JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody seen any of these shows

On 6/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Wanda Hill said:

I'm interested in this answer. It's my understanding that a person can watch whatever they choose, but a Brother that is used as a MS or Elder cannot watch "R" rated movies?

It's a personal decision based on Bible Principles, after that it's a  matter  between a person and Jehovah.

We are not designated to "police" anyone, ant determine what a person can or cannot watch ...

For this, we were given Bible Principles.

Apply Bible Principles
Jehovah God gave Christians divine principles so that they can make sound decisions. Learning Bible principles and applying them can be likened to learning a language and using it. Once you have mastered the language, you can often tell when someone makes grammatical mistakes because what he says does not sound quite right. You may not be able to point out in specific grammatical terms exactly what is wrong with the statement, but you know it is wrong. When you learn Bible principles to the point of making them part of yourself, you can usually tell when a certain decision is inappropriate, out of harmony with divine principles. W06 4/15

So the question is ...Have I mastered the "language" of Bible Principles ..... ? (BTW - I am still learning)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Principles and a “Bible trained conscience” will help a person know when to avoid in movies, tv shows or anything that smacks of violence, immorality and anything else in Satan’s system.

Sure a person can watch what ever they want, but does it please Jehovah.

And we could ask ourself, if Jesus or Jehovah was sitting beside us would they be pleased with what our eyes are seeing? 

Definitely, love your comment, Br. Greg. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, PGgenius said:

No dear old .that is exactly what I said. thats's it's true  only true.

It's only an incredibly rude comment to simply plonk there like that without any explanation. In what way are we are we "childish and naive" because we exchange thoughts about whether a show is worth watching or not? And in what way is Satan, the greatest loser of all time, "wise"?

I try not to judge others as we each have to answer for our actions ❤️ But I do remember at one of our conventions in the past 1-2 years (in our area) that they said R rated movies were not for us and that we needed to be careful with even PG-PG 13 movies. And one brother even went on to say that if we wouldn't let our child watch it due to extreme violence/language/sexuality, why were we watching it?   It is a personal conscience matter but a comment they said really stuck with me : Could you sit down and watch it, if Jesus was a guest in your home and sitting next to you?... I personally choose not watch anything over Pg-13 (No 18, R, NC-17 or MA) but I would not be mean to someone who chose to. ❤️ Agree to disagree. ^_^

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

7 hours ago, cricket246 said:

Could you sit down and watch it, if Jesus was a guest in your home and sitting next to you?...

That is a good question, but it would have to be the Jesus who is done with his earthly missionary assignment and takes some time for well earnt rest & recovery... implying that first and foremost, you have to add to the equation that he would even want to spend time on such a mundane activity.. but even then that question also would not be simply answered in terms of PG-13 = yes and R-rated = no. Jesus conscience would not be bothered to watch an R-rated movie with historical content.. after all, he observes far worse things from heaven than you will ever see on screen.  (and some terrible things are written down in the Bible, too, that would be R-rated or even X-rated if depcited on screen). It also has to do with how graphically things that are bad are depicted, often it is more than sufficient to imply them happening without showing them. Sometimes, you need to show graphic content to bring a message across thoroughly and invoke emotions in the audience. To watch an R-rated movie with ficticious content for the sake of creating a discussion, I would say that is a definite "maybe". But to watch an R-rated movie with bad content that is there merely for the sake of entertaining, he would not waste a minute of his life.

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

Jesus conscience would not be bothered to watch an R-rated movie with historical content.. after all, he observes far worse things from heaven than you will ever see on screen. 

Watching things for entertainment and watching historical development (atrocities) of the earthly events, under the rule of Satan are entirely 2 different elements.

Entertainment is a form of activity that holds the attention and interest of an audience or gives pleasure and delight. 

Would watching R rated material give him or you pleasure ? This is a big question.

Interesting thoughts:

It is easy to convince ourselves that we can view seedy entertainment without any harm. Some even reason, “It does not bother my conscience, so what’s the problem?” But such individuals are ‘deceiving themselves with false reasoning.’—James 1:22.
13 How can we be on guard against self-deception? To begin with, we need to remember that the human conscience is not always reliable. Consider the case of the apostle Paul. Before becoming a Christian, he persecuted Christ’s followers. (Acts 9:1, 2) His conscience may not have bothered him at the time. Obviously, though, it had been misdirected. “I was ignorant and acted with a lack of faith,” said Paul. (1 Timothy 1:13) So the mere fact that certain entertainment does not bother our conscience is in itself no guarantee that our course is right. Only a healthy conscience properly trained by God’s Word can be a safe guide. W04 2/15

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

Watching things for entertainment and watching historical development (atrocities) of the earthly events, under the rule of Satan are entirely 2 different elements.

Entertainment is a form of activity that holds the attention and interest of an audience or gives pleasure