospects for near-term global temperature change.

[NOTE: Due to copyright regulations we cannot accept whole articles. Please include only a link, a header and snippet of the original article. Thanks.]

Edited by carlos

6 hours ago, Lewis said:

Latest on Climate Change from the Climate Science and Awareness Monthly and Yearly update. This was the Yearly Update.

Original article: http://csas.ei.columbia.edu/2019/02/06/global-temperature-in-2018-and-beyond/

Global Temperature in 2018 and Beyond

06 February 2019
James Hansen[a], Makiko Sato[a], Reto Ruedy,[c],Gavin A. Schmidt[c], Ken Lo[c]

Abstract.  Global surface temperature in 2018 was the 4th highest in the period of instrumental measurements in the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) analysis.  The 2018 global temperature was +1.1°C (~2°F) warmer than in the 1880-1920 base period; we take that base period as an estimate of ‘pre-industrial’ temperature.  The four warmest years in the GISS record all occur in the past four years, and the 10 warmest years are all in the 21st century.  We also discuss the prospects for near-term global temperature change.

[NOTE: Due to copyright regulations we cannot accept whole articles. Please include only a link, a header and snippet of the original article. Thanks.]

Thanks Carlos.

Just so that we’re clear, This was sent to me as a PDF format in email through a subsciption I have, wasn’t copied from a site since I never stated original article link. 

A prominent scientist, James Lovelock, who is known for proposing the Gaia hypothesis, which postulates that the earth is a self-regulating living system, has warned of a danger from climate change to life on earth. 

What surprised me is that unlike scientists, he sounds like someone who believes in God. 

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/theres-a-danger-of-losing-our-tenure-on-this-plane/p06yyqvc?playlist=older-and-wiser

Edited by Bek

• 8 months later...

1000 years ago: the medieval warming period.  The polar ice caps had melted. The sea levels had risen. Forests stretched the length and breadth of the UK . Lion , Wild boar , roamed the land. The Scottish lowlands were marshlands due to the higher sea levels. Cropland was rich. Desert lands of Africa wear much smaller and got far more rainfall due to the fresher waters of the Atlantic and higher sea levels. 

Today, the Scottish lowlands are dry farmland. The Highlands are barren ( no trees). The sea levels are low. The ice caps are present at the poles. And the earths deserts are far larger. 

In 1000 years from now. The forests and farmlands will be restored. The deserts will bloom and probably the Scottish lowlands will become rich marshlands once more due to the higher seas levels . The desert that is the polar regions will also be transformed into an aquatic area open to increased life due to lessened or absent ice caps. Just as it was previously. 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, Awakened said:

The “Arctic Methane Time Bomb”/Clathrate Gun seems to have started. Wow...this is a big deal. 
Not much time left...on this side of the system.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/12/us/arctic-methane-gas-flare-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Oh my . i hope it won't bring strong typhoons that kills 7,000 people in 2013 here in my country. 

Edited by JennyM

On 2/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, Awakened said:

We may not have an Artic ice cap by this September

Still there :coffee: October 2019

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1000 years ago: the medieval warming period.  The polar ice caps had melted. The sea levels had risen. Forests stretched the length and breadth of the UK . Lion , Wild boar , roamed the land. The Scottish lowlands were marshlands due to the higher sea levels. Cropland was rich. Desert lands of Africa wear much smaller and got far more rainfall due to the fresher waters of the Atlantic and higher sea levels. 
    Today, the Scottish lowlands are dry farmland. The Highlands are barren ( no trees). The sea levels are low. The ice caps are present at the poles. And the earths deserts are far larger. 
    In 1000 years from now. The forests and farmlands will be restored. The deserts will bloom and probably the Scottish lowlands will become rich marshlands once more due to the higher seas levels . The desert that is the polar regions will also be transformed into an aquatic area open to increased life due to lessened or absent ice caps. Just as it was previously. 

Maybe, but not because of any natural cycles, but because of divine intervention. That is what the Millennium will do to Earth. Let it heal.

What did the Scottish highlands look like 2000 years ago? 10,000 years ago?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, there was a snippet News on my tablet.  It showed a rig that recorded bubbles coming up from the ocean.  The scientist said it's bad when the ocean sends up bubbles, cause it makes the oceans much warmer.  And the bubbles are more then the last 10 years.  Some sort of gas comes up and friends, we know we are close to then end because man is ruining the earth, and our oceans are being destroyed and life within it.  Perhaps some else in here can add to this bubble thing and the gas that is warming up the oceans. 

The biggest "methane fountain" is discovered in the Arctic Ocean. It is said that methane gas can warm the earth 86 times as much as carbon dioxide. Add to this the thawing tundra, which contains millions of tonnes of methane. Things are certainly not looking good. 

Russian scientists find 'most powerful' ever methane seep in Arctic Ocean

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/08/russian-scientists-find-powerful-ever-methane-seep-arctic-ocean/#comments

Scientists shocked by Arctic permafrost thawing 70 years sooner than predicted

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/18/arctic-permafrost-canada-science-climate-crisis

Edited by Bek

42 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Yesterday, there was a snippet News on my tablet.  It showed a rig that recorded bubbles coming up from the ocean.  The scientist said it's bad when the ocean sends up bubbles, cause it makes the oceans much warmer.  And the bubbles are more then the last 10 years.  Some sort of gas comes up and friends, we know we are close to then end because man is ruining the earth, and our oceans are being destroyed and life within it.  Perhaps some else in here can add to this bubble thing and the gas that is warming up the oceans. 

Did the article explain how mankind was responsible for the change or is it a naturally occurring event?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Here’s a video of the bubbles captured by a Russian led scientific expedition from last month, Igor Semiletov is the lead scientist and well known for his work along with Natalia Shakhova also known as S&S in the scientific community .

Lake and continental shelf emissions are both methane and both increasing as a result of AGW.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:31 AM, BenJepthah said:

Who really is destroying the earth? Basic human needs ( food, water, shelter, clothing) are all currently and most effectively being met by the use of petroleum. 1 single gallon of gasoline is roughly equivalent to 9 man hours of labor when properly used. ( just try putting up wood for the winter without a chainsaw and wood splitter). Or try planting a field large enough to feed more than your own family without a tractor. Or try turning several trees into a house. Or try growing harvesting and processing cotton without the use of fossil fuels. In fact the end of slavery can largely be tied to the internal combustion engine. 1 gallon of gasoline equals 1 days slave labor. 

But prior to the fall of man in the garden of Eden humans needed no housing, clothing, and didn’t need to plant and harvest food. Adam and Eve made no more impact upon the environment than a rabbit. Even less if that rabbit isn’t currently living in Australia. 

So who Really is destroying the earth? Who is the true enemy? 

David, there is something that you omit my dear brother.

Let's call "conditions of Eden when Adam and Eve lived there" year ZERO

So comparing current population to year ZERO is a mistake as your argument did not make "allowance" for population growth,and how Jehovah would direct matters as population would reach all continents.

Comparing anything to year ZERO is incomplete.  

Look, for example Adam did not need a house, yet the Bible is very clear that in Paradise we WILL build houses.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)