JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NEW VIDEO - “Be Prepared” - Mark Sanderson (James 4:14)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2068 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The example of Singapore flipping overnight is sobering.  That country is advanced, it is a democracy, and it is not dissimilar to our Western lands where we take our freedom for granted.  But like Bro Sanderson said "They were not broken.  They continued to find ways to serve Jehovah".  It heartens us to know we can do so too if we also place our confidence in Jehovah, just like our brothers in Russia are doing now.

The example of Singapore flipping overnight is sobering.  That country is advanced, it is a democracy, and it is not dissimilar to our Western lands where we take our freedom for granted.  But like Bro Sanderson said "They were not broken.  They continued to find ways to serve Jehovah".  It heartens us to know we can do so too if we also place our confidence in Jehovah, just like our brothers in Russia are doing now.

Singapore—Asia’s Tarnished Jewel

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101997407

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Sure looks like it! Maroon Deluxe 656ae60bfd46f859cbd07d6ec36c594a.jpg&key=4c5bbc248ade934f427a198b071620e0b1a139b4fa464044815619b4c6d17a63

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

A lot of sample Bibles were produced before they landed on the silver Bible. It might just be that he is using one of those old prototypes.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

We need not have lived during the war years to read the history about them in the United States. During WW1 and WW11 there was intense persecution against our brothers and sisters. War hysteria brought out the worst in many who supported the war efforts. Our children were spanked and/or expelled from school and persecuted by their class mates. Our draft-age brothers were tarred ,  feathered,  and run out of town on a rail. Many were beaten mercilessly , some were castrated.. I have noticed a heightened sense of patriotism among the general public right here in my town and among my relatives. This is readily apparent in our ministry. Often we aren't aware of the  behind-the-scenes workings of the various countries until there is a major event such as happened in Russia a couple of years ago. There was a video at a convention several years ago that really warned us of the speed with which a government ban can develop.

This is one of the reasons why we need to keep awake and aware of what can happen.

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

A lot of sample Bibles were produced before they landed on the silver Bible. It might just be that he is using one of those old prototypes.

Yes, I saw some of those sample bibles when I went to bethel. They had a dark blue Bible with silver pages and letters. I liked that bible more, and in my opinion, would have made more sense since dirt wouldn’t show up so easily on the cover. I’m happy with what we have, though.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I do not know where he got the color of his Bible, but listen to the words he reads.  They are from our newly revised edition (2013).  In the reading of Luke 12:20 he reads "life" not "soul" as we said in the 1984 Ref Bible.  Similar difference can be heard in James.  He is reading the 2013 edition (maybe he had someone put a maroon binding on it, they still were binding in maroon last year for countries who did not have 2013 ed).

A young Brother I know has a black 2013 Bible. It is not "recovered" - it was an original "test" Bible. Seems they made quite a number of Bibles in various bingin material and colors.

If a young pioneer Brother in Florida was given one to test - I see no reason one of the GB would not have one or two also :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 8/16/2018 at 4:44 AM, Qapla said:

A young Brother I know has a black 2013 Bible. It is not "recovered" - it was an original "test" Bible. Seems they made quite a number of Bibles in various bingin material and colors.

Br. John, 

I wondered if we too ever get the deluxe Bible of revised translation. 

BTW, the talk of Br. Sanderson was great. He explained very well how important and wise it is to rely on Jehovah and His inspired word. 

Br. John, 

I wondered if we too ever get the deluxe Bible of revised translation. 
BTW, the talk of Br. Sanderson was great. He explained very well how important and wise it is to rely on Jehovah and His inspired word. 

It seems the GB is focusing their efforts, not on a variety of Bible bindings, but on getting the Bible into the hands of as many people as possible. If anyone would want it with another cover, it is quite easy to take it to their local binder.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Two things I remember shows how fast BIG things can change overnight. During the "cold war" the mighty,  supposed "King of the North" the Soviet Union fell overnight so to speak. That was just unheard of at the time and would have never crossed our mind. But there it was - changed to Russia. Then the second unheard of thing happened overnight. The Berlin Wall fell. At that time it was felt that it would be there "forever." Nope, it was gone. But one thing that didn't change was our own Watchtower Society.

I appreciated Bro. Sanders talk since the first thing he talked about I remembered --- Bro. Rutherford's death and though I was really young and I didn't comprehend the full import of it but my parents were just coming in the truth and my mother was very upset and cried and cried. And like a little kid I wanted to know "why are you crying so much." Mom said that Bro. Rutherford died. She was distraught as to what we were going to do now!   Being new in the truth, she was so afraid it would disappear now that Bro Rutherford was dead. The mature sister that studied with mom reassured her that things would just go on as they had been. She assured her that Jehovah was overseeing the work of the organization. So in hindsight the fact that Bro. Knorr was appointed worked out to be exactly what was needed to bring the organization into the modern age and look at us now. We're crying alright but it is with tears of joy. Thank You Jehovah and May Your Kingdom Come.  

On 8/14/2018 at 9:47 AM, Saffron said:

Thought provoking indeed. I'm going to listen again to fully absorb the points, then meditate on how to apply this to my life. 

We always get what we need when we need it, so let's see what happens. 

One can also think that governmental persecution has also taken place in the US, during the 30's and 40's.   They used to tar and feather our brothers, when they refused to stop preaching, or when they refused to salute the flag. Jehovah gave them a hard head like he did Jeremiah.  He is doing the same in Russia and now in Singapore.  Wow.  If he could do it then he can do it now.