JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

LDC - how are projects going in your area

Just wondering how LDC is going throughout the country / world??

we are back to Covid Level 4 - and wearing masks outdoors also….(it was only indoors for a month or 2)

and I really wanted to give props to the All-girl crew that did some fantastic concrete prep today….in 90+ degree weather

we pour Friday…small pad, long sidewalk, dumpster pad ..stairwell…building Entry area and a large site entry that will be stamped and stained

8-9 sisters (from 20-60+yrs old)

…dug…formed…footers-jack hammer-compactor…pick axe-staked and framed..squared & leveled…expansion joint..tied rebar & built rebar mesh matt ….laser  leveled  and cleaned up

I stood around and watched….lol

I think this is the first time …in decades….I’ve ever seen an entire Concrete project or feature completed/prepped entirely by sisters

And tomorrow they will be pouring leveling finishing and stamping the concrete

The army of sisters is a joy to watch in their service to Jehovah

• 4 months later...

Our congregation has a complete replacement of our 3 HVAC units on Nov 10 & 11 next month.  I have a couple of skills in LDC one of which is HVAC.  The project oversight is with a brother who I have known in the business (as well as the Truth) for decades.  His father (also a brother) and I worked together for many years.

I have looked forward to this project for many years.  But now, I can only work on the first day because the LDC scheduled it during our Circuit Pioneer Day on the 11th.  The Assembly Hall where the Pioneers meet is close to 2 hours away.  My daughter (a pioneer) has a part and has to be there an hour early.  She is driving so we will be leaving before 7 am.  I wanted to work on the project both days but it is not to be.

We had a "major remodel" planned before COVID. It got put on hold for two years. When regulations started to ease the LDC advised us that our project would be put back on the schedule. However, with the recent increased demand for LDC activity in the wake of hurricane Ian, I expect to hear that our project is back on hold.

We had a local maintenance day - this Saturday @ 1:00  …

we also had 20 folks head to Naples Florida for DRC/Stabilization (for the weekend) 

Seen 2-3 hubs running on west coast (Florida)

Ft Myers / Cape Coral  /Naples

transitioning from local support and local DR to full DRC hubs

Heard informally 5200 folks were displaced 

Those I personally saw … some friends had 2’ of water in their home

…many thoughts and prayers to those dealing with these disasters

We have an approved project to air-condition our Kingdom Hall.

According to the LDC, we are on schedule, but we have some KHs in the region in need of urgent renovations, so we are still waiting, we can't wait to start this project, the climate here continues to heat up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday and Friday we are replacing 3 Heating AC units.  Last week we poured some concrete for pads for these units.

I am skilled in HVAC and this is my Kingdom Hall.  But I am able to help Thursday only.  On Friday we have the Circuit Pioneer Meeting 2 hrs away at the assembly. hall.

One of the Kingdom Halls in our area had a major renovation started pre covid then halted due to covid.  It was about 3/4 completed.  A couple of months ago it was started up again.  I am going to work for 2 weeks starting next Monday, on the painting team.  It should be completed shortly.  2 congregations use it and since in person meetings resumed, due to travel issues one of those congregations has continued all meetings on Zoom.  They are really looking forward to getting back to the  Kingdom Hall.  Plus this hall never had air conditioning and now finally has it.  I live in the town closest to this hall and many locals thought we halted the renovation due to running out of money.  Funny how people think.  I was at one time in the congregation that met there and not having air conditioning was horrible as we live in a sub tropical area the heat/humidity made meetings very uncomfortable.  In summer the brothers never wore jackets on the platform etc.  

• 3 weeks later...

As many of you know two of the Kingdom Halls in the Olympia, Lacey area in Washington state, burned down from arson and others in the area were targeted.  One of the Kingdom Halls that burned down is being rebuilt and it's almost ready.  It will begin being used in January.🙂

Edited by Sequoia

Last weekend we had maintenance on our KH.

The main objective was the ceiling. We cleaned the lining inside, replaced the burnt out light bulbs, replaced the faulty speakers, and the sisters finished leaving the ceiling shining (after so many handprints 😄)

It was great to receive instructions from the LDC to carry out this work safely and efficiently.