JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody seen any of these shows

I'm unsure if it is common knowledge that a tv show rated

TV-MA is the equivalent to rated "R"

For example GOT is TV-MA. Since the slave has made clear that R rated movies are a no no it stands to reason that we must consider the other types of ratings as well. The majority of these shows discussed in this thread are TV-MA and so they contain everything similar to an R rated movie.

https://itstillworks.com/tvma-mean-netflix-36972.html

This source and a few others has this to say about TV-MA rated shows:

"Using movie ratings that you might find more familiar, the equivalent rating would be "R" or "NC-17."

Without compromising direction from the slave some law vs crime type shows we have really enjoyed:

White Collar

Person of Interest 

Lie to Me

Blacklist 

Limitless (only went on for 1 season 😣

Edited by CynthiaG

4 hours ago, CynthiaG said:

For example GOT is TV-MA. Since the slave has made clear that R rated movies are a no no...

I was not aware that the Slave has taken a stand on any worldly classification of movies, any movie rating. Do you have a source for this statement or is it personal opinion? :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Just a side note here about the movie ratings, movie ratings is not a force of law, it is strictly voluntary by a group of parents that get together and discuss about said movie then vote based on making an educated estimate as to which rating most parents will consider the most appropriate for their children. Any movie can be bad to watch, I wouldn’t go with a movie rating to make your final decision.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, Old said:

I was not aware that the Slave has taken a stand on any worldly classification of movies, any movie rating. Do you have a source for this statement or is it personal opinion?

I seem to recall mention of an M or R rating somewhere in print, but I cannot find it and am probably wrong. I'm probably remembering something alluding to G or PG movies not necessarily safe or a good standard to go by. Some references:
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/do-jehovahs-witnesses-ban-certain-entertainment/
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101990848?q=pg-13&p=par
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102005170#h=14:0-15:767
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101990564#h=7:0-11:376
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102005323
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1204279#h=47
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200273935#h=24
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/E/2019/49/5#study=discover

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODFamilyDailyPrinciples/pub-apv_3_VIDEO
https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODFamilyDailyPrinciples/pub-jwb_201809_3_VIDEO

On 5/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, JayMusicGirl said:

The service vidangel

I haven't watched anything on there, but I do enjoy Dry Bar Comedy which I believe they publish. I've seen them on their Youtube channel and Amazon Prime.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:19 PM, CynthiaG said:

For example GOT is TV-MA. Since the slave has made clear that R rated movies are a no no it stands to reason that we must consider the other types of ratings as well. The majority of these shows discussed in this thread are TV-MA and so they contain everything similar to an R rated movie.

https://itstillworks.com/tvma-mean-netflix-36972.html

This source and a few others has this to say about TV-MA rated shows:

"Using movie ratings that you might find more familiar, the equivalent rating would be "R" or "NC-17."

Without compromising direction from the slave some law vs crime type shows we have really enjoyed:

White Collar

Person of Interest 

Lie to Me

Blacklist 

Limitless (only went on for 1 season 😣

They no longer say TV-MA/rated R is a “no no”. I believe, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, that the OLD application for Bethel service included a few questions that have since been changed, one regarding rated R movies and another regarding listening to rap/metal music. Again, I might be remembering it wrong, but this was the late 90’s I think. 

It is perfectly fine if you choose not to watch anything with this rating. Many feel the same as you do. I do believe some R rated movies are rated such for the dumbest reasons. The King’s Speech was rated R, and we watched that. The reason for the rating? A long string of curse words that we fast forwarded through. It didn’t affect the story one bit. 

Also know that in other countries there is no common rating system, and brothers have to decide only based on conscience, not on a worldly given rating. 

I've always maintained that if the Bible was filmed accurately, it would garner an "R" rating.  There is a lot of violence and even a few sexual crimes described therein -- they are things that happened.  :(

Films like Schindler's List, Amistad, 12 Years a Slave and yes, The King's Speech really couldn't be made accurately and not fit the MPAA's rating of R.  However, I believe that context is everything.  The nudity in Schindler's List and Amistad were the furthest thing from sexy... it showed how humans seem to revel in dehumanizing others. 😢 

I'll be happy when there is no situation humans are going thru that contain such violence and abuse.

When sex and violence is portrayed in the Bible it is to give history and facts that explain the reason for something that happened later, like the rape of Dinah leading to the death of so many later, or the many righteous wars commanded by Jehovah.

Or,  moral lessons that later teach us what Jehovah thought of that event and how he dealt with it so we would know how to deal with similar situations in our own life.

None of it was for the reason it's portrayed in movies and books today...entertainment.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

5 minutes ago, Dove said:

When sex and violence is portrayed in the Bible it is to give history and facts that explain the reason for something that happened later, like the rape of Dinah leading to the death of so many later, or the many righteous wars commanded by Jehovah.

Or,  moral lessons that later teach us what Jehovah thought of that event and how he dealt with it so we would know how to deal with similar situations in our own life.

None of it was for the reason it's portrayed in movies and books today...entertainment.

Agreed - that's why I said that context is important.  The movies I listed above did not have nudity or violence in them for "entertainment", as in glorified or made to look fun or okay.

An accurately filmed Bible would merit an R rating under the MPAA, as context is not a consideration; only content.

When people bring up the violence and sex in the Bible they use  as an excuse for their reasons to read and watch the immorality they enjoy. 

But it’s not the same  purpose it’s in the Bible at all, is my point. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

30 minutes ago, Dove said:

When people bring up the violence and sex in the Bible they use  as an excuse for their reasons to read and watch the immorality they enjoy. 

But it’s not the same  purpose it’s in the Bible at all, is my point. 

That is not why I'm bringing it up.

