JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Carry a Gun without a license in Ky?!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1880 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Okay so the house - for the state of Kentucky - just passed a law that will allow anyone 21 and older to carry a weapon without a license.... https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/ky-legislature/2019/03/01/kentucky-house-votes-to-let-people-carry-concealed-guns-without-a-permit/3028517002/  and the governor says he will sign it into law... https://www.graydc.com/content/news/Kentuckys-Gov-Matt-Bevin-says-he-will-sign-concealed-carry-bill-into-law-506575381.html   

The legislation, supported by the National Rifle Association, passed in the state House 60-37. It would let people carry a concealed gun without a permit or training, which is currently required.

I wonder if this will have an impact on our meetings or field service here... 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

19 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Naw, just 'Murican...

I read something earlier about a church that had it's own armed church security team...:pistols::bible2:

Didn't really surprise me, much...

Yes... because they need to protect their business. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:50 PM, cricket246 said:

Okay so the house - for the state of Kentucky - just passed a law that will allow anyone 21 and older to carry a weapon without a license.... https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/ky-legislature/2019/03/01/kentucky-house-votes-to-let-people-carry-concealed-guns-without-a-permit/3028517002/  and the governor says he will sign it into law... https://www.graydc.com/content/news/Kentuckys-Gov-Matt-Bevin-says-he-will-sign-concealed-carry-bill-into-law-506575381.html   

The legislation, supported by the National Rifle Association, passed in the state House 60-37. It would let people carry a concealed gun without a permit or training, which is currently required.

I wonder if this will have an impact on our meetings or field service here... 

It will be unlikely to affect meetings or the field ministry. The concept : “ constitutional carry” is in reality the default law without restrictions applied in the United States. ( Kentucky has just removed the general restrictions and requirements most other states impose : for whatever it’s worth ). Felons would still not be able to carry as a federal statute may still apply. 

Further, brandishing a weapon is still probably an offense as would be terroristic threatening and as such ( even if a Ky resident possesses such a conceivable weapon ) displaying the weapon unholstered would be a violation of those laws. 

Indiana just to the north is a “ Shall Issue “ state when it comes to permits for unrestricted carry. As are many states.. That said I’ve rarely Seen a handgun although many residents do possess such weapons. 

Both of these permitting laws depend upon the person being able to legally buy a firearm ( which requires a background check by two different federal agencies). As with all cases in which a weapon is used we only ever know about it after the fact. 

With all of that background information. And knowing that Jehovah’s people have no need to practice this kind of self defense. We , being faithful servants of Jehovah should not have any morbid fear of harm over such a change in Law.  I hope this knowledge is comforting.

I know if people follow the laws it would be okay as the guns would be holstered.... im just worried about the people who don’t repect laws and thats half the Ky population, no joke. Our congregation has elders ran off from peoples houses - chased with brooms, guns pointed at them. I will still be happy to go in the ministry 🥰 I will just be more cautious now lol 😅 The world is only gonna get worse so Im learning to adapT in my witnessing. ❤️

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

1 hour ago, cricket246 said:

I know if people follow the laws it would be okay as the guns would be holstered.... im just worried about the people who don’t repect laws and thats half the Ky population, no joke. Our congregation has elders ran off from peoples houses - chased with brooms, guns pointed at them. I will still be happy to go in the ministry 🥰 I will just be more cautious now lol 😅 The world is only gonna get worse so Im learning to adapT in my witnessing. ❤️

That’s everywhere, to be expected, and in a way something to be proud of in our service to Jehovah. Some of us have even had dogs set upon us. Some threatened with a crowbar. To me the gun threat is just a really good story to tell by the campfire. But my families funniest one was an attack goose on the rampage!

If someone here in this country points a gun at me at his own home, I call the police, and they will arrest the homeowner. Gun culture here is so different...

I can also do so if their dog attacks me while walking up to their door, or if they threaten my health and security in any other way. (Legally, I can even do so if I slip on a patch of ice on their property, but most BoE’s have agreed not to do so.)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

If someone here in this country points a gun at me at his own home, I call the police, and they will arrest the homeowner. Gun culture here is so different...

I can also do so if their dog attacks me while walking up to their door, or if they threaten my health and security in any other way. (Legally, I can even do so if I slip on a patch of ice on their property, but most BoE’s have agreed not to do so.)

Despite popular opinion these things are also generally true in the US.

4 hours ago, cricket246 said:

It can be very intimidating to have somebody near you with a pistol strapped to their side, once a few years ago while selling some things for my in-laws in Franklin Ky. 2 men showed up to purchase what we had advertised for sale on Craigslist both with long hair and full beards and both with pistols holstered on them when I said to them " oh, pistols huh"! One of them replied " well this is Kentucky ya know"! They were both x military and advised my brother in law and myself to start carrying. They both wound up being very pleasant and bought several items, I also just gave them several items for free. 😆

With most people, it only makes me nervous if the person carrying the gun starts acting angry or paranoid lol. I know relatives who carry a weapon (non jw) and I have told them to be careful, someone could take the gun and use it on them. 

One thing I will not do while going door to door is open the storm door if a home has one, to either knock or place a track in the main door, you just never know if the householder considers that an intrusion and may be waiting to do harm or shoot you thinking you are breaking in. Several  years ago in Detroit, Michigan a woman (not a witness) was lost and somewhat confused because her car broke down, went to a door at night time and started to open the storm door, a man with a shotgun was waiting on the other side, as she opened  the outer door he swung open the main door and shot her in the face killing her! He went to prison for that, too late for her.People are living in fear and if they have a weapon or gun will use it, I do believe.Here in Middle Tennessee we have a lot of night workers, Smyrna Nissan plant Bridgestone, GM ( Spring Hill) and others so I tend not to ring door bells or knock overly hard  in the early morning unless I know someone is present and up.Now with the latest Ring Door bells with video and other cameras homes have , I think it makes it safer for both us at the doors and puts the  homeowners at ease.

21 hours ago, cricket246 said:

With most people, it only makes me nervous if the person carrying the gun starts acting angry or paranoid lol. I know relatives who carry a weapon (non jw) and I have told them to be careful, someone could take the gun and use it on them. 

I find that people who act angry or paranoid make me nervous and paranoid. Then I just assume they have a gun wether they do or not.😬

On 3/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, cricket246 said:

Cricket, no worries.  The home owners already have the guns.  You just don't see them often.  :)  Now they can walk around with them.  I hear that there are certain areas that people are more included to pull a gun, but around here, we don't see that too often.  

On 3/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, BenJepthah said:

That’s everywhere, to be expected, and in a way something to be proud of in our service to Jehovah. Some of us have even had dogs set upon us. Some threatened with a crowbar. To me the gun threat is just a really good story to tell by the campfire. But my families funniest one was an attack goose on the rampage!

An attack goose or chicken is hard to get away from.  They are relentless.  :)