JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

HOT - Hands On Training - Maintenance - IDEAS

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1798 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just looking for some more info on HOT - Hands On Training @ the KH

anybody here a Maint trainer or been assigned the trainer role for a specific skill

looking for some recommendations - thoughts - ideas

we get the JHA - Job Hazard Analysis and we have some instructions for trainers that encourage us to follow Jesus loving example.

Just looking for any practical instructions to improve my delivery

(we had a short spiritual reminder and some practical reviews of hazards -then we went about our tasks

so had great buy-in @ 1 event (mix of young and old) then mediocre response @ another event

or If anyone attended the training and appreciate a way the brother did the training

or if you had a good/bad training any thoughts on things to do/avoid

looking for thoughts and suggestions

Thanx in advance

Yes, I am a maintenance trainer for chairs and carpet/flooring.

I have had good response from the Congregations where I have taught classes. Mostly older ones were in my classes - but, there was a satisfying number of young ones at the Hall and many of them were in teams for trades that benefited greatly having young, fit, willing helpers.

One thing to keep in mind is that the JHA and Task Card for a given trade is to be "tailored" to the Hall where the training is taking place. Not all Halls have the same equipment or needs. For instance, some KH's have stack-able chairs, some have folding chairs and some have "theater" chairs. While all of these chairs have similarities, like they all have seat cusions, thay are not all built the same and have very different hardware needs.

One of the things I do is cover the JHA and the Task Card with the volunteers and explain/ask why some of the cautions are in place and ask if they can think of any additional ideas. If they do think of something that is valid, simply add it to the needed form for updating by the LDC staff.

I also show any "special" tools needed for the job and include any cautions needed to use these tools - for instance, a carpet knife can be quite dangerous.

I walk them through the start of the task and then let them have "hands on" experience - they do not learn as much if they just watch me do all the work.

On my last Hall, we needed to repair the lectern on the stage since it would no longer adjust properly. I waited until all the carpet and the chairs had been inspected and any needed repairs completed before addressing the lectern. That way, all in the group could be present while we disassembled the lectern to see what was wrong. We were able to fix it. However, since the lectern they use for the second school was beyond reasonable repair, we recommended replacing the one on the stage and moving the one we repaired to the second school. This helps them learn that it is OK to recommend work/replacement that cannot be done on the day of the maintenance.

Some of the trades have them take things apart even though there are no "problems" - this way they learn how to fix things if there were a problem. For instance, they removed and reinstalled the traps in the restroom sinks so they could see how they work and how they are replaced, if needed.

The Brother doing the irrigation had them dig up a valve in the back area of the yard even though there were no bad valves so they could see how they look and how to dig one up without damaging it. On another Hall, they actually replaced a bad valve.

Typically, a Maintenance Trainer Overseer will be assigned 8 KH's. A Skill Trainer may be asked to assist more than one MTO in his area. I currently assist three. I do not teach at all 8 Halls for each MTO but I do teach at Halls in my general area covered by these various MTO's

You may also want to watch the video Trained as Safe, Skilled Workers, found in the Video on Demand section of tv.jw.org under Our Activities >Theocratic Schools and Training.

What skill are you teaching?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

I get to be a volunteer Task Card holder person thingy!  :D  Our training is March 23 (first day of campaign, but y'know... needs must )  😉 

I know you haven't been trained yet, but what does a volunteer task card holder person thingy do?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We usually have one of the volunteers hold a copy of the task card. They are responsible to take any needed notes and add to the card, at the direction of the trainer, anything needed to be added for that KH - and to check off the tasks as they are completed.

22 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We usually have one of the volunteers hold a copy of the task card. They are responsible to take any needed notes and add to the card, at the direction of the trainer, anything needed to be added for that KH - and to check off the tasks as they are completed.

Thanks. It's a different process doing a task Card at the AH.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I know you haven't been trained yet, but what does a volunteer task card holder person thingy do?

Whatever they're told to do, I imagine... 😉 

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

And yah - this is for the Kingdom Hall, not Assembly Hall

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, Hope said:

Whatever they're told to do, I imagine... 😉 

And yah - this is for the Kingdom Hall, not Assembly Hall

so how did your training go?....any great ideas or things you truly enjoyed

I really want to make it fun and memorable for all the volunteers

did you also update some steps on the JHA and the TASK Card

I also get the local folks to read parts of the JHA and we discuss them in a bit of detail

this last one was Fall protection and Roofing and ladders and Gutters --- 

the local friends get a video/slideshow -- then when we went outside to do some harness taining and get on the roof I mentioned the JHA and asked what they thought should be on it

the covered 10-12 points without me mentioning the points - i think we only added 1 from the JHA to our discussion

and they even added a new hazard - Wasps/bees etc - that we had not written -- but was appropriate for this hall

I will be teaching a HOT class this Saturday - Carpets and Mats

Hmmmmm ... I just noticed the "underline" is not the same color as the text :(  Oh Well, that is a subject for a different thread

Edited by Qapla

• 1 month later...

That one went quite well. I did not find out until I got there that I was teaching "Chairs and Furniture" also. I had a large group of willing learners, some older and a few younger ones (this is the first time I have had younger ones)

We had to do a couple of repairs. Both lecterns needed repairs. as well as a few auditorium chair arms. We found that the floor mats/rugs at the entry area needed replacing and passed that commendation along.

With such a large group, we were finished by lunch - which was a good thing since I needed to leave that area by 2 PM for another engagement.

I have sine had another class just a couple weeks ago in St. Augustine. This time, only chairs. I had a group of older ones, 2 sisters and 1 brother. The class went good and the chair inspection was fairly quick since their chairs are in really good condition. We took the lectern apart to fix lose front legs. They found that interesting because they had never known how the lectern worked.

We finished that day early also - which was good since I was invited to hold this class at the "last minute" (short notice ... I was called on Thursday to see if I could do it that Sat) and my family was having a "Family Dinner" that was 2½ drive from that Hall - and I had to go through Gainesville to pick up my FIL.

BTW - just curious ... is this your Hall?

image.png.62e973d02c540f17d15c3fa6378ed012.png

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)