JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apparent Doom and Gloom for World Economy

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1924 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

14 minutes ago, Myew said:

.. I have few needs aside from the essentials... and the internet... sigh. 

Makes it so much easier when we have to walk away from it all, doesn’t it?

Would a list of priorities help in making economic decisions? That way you can see how far your budget can stretch to buy your desired item. Sort of like time management, but for expenses. I feel for you in a tight economic situation.. Been there. 

10 hours ago, Myew said:

C'est la vie, ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance is bliss and I'm a very happy man...:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Would a list of priorities help in making economic decisions?

Not necessarily, when one is insanely obsessive and has multiple lists of conflicting priorities. Food/Supplements (local/fresh, macro and micronutrients, organic, pain and sleep management), Healthcare (sleep, eyes, teeth, thyroid, gut), Clothing (Need new shoes, more shirts and pants, belt, coat), Shelter (need laundry appliances, better insulation, more efficient and less dehydrating heaters), Go Bag (that I'll probably never finish, I can't eat 'nonperishable' foods aside from fats), Wants (fixing/upgrading failing tech, I rarely buy some needed recreation but then never have time for it because I'm too busy obsessing over writing stuff like this). When I am not feeling well, I end up literally wasting most of the day sitting here while deciding on what to do, and not getting anything done. I'm trying to change that, and want to use the time to get rid of/sell old stuff, but that has it's own anxieties and risks with all the scams going on now. There's simply not much to stretch, food and shelter are top priority. I just need to keep learning to make do and move forward without obsessively looking back.
(Luke 9:62) Jesus said to him: “No man who has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well-suited for the Kingdom of God.”

Edited by Myew

On 3/31/2018 at 10:12 AM, Brandon said:

Won't the new world be as much about us cleaning the earth up (under the Messianic Kingdom) as it is about Jehovah 'resetting the planet'? 

On 3/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, Stormswift said:

Whether Jehovah has a hand in cleaning it up or we do it solely - 

Is impossible for humans to restore the Earth to paradise without Jehovah.  Toxic waste. Nuclear waste.  Non biodegradable trash.  

The only way humans know how to deal with trash is bury it in a landfill.  That really isn't dealing with the problem. It only buries it. 

Whole cities of trash.  Humans are not going to deal with that alone. It's impossible. 

Restoring the Earth to Eden paradise is the ultimate definition of reset. 

The culmination of 6,000 years of human experience is death and destruction in nuclear annihilation. 

Edited by Shawnster

17 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Is impossible for humans to restore the Earth to paradise without Jehovah.  Toxic waste. Nuclear waste.  Non biodegradable trash.  

The only way humans know how to deal with trash is bury it in a landfill.  That really isn't dealing with the problem. It only buries it. 

Whole cities of trash.  Humans are not going to deal with that alone. It's impossible. 

Restoring the Earth to Eden paradise is the ultimate definition of reset. 

The culmination of 6,000 years of human experience is death and destruction in nuclear annihilation. 

I'm very well aware of this Shawn, and am in total agreement with you - if you check the rest of my posts in this thread.

This is what I'm referring to as a 'reset' button. Which was brought out earlier in this thread.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 3 months later...

Speaking of the world economy...

I've recently read reports that many financial analysts are predicting the world stock market will have minimal if any gains for the next two years and possibly for the next 5 years.

Some are comparing the next few years to the years preceding 2008.

This may be a tough time for those whose retirement income relies heavily on the stock market. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Here in Sweden they have articles now and then about people who have stopped working and retired when they are 40 something. They dont want to be a part of this ”squirrel-wheel” as we say in swedish and they save about 70% of their income for maybe 15 years and live very sparingly. Then they can put the money on the stockmarket and in different funds and then live from the return the rest of their lives. 

My sister met a former classmate of hers who is doing this and she said that she knows quite a few who are doing the same. The only bad thing is that she has no time to see anybody else because she is working so much. She has three jobs, but she says that she has about 8 years left and then she can associate with family and friends again. So sad. They put down so much time now to earn money and place it in the market. A market that has no future. How about those who are living on the return now? When it crashes, they will need to find a job suddenly and that wont be easy. And how about that feeling: you hardly didnt see you friends and family for earning money in a system that collapses:(

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 8:07 AM, Tortuga said:

I have an acquaintance that has been a very successful financial adviser for many years,  his personal opinion is that 2018 will be financially tumultuous but the real storm will be in early 2019. His opinion is based on the changes in the US interest rates and what the major corporations are doing to adjust, some of that will come to a head in 1Q2019. Of course he can't predict what Trump will do in the mean time...

Huh.... It looks like he is right so far...

On 7/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, Tortuga said:

Speaking of the world economy...

I've recently read reports that many financial analysts are predicting the world stock market will have minimal if any gains for the next two years and possibly for the next 5 years.

Some are comparing the next few years to the years preceding 2008.

This may be a tough time for those whose retirement income relies heavily on the stock market. 

What retirement, (not a great deal) I do have, when we went to two meetings a week, I went to the company that handles it, and told them if the slow drain did not stop, I was pulling my money out, and was going to bury it on our property. He put it in bonds. All of it. I don’t remember the year, but, I lost nothing in 2008. My husband lost thousands. 

I make a bit every year, not a lot, but I don’t loose it. 

My husband tried to do the same thing, and couldn’t. Maybe age, (I’m 3 years older) or the source of his funds. 

But, before it is over, all will be for naught! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 1/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Brother Jack said:

When I was a kid I used to wonder why the government didn’t just print more money to solve the debt problem. This answers why.

This video was cute.  Thanks for posting.  I hope the world does something spectacular with their money.  Like throwing out in the streets where one day it has no value whatsoever!  Am waiting for that day too.  I don't believe one second we  (all of us worshipers in here) are going to use MONEY to barter with.  Jehovah and Jesus, will come up with better ways.  Or we will have enough food to eat on our piece of land that Jehovah will give us.  And we have good neighbors who love to share. 

12 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

This video was cute.  Thanks for posting.  I hope the world does something spectacular with their money.  Like throwing out in the streets where one day it has no value whatsoever!  Am waiting for that day too.  I don't believe one second we  (all of us worshipers in here) are going to use MONEY to barter with.  Jehovah and Jesus, will come up with better ways.  Or we will have enough food to eat on our piece of land that Jehovah will give us.  And we have good neighbors who love to share. 

Remember that old saying..."You can't win for losing."  

I REST MY CASE!

p.s. Oh yes...forgot..."If it sounds to good to be true, IT PROBABLY IS"

the US economy is most likely to enter a recession by Q2 of 2019, all except dow and s&p 500 are down >20% its just a matter of time when these follow... anything below 20% is deep in bear territory. the coming recession will make 2008 pale in comparison coz this time its not just a housing bubble, but in almost everywhere - auto, service, loans, stocks you name it. the air is already coming out and what are the odds that the longest bull rally is going to be proceeded by the shortest bear market?

paradise.eternity.glory

one more thing...

in the 2008 recession the Fed came to the rescue by artificially low (0%) interest rates and printing cheap money (QE programme). that inflated this gigantic bubble. this time they're out of ammo. if the Fed raises interest rates its going to prick the bubble a lot faster whereas if the choose not to and lower interest rates back to 0% and start QE-4, then there is going to be hyper-inflation while the dollar tanks. countries like Venezuela, argentina, Zimbabwe have experienced such but its going to be much worse for the US.

paradise.eternity.glory

6 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

... and the rest of the Western world.  Maybe 2019 will be THE year ...... 

...maybe it crashes in 2019 and they fix it by 2020 and then everyone wipes their brow and says "whew, now we have peace and securities"

:lol1:

11 hours ago, stargazer said:

the US economy is most likely to enter a recession by Q2 of 2019, all except dow and s&p 500 are down >20% its just a matter of time when these follow... anything below 20% is deep in bear territory. the coming recession will make 2008 pale in comparison coz this time its not just a housing bubble, but in almost everywhere - auto, service, loans, stocks you name it. the air is already coming out and what are the odds that the longest bull rally is going to be proceeded by the shortest bear market?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/dont-panic-heres-your-bear-market-survival-guide/ar-BBRsLKJ?ocid=spartandhp

OTOH, this article has some interesting facts about a Bear market.

only thing going up the coming recession is gold. gold is going to hit the ceiling or blow off the ceiling once stagflation sets in. the dollar still hasn't fallen yet because of its world's reserve currency status. but that's going to change pretty soon...

I think this will culminate with gold going ballistic > worst economic misery (stagflation) > attack on the harlot, stripping her off her wealth (gold) > then we all know what awaits us after all this madness :)

paradise.eternity.glory

1 hour ago, stargazer said:

only thing going up the coming recession is gold. gold is going to hit the ceiling or blow off the ceiling once stagflation sets in. the dollar still hasn't fallen yet because of its world's reserve currency status. but that's going to change pretty soon...

I think this will culminate with gold going ballistic > worst economic misery (stagflation) > attack on the harlot, stripping her off her wealth (gold) > then we all know what awaits us after all this madness :)

I hope silver takes off too, I have a bunch of junk silver that I want to sell. Every cloud has a silver lining...

32 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

If 2019, is going to be a bad year or not, I'm planning to go to Chicago on the last day of 2018.

Why Dusty?

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

If 2019, is going to be a bad year or not, I'm planning to go to Chicago on the last day of 2018.

37 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Why Dusty?

Must be a Chocolate ( Liquor ) Tasting New Years Party. 😜:eat::drink:

Got to celebrate another year of misery past. A year closer to Paradise. :bible2:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 12/27/2018 at 9:19 AM, stargazer said:

I'm interested to see how gold and silver performs.  I agree, the US dollar is losing reserve status, the only way they've got away with printing this much is having reserve status, it's just history repeating itself, Rome tried the same thing, as did many others in the past. I like the way the "Hidden secrets of money" series on YouTube explains this history

I see that countries have been dumping the US dollar like crazy lately.  Russia has recently, all that exported paper money is going to come flowing back to the US

Once the dollar loses reserve status, that's the end of the US as a dominant world power, so this means we're close to the end.  I could see the cry of P&S coming from the creation of a new reserve currency that's not tied to, or benefits any one country, after a crash of the US dollar. 

When the Beast (US)  breaths life into the image of the wild beast (UN)  this could be the U.S. trying to hold onto their power by using the UN, since it's got a big influence over the UN as it always has.  If you look back in history, world powers usually don't give up their power voluntarily

Just my observations

With regard to precious metals, silver hasn't been performing, it should always be a certain percent of gold price, but it's been low for a long time, it could be the real performer when this next "everything buble" pops.  I think that when the next crash happens though, that may be the tribulation or happen during the tribulation 

Edited by Mountain man

• 2 weeks later...