15 hours ago, Dove said:

Just wanted to stress this point. Jehovah only includes examples of wrong where it is necessary to educate us as to what is righteous.
We can learn to understand it without participating or reveling in it.

(1 Corinthians 10:6) Now these things became examples for us, in order for us not to desire injurious things, as they desired them.
(1 Corinthians 10:11) Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the ends of the systems of things have come.
(1 Corinthians 14:20) Brothers, do not become young children in your understanding, but be young children as to badness; and become full-grown in your understanding.
(Romans 16:19) But I want you to be wise as to what is good, but innocent as to what is evil.

Edited by Myew

16 hours ago, Hope said:

An accurately filmed Bible would merit an R rating under the MPAA, as context is not a consideration; only content.

You are absolutely right, and acknowledging this fact does not mean one is saying it's okay to view content typically reserved for R rated movies. It's interesting to me how many will categorically reject certain movies based on very arbitrary things because they've adopted a very "American-centric" and rule-oriented view of entertainment. They'll often say that the Society says we shouldn't watch R rated movies. While that may have at one time been asked about on Bethel applications, I believe the new wording refers to "content inappropriate for Christians" which can also include PG-13 movies. I fear many have allowed themselves to watch some very unsavory things because "it's okay because it's PG-13." Right, because surely Satan can't use PG-13 movies to advance his thinking. /sarcasm

Also, Battlestar Galactica was awesome. Stargate SG-1 and Stargate:Atlantis are exceptional too. (Those sensitive to nudity should avoid the very first episode of Stargate: SG-1 and watch the 2009 re-edit version entitled "Children of the Gods" instead.)

1 hour ago, bobby said:

love that show 

saw the first year of Battlestar Galactica (reboot)

also youtube...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody watched "The Act" on hulu with Patricia Arquette and Joey King?

The series is about a very gutwrenching case of Munchhausen by proxy that led the desperate daughter to conspiracy to commit matricide in the USA, the case of the murder murder of Dee Dee Blanchard

We watched the one and a half hour documentary "Gypsy's revenge" recently and I don't think I ever saw anything in the realm of true crime that ever moved me like this. I wonder if the series is any good.

• 6 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 6:54 AM, ChocoBro said:

really look forward to HBO's "Chernobyl"

I've watched this show twice now, since I bought it on DVD.

It's a very compelling drama. And I love the deeper struggle it portrays between the lies and the truth. And I think that the Tchernobyl incident is probably the reason that the Soviet Union failed in the end. Because this system of distruthful, blind obedience to the hierarchy can work within an economy producing everyday goods and services.. but when dealing with something as delicate, volatile and hazardous as nuclear energy, this system of blind obedience no longer works, instead, it becomes life-threatening.

I really liked the quote at the end:

“To be a scientist is to be naive. We are so focused on our search for truth we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it. But it is always there whether we see it or not, whether we choose to or not. The truth doesn’t care about our needs or wants—it doesn’t care about our governments, our ideologies, our religions—to lie in wait for all time. This at last is the gift of Chernobyl. Where I once would fear the cost of truth, now I only ask what is the cost of lies.”

Movies...we just have to be honest to Jehovah as to what we watch. And enjoy. It’s hard. Some of us get exposed to things in real life that would not be up building in any circumstances. We spend a bit of our time filtering, and asking Jehovah to help so and so with the manner they handle stress. As our poor ears get assaulted. 
I know, over and over my husband has told me, after I refused to see something, “it was not that bad”. Not a R movie. 
Somehow in my life, I have seen movies rated R. Not many, but yes. 
What I have found is they will toss nasty speech in, where it could have easily done without. (I almost think they toss in objectionable words to appeal to the base desires of today’s society.)  Just tossed them in. Has nothing to do with a prurient  story line. Sorry, could be my life. (I’m asking my husband now and then, “Are you praying?”) 
We don’t think in terms of PG, R, or, G. We think in terms of what Jehovah approves of. I’ve seen some raunchy PG movies. We do not trust the system that Satan is in charge of to censor our entertainment.

What we love censors our entertainment. And hate. 
Bottom line, it is not the world that filters our entertainment. It is our heart. Trained by Jehovah. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 12/27/2019 at 4:59 AM, ChocoBro said:

I've watched this show twice now, since I bought it on DVD.

It's a very compelling drama. And I love the deeper struggle it portrays between the lies and the truth. And I think that the Tchernobyl incident is probably the reason that the Soviet Union failed in the end. Because this system of distruthful, blind obedience to the hierarchy can work within an economy producing everyday goods and services.. but when dealing with something as delicate, volatile and hazardous as nuclear energy, this system of blind obedience no longer works, instead, it becomes life-threatening.

I really liked the quote at the end:

The first three episodes are showing for free on the Roku channel (I don't have HBO). I'm hooked after the first 10 minutes!  :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, from what I heard, the new "Star Trek: Discovery" is an utter catastrophe. Does nothing to fit into pre-existing ST canon and offers completely unrelatable characters and apparently does nothing to build on the inspiring message of the original ST series. I see a lot of fans saying that the writers know nothing about Star Trek. The rotten tomatoes ratings seem to indicate that the show is, in fact, rubbish.

Then I heard Jonathan Frakes claiming that "Orville" is the new Star Trek of choice for fans. And I was surprised to hear that, because I always thought Orville was satirical, social critique. Sort of like "Black Mirror", but lighthearted and fun. Did they change the tone of the show to a more serious nature now?

7 minutes ago, PGgenius said:

I think really  your all  are littlebit childish and naive. And im surprising and astonisingh how wise satan really is.🥴

This must not have translated well. I can't imagine one of our members issuing such a put down.

I think I will go and suck my thumb, bye. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.