JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

18 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I can't help feeling a bit uneasy that absolutely anyone,they don't have to be a member or logged in, can look at profiles and personal details and conversations on here.

How do they do that?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Even without being a member or logged in..that's the part I don't understand...

then why do we have to sign in to 'get' in..need a user name and password...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I have always enjoyed that fact. And I see the risk as minimal. It took me years before I even realized this forum existed. 

The reason I like it is because it allows people to see the kind of people we are. We are kind loving people who are what we say we are. And the information shared doesn’t have to be specific enough to identify anyone unless that’s what they choose. 

We we take risks everyday with regards to privacy. When we shop online, put our name on a newsletter list, or buy gas we are exposing ourselves to potential abuses. We accept certain risks because the bonuses outweigh the risks. I have come to trust this forum and those who run it. Just remember it is your individual choice to decide if you trust something or not. And whether or not you want to take that risk. 

10 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

I have always enjoyed that fact. And I see the risk as minimal. It took me years before I even realized this forum existed. 

The reason I like it is because it allows people to see the kind of people we are. We are kind loving people who are what we say we are. And the information shared doesn’t have to be specific enough to identify anyone unless that’s what they choose. 

We we take risks everyday with regards to privacy. When we shop online, put our name on a newsletter list, or buy gas we are exposing ourselves to potential abuses. We accept certain risks because the bonuses outweigh the risks. I have come to trust this forum and those who run it. Just remember it is your individual choice to decide if you trust something or not. And whether or not you want to take that risk. 

I think I would prefer a degree of privacy though.   Not everyone is that great out there.  I certainly would only put photos of my face if it was visible only for logged in members.

Edited by Naturale

I can certainly understand wanting more privacy. But, sadly it’s a construct of a bygone era. It simply does not exist anymore.i think it’s okay to do what you can to limit your exposure. But I think this forum is worth it. But bring the issue up to the mods. Those in charge here seem to be open to suggestions 

People I don't know see my face every single day - and have my entire life.  I guess allowing the friends here - and on Facebook - to see it bothers me even less than that.  :shrug:  What bothers me more, honestly, is when people *don't* show their faces.  I like to know who I'm talking to.

Like Steven said, true privacy is pretty much a joke these days if you want to be online at all.  I have nothing to hide, no money to steal... I'm fine with my picture, profile, whatever, being viewable.  No one can do anything with it... my credit is so bad that if anyone could actually get somewhere with my "identity", they're a better person than I am.  

Literally.  😕  

Edited by Hope

I agree that when things like that happen it makes us more cautious and that’s okay. It’s a quality Jehovah likes. It’s all about what we are comfortable with. Do what you need to be comfortable. Your brothers and sisters will support you anyway we can. 

For me I treat my online life the same as my real world one. When I walk down the street my face ends on at least ten cameras not counting drone footage. I introduce myself to thousands of people in my public witnessing . I’m sure anyone in town could tell you where I live and what I drive. And I stil feel safe because these are all people I know. 

My point is our experience color our world view. And that when bad things happen we shouldn’t let them unduly control us from there on. Because in my experience for the most part most people do not want to do us harm. 

I do remember a time I was googling something, and a post that I made here on the forum came up... it had to come from one of the forums publicly visible. It was nothing personal but still a surprise because I didn't know a it could end up on a search engine visible to the world. I thought All forums were private but we are told which ones are public..just need to be conscious of that when we're posting..

Susanna, I would take all the care you need to keep your privacy, especially in view of the fact that you've been stalked.  You don't have to show your face, and information on your profile viewable by others can be left vague, like your location.  Keep in mind when you post on public forums, like this one, anyone including "guests" can read it.  Even if you do post in members only forums, it is still a risk (albeit small) that your posts could be re-posted.

This is as good as it gets, Susanna.  It is a very well-moderated forum with good admins/mods looking out for us.  We have a good core of regulars who are diligent in helping others.  It has a good overall spirit, and we look out for each other.  Until the end, there are no guarantees though.  So, cautious as serpents, innocent as doves.

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Susanna, I would take all the care you need to keep your privacy, especially in view of the fact that you've been stalked.  You don't have to show your face, and information on your profile viewable by others can be left vague, like your location.  Keep in mind when you post on public forums, like this one, anyone including "guests" can read it.  Even if you do post in members only forums, it is still a risk (albeit small) that your posts could be re-posted.

This is as good as it gets, Susanna.  It is a very well-moderated forum with good admins/mods looking out for us.  We have a good core of regulars who are diligent in helping others.  It has a good overall spirit, and we look out for each other.  Until the end, there are no guarantees though.  So, cautious as serpents, innocent as doves.

Do you know how I can change my name? Somehow, I am afraid I will be accused dishonest if I change my name... But , anyway, I don't see how I can change my name, not username, but name...

:bouncing:

I use "Qapla" on most all forums I am on - I have done this for many, many years - not because I have something to hide, it is just what I do ...

I do have my real first name listed ... but, if you think 30 people turn around for "Steve" - try to count the number that turn for "John" 

As far as what people see when not logged in - most of the forums I am on have a two-level forum structure. General forums are visible to visitors while additional "Member" forums become visible when a member logs in. Also, visitors usually cannot post on any forum they are not logged in to.

I have noticed many I know personally that have seemed surprised I am on forums and ask me if I am not worried about my privacy post pictures and all sorts of other things on Facebook, Instagram and other various type sites :eek:

Now, as for my avatar ... well, with a user name like "Qapla" - using something non-Klingon just doesn't seem right - besides, I really don't have any current pictures of me ... not one much for taking selfies :nope: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes I agree but I just don't understand why everything is public and viewable by those not logged in.  No worries I'm good at being vague :D