JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keego Harbor Murder Suicide

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2139 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Bad, and getting worse. Last week, it was announced our doors will be locked during the meetings. Plus cameras will be set up for the parking lot. These poor souls. Choices were made. Nothing was forced on anyone. We reap what we sow. There was a way back. It is horrible. Doesn’t make any sense. Makes one wonder how bad it will be before it is over. Just tragic. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Events and media attention like this are the building blocks of future persecution. It is what it is..

Sad for them and everyone affected.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A lot of inaccuracies in news stories. One article stated the witnesses forbid children going to college. We know that is a personal choice although we are warned against some of the dangers involved and of the wisdom of putting theocratic goals first. Also it is to be noted that Jehovah's Witnesses abhor violence which would rule out murder/suicide. Probably a whole lot more involved that hasn't been reported.

This whole thing is very sad indeed, but to blame it on JWs is wrong on every level. Choices were made here. College level education is not a crime either.. Clearly there are some details being omitted here. 

Also not sure if anyone noticed, but at the end of the article referenced a separate incident, "Authorities said his financial troubles triggered his expulsion from the religious group, which then triggered the killings." This is inaccurate. If we threw people out for being broke, some of the surrounding congregations here would be nearly empty. And once again, blaming the organization for someone's mental illness or lack of self control is not right. 

This is media, at its best, or worse. We full well know there were a lot of details left out. We do not know the full details, so we keep our head up, and know who to believe. And, it is not the media. We have to keep focused in this desperate time of the end. Yes, some cannot handle it. Now, it is up to Jehovah. There had to be mental illness of some sort  to be so very desperate. 

In the meantime, our rescue work continues. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

18 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

This is media, at its best, or worse. We full well know there were a lot of details left out. We do not know the full details, so we keep our head up, and know who to believe. And, it is not the media. We have to keep focused in this desperate time of the end. Yes, some cannot handle it. Now, it is up to Jehovah. There had to be mental illness of some sort  to be so very desperate. 

In the meantime, our rescue work continues. 

Mike Martindale, February, 16th, 2018

The Detroit News...reports:  "Investigators found a note at the scene that helps to explain what

happened, but police have yet to reveal the contents."

8 hours ago, Saffron said:

[...] once again, blaming the organization for someone's mental illness or lack of self control is not right. 

As we all know, the majority of mainstream media is not interested in what is ethical or moral.  They want what sells, i.e., sensationalism, medical/criminal scandals towards JW's...to whip people up to a frenzy to obtain an unfavorable/negative emotion.  (Example: Over the years what is the ratio of positive articles written about JW's against negative?  I'm still waiting to read up on updates of the toxic poisons perpetrated by thugs on our Angolan brothers and sisters at their convention last August; no concern in the media about that, no empathy...nothing!)

Yes, we'll need courage for the deeply challenging times to come!   

It is really sad how people see things. One similar article I saw said they were being "shunned" for sending their kids to college. Something that Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to do*. Without making too many assumptions, from what I have read it seems as if the family disassociated themselves. Just my opinion based on what has been said.  But like Brother Tortuga said no matter what it was their choice to leave. There is always room to return to Jehovah, and unfortunately this family did not. But we can only hope when they are given a chance again to to serve Jehovah they will learn from their mistakes and take the opportunity. 

*not accurate but the articles explanation.

32 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

I'm still waiting to read up on updates of the toxic poisons perpetrated by thugs on our Angolan brothers and sisters at their convention last August; no concern in the media about that, no empathy...nothing!)

I had kind of forgotten about this.. So I guess they never figured out who or why?

And yes, you are right. It's mostly negative stories. The inaccuracies with them really annoy me. 

3 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

Yikes... that article sounds terrible. I read in the article it mentioned Jehovah’s witnesses murder suicide in South Carolina.. that is where I live! I didn’t hear about that?? :shrugs:

Don't forget that the Truth appeals to people that need it the most, so there is a large percentage of witnesses with various medical and mental issues. It's not surprising that some succumb to their ailments.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Don't forget that the Truth appeals to people that need it the most, so there is a large percentage of witnesses with various medical and mental issues. It's not surprising that some succumb to their ailments.

I totally agree.. it’s sad to me that someone without true knowledge of us and the true happiness we have overall even with our many problems, would read this and it would be stumbling block. For someone to truly murder themselves and their entire family - you can not blame religion for that! There are some mental issues at play... I can’t even imagine what that congregation was thinking when a “friend” of hers Burst into the congregation blaming them all for her death! How insane  

One wonders how must influence the "longtime family friend', who is obviously an ex-Jehovah's Witness, (and from the sound of it apostate), had on them leaving. And if it was distressing Lauren Stuart to that degree that she ended up doing what she did, yet obviously not confiding in her 'very close friend' about how depressed she was, it makes one wonder if she really wanted to be out in the world at all. Maybe her reasoning was 'if we die we can all be together again in the resurrection'. 

Whatever the true story, it is so very sad.  Jehovah is the only one who knows the true facts so we just have to leave the long term outcome to him. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Sad. I grew up with a bipolar cousin and I know first hand what family members must endure, the ordeal of ''hiding belongings' or ' walking on eggshells'. Back to the story- those were not her real friends at all. If only she relied on Jehovah.

Edited by nicolette

too much personal info..

So, you've got a crazy wacko who even killed her own adult children and they wonder why we tried removing her from our Congregation?

And had she abused her children - rather than "just" kill them - they would wonder why we did nothing, right?

People are so crazy. Be careful out there! We are DEFINITELY in the last days!

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

People don't understand that none of us want to see something like this happen. Why would we devote our lives preaching and teaching, trying to get people in the front door just to kick them out the back door for no reason? It wouldn't make sense...

21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

People don't understand that none of us want to see something like this happen. Why would we devote our lives preaching and teaching, trying to get people in the front door just to kick them out the back door for no reason? It wouldn't make sense...

And what an extreme reaction. Thousands may be df'd but they don't go out and murder their whole family, or even themselves.

Is shunning someone who asked to leave anywhere near as serious as what she did.?

And then to blame her actions on someone else..is not reasonable or defensible..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

53 minutes ago, Dove said:

And what an extreme reaction. Thousands may be df'd but they don't go out and murder their whole family, or even themselves.

Is shunning someone who asked to leave anywhere near as serious as what she did.?

And then to blame her actions on someone else..is not reasonable or defensible..

And then wait 5 YEARS! before doing this.

Something happened that changed for her and caused this. It wasn't just being DF'd. I also see that her husband left the truth with her, but she shot him too.

But behind the seemingly idyllic life, friends say Stuart struggled with the anguish of being ostracized from the religion she and her husband had been raised in. About five years ago, Stuart and her husband left the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian denomination that has been criticized for its strict indoctrination and for its practice of shunning former members.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Saffron said:

This whole thing is very sad indeed, but to blame it on JWs is wrong on every level. Choices were made here. College level education is not a crime either.. Clearly there are some details being omitted here. 

Also not sure if anyone noticed, but at the end of the article referenced a separate incident, "Authorities said his financial troubles triggered his expulsion from the religious group, which then triggered the killings." This is inaccurate. If we threw people out for being broke, some of the surrounding congregations here would be nearly empty. And once again, blaming the organization for someone's mental illness or lack of self control is not right. 

I found this extremely offensive because of the gravity of the lie.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

My God, speak! Why do you think articles like that batch of lies the OP linked to target the emotions? Because people do not reason properly when they are upset. That writer knew exactly what she was doing

Edited by Bob