JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Space, Our Eternal Frontier?

9 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

And speaking of space. Since we anticipate that the total number of resurrected persons will be gradually filled over the coarse of the millennium. Then just maybe, in one thousand years the human family under Jehovah’s direction will be guided in achieving interstellar travel. Then the population vs resources issue will be completely nullified!

i prefer to the time travel rather than interstellar travel

outer space look less attractive. planets in the solar system we have known only consisted of solid rock and gas

the rest is unhabitable or just too far.

Edited by tuntun

25 minutes ago, tuntun said:

outer space look less attractive. planets in the solar system we have known only consisted of solid rock and gas

Only too far with our current technology, but we may advance in the future, or Jehovah might enable us to travel through miraculous means, similar to how angels can travel with ease. There have said to be planets similar to Earth out there known already. To me it makes sense, if humans live forever and have children forever, we'd need infinite space, and that's exatly what we have in this universe ever expanding. Just as Jehovah did not "simply make the Earth for nothing", surely he has some purpose for this infinite universe.

https://www.space.com/30172-six-most-earth-like-alien-planets.html.

Perhaps once the Earth is cultivated and his purpose is finally fullfilled as originally intended, Jehovah will make other planets we know of blossom with life, or create 'new' livable planets for humans to keep expanding.

Edited by EccentricM

9 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Perhaps once the Earth is cultivated and his purpose is finally fullfilled as originally intended, Jehovah will make other planets we know of blossom with life, or create 'new' livable planets for humans to keep expanding.

a month ago i got visit from elders for shepherding visit. i asked them after the 1000 year of reign is there possibility for man to explore space since they're already perfect?.

but it seem they don't see it as a possibility. since the bible clearly says the earth has been given to the men, but heaven is belong to Jehovah.

I asked this because it seem fun to walk and eating in restaurant while enjoying view the planet of mars. they said this is just fantasy of some movie. (they said many movies based on mars are actually was made in USA - maybe on Grand Canyon national park). it's really impossible to live in open surface on other planet without oxygen supply and gravity.

maybe outer place is a nice place to visit but not to live.

18 minutes ago, tuntun said:

i got visit from elders for shepherding visit. i asked them after the 1000 year of reign is there possibility for man to explore space since they're already perfect?.

but it seem they don't see it as a possibility

Interesting, sounds lke where you are Elders have very different opinions to other localities, as I've spoken to some who have the opposite opinion. I do agree space belongs to Jehovah though and he has only said for now that the "Earth" belongs to us, and so I wonder if it's right to try and land and colonize other planets right now, but I wouldn't put aside the possiblity later.

it's really impossible to live in open surface on other planet without oxygen supply and gravity. 

People live in space even now and manage with technology. But I wasn't really talking about places like Mars, but I was thinking Jehovah could just make planets like Earth with oxygen on them, or he could make the current planets in our solar system have oxygen, water and food if he wanted to. (Hence why I linked the article on planets being out there similar to Earth)

Edited by EccentricM

10 hours ago, tuntun said:

Until we terraform them under Jehovah’s direction. 

1 hour ago, tuntun said:

a month ago i got visit from elders for shepherding visit. i asked them after the 1000 year of reign is there possibility for man to explore space since they're already perfect?.

but it seem they don't see it as a possibility. since the bible clearly says the earth has been given to the men, but heaven is belong to Jehovah.

I asked this because it seem fun to walk and eating in restaurant while enjoying view the planet of mars. they said this is just fantasy of some movie. (they said many movies based on mars are actually was made in USA - maybe on Grand Canyon national park). it's really impossible to live in open surface on other planet without oxygen supply and gravity.

maybe outer place is a nice place to visit but not to live.

With Jehovah all things are ______________. This is true of space travel, time travel ( Paul May have once spoken of this “ caught away to the third heaven) . Or learningbto love the mastery of agriculture or Mathematics in my case.

Edited by BenJepthah

1 hour ago, tuntun said:

When Witnesses mention this, I like to refer them to one of our publications:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101986092

Worldwide Security Under the Prince of Peace

Chapter 22, Paragraph 10

10 To all eternity our earth will bear a distinction that no other planet throughout endless space will enjoy, though the earth may not be the only planet that will ever be inhabited. Uniquely, it will be where Jehovah has indisputably vindicated his universal sovereignty, establishing an eternal and universal legal precedent. It will be the only planet on which Jehovah of armies will have fought “the war of the great day of God the Almighty.” It will be the only planet to which God sent his dearest Son to become a man and die in order to recover the planet’s inhabitants from sin and death. It will be the only planet from which Jehovah will have taken 144,000 of its inhabitants to be “heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ.”—Romans 8:17.

So the possibility exists.  After all, there are only 2 options.  Either humans will at some point in time stop having children or we will spread humanity out from Earth among the stars.  There simply is no other choice.  There is only so much room on the planet.  At some point it will be filled with humans who will never die.  

The viewpoint that Jehovah would prohibit or forbid humans from going to other planets because "the heavens belong to Jehovah" is very narrow-minded.  By that logic, humans should not fly in airplanes or balloons because that is in the heavens.  

Jehovah creates everything for a purpose.  It is estimated there are 2 trillion, (that's 2 thousand billion) galaxies.  Why would Jehovah make that many galaxies, each of them containing billions of stars and billions of planets, if humans who are supposed to live forever would never go to any of those places?  That would be like building houses but never letting anyone live in them but can only look at them through telescopes.  

11 hours ago, tuntun said:

I find that the resurrection hope fulfills the desire for time travel.  We will meet and get to know everyone through history.  The only thing we will miss is actually watching historical events and seeing historical places.  That's fine and acceptable to me.

The ability to travel in time would cause perfect humans to be exposed to Satan's sinful and corrupt world.  By traveling into the past these perfect humans would open themselves up to outright demonic attack or, at the very least, expose them to all the problems caused by Satan.  Sickness, disease, war, poverty, crime, sexual immorality, violence.  Is the ability to see historical events and places worth such a risk?  With few exceptions all historical individuals will be resurrected and we will converse with them first-hand.

Edited by Shawnster

8 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I find that the resurrection hope fulfills the desire for time travel.  We will meet and get to know everyone through history.  The only thing we will miss is actually watching historical events and seeing historical places.  That's fine and acceptable to me.

The ability to travel in time would cause perfect humans to be exposed to Satan's sinful and corrupt world.  By traveling into the past these perfect humans would open themselves up to outright demonic attack or, at the very least, expose them to all the problems caused by Satan.  Sickness, disease, war, poverty, crime, sexual immorality, violence.  Is the ability to see historical events and places worth such a risk?  With few exceptions all historical individuals will be resurrected and we will converse with them first-hand.

Exposure ! That is a brilliant point! Who would want that! A very good point 1000 likes. Additionally with perfect minds we could just review those things within our own timelines with perfect and {self  edited } recall. 

Edited by BenJepthah

17 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I don't think time travel could be possible due to Jehovah's promises anyway. It's why I think that time as we know it, is the "only time", the future and past do not exist, only records of the past, and then what Jehovah promises will happen for the future.

If time travel was a thing, it would mean that we'd have all different time zones going on at once, but that would mean Satan and the wicked "in some form, or some time/dimention" will always exist, and Jehovah promises all of that will be destroyed forever, but if one could time travel, then in a sense it gives Satan a form of immortality, even if nobody ever time travelled, he would be "somewhere" out there in a sense. Hence also why I do not believe in parallel universes and alike.

Edited by EccentricM

Actually the only form of "time travel" I can concieve of, is through some sort of super teloscope. Because light travels, light is how we see images. For example, the stars we see in the sky or not "live", but what we see is from many years into the past, because it takes time for light to reach us.

With this concept, I wonder if one could "see a movie of the past" via catching up with the light that travels from the Earth somehow with advanced tools.

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

Actually the only form of "time travel" I can concieve of, is through some sort of super teloscope. Because light travels, light is how we see images. For example, the stars we see in the sky or not "live", but what we see is from many years into the past, because it takes time for light to reach us.

With this concept, I wonder if one could "see a movie of the past" via catching up with the light that travels from the Earth somehow with advanced tools.

Interesting idea.

14 hours ago, tuntun said:

planets in the solar system we have known only consisted of solid rock and gas

the rest is inhabitable

Genesis 1:1 tells us that the earth was created "in the beginning" - at that point, the earth was inhabitable also. It was not until Jehovah  prepared it during the seven creative days that it was able to sustain life.

He could do the same for additional planets before letting/sending/assigning us to go there to "fill and subdue" them ... just like we are to do with this earth.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

14 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Perhaps he already in process of doing so, but with our current "medieval" telescopes we can see that far.....

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Jesus said his Father keeps working and so does he .... so, it seems the only thing Jehovah rested from was creation/work directly connected to this planet - not the entire Universe.

So, YES, he could be preparing other planets for habitation while still resting from works concerning THIS planet.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

An interesting perspective I came across some time ago ... was this:

There are three continuum:

Time

Space and

Matter

You can't have space and matter without time, and you can't have time and matter without space - as there wouldn't be anywhere to put the matter.

All three came into existence simultaneously - as we all know.

Each continuum has three dimensions to it:

Time has past, present, future

Space has Width, height and breadth

Matter has water, solid and gas

So in conclusion of this I have to say that because we are matter, we should be able to fit anywhere that these three exist - Jehovah willing.*

*This is the crux of the matter, even if we CAN fit, it is always to do with fitting into Jehovah's will.

Will be interesting to see what Jehovah's will is - if its not for us to experience the other planets first hand, I am confident we will see and understand why these planets exist in the future.

55 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Jesus said his Father keeps working and so does he .... so, it seems the only thing Jehovah rested from was creation/work directly connected to this planet - not the entire Universe.

So, YES, he could be preparing other planets for habitation while still resting from works concerning THIS planet.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly - Geneis 1:1 is pertaining to the creation of the earth ... the universe was already in place.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I was thinking about "entropy". This second law of thermodynamics helps us understand that everything in the universe will decay, everything will become disordered. The only way something does not fall into disorder is if is protected, maintained. And the universe is not decaying, it is not in disorder. Instead of all the galaxies and planets falling apart in disorder, millions of galaxies and planets are either being born or are being maintained. The only way this can happen is if the powerful Grand Creator is "maintaining" them. Jehovah has a purpose as regard to all of those galaxies and planets, it seems quite reasonable that Jehovah will allow life to prosper and flourish in the future throughout millions and billions of various galaxies. :o

*** hl section 3 Who Can Give Us Reliable Guidance? ***
Professor George Zinsmeister...is referring to what scientists term “the second law of thermodynamics.” This law implies something that we all observe. An orderly system, such as a house, cannot come into existence on its own. Yet, our universe consists of countless examples of highly ordered physical and biological systems.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Everyone except the dinosaurs....😉

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

8 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I find that the resurrection hope fulfills the desire for time travel.  We will meet and get to know everyone through history.  The only thing we will miss is actually watching historical events and seeing historical places.  That's fine and acceptable to me.T

once, i read a watchtower magazine. it told a story about a boy in school who got assignment from his teacher. what would we do if we could travel to the past?. 

most student said they want to fixed something. one said he want to killed hitler so holocaust would never happened. 

one of our brother said he want to go back to garden of eden so he could cut off the head of serpent  so mankind would never falled into sin.

so we wouldn't need to get through all these. history with all these suffering, war, famine, etc are just a imagination of people who ever live on earth.

We don't actually need spaceships to travel thousands of  light years away because the earth and our galaxy are already travelling through space at incredible speed!

In fact, in about 5 billion years Milky Way will begin to merge with Andromeda galaxy.   At that time many planets (star systems) will be within travel distance that are currently out of reach.

Even before that our galaxy will interact with many of thousands of galaxies heading for the Great Attractor! (besides Andromeda).

Concerning the Great Attractor, see:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101990412?q=great+attractor&amp;p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101996042?q=great+attractor&p=par

Also, one interpretation of WMAP data indicates our universe is already interacting with another universe.    If so, we may in future Octillions of years be able to terraform planets from another universe!

Btw - thread title reminds me of Star Trek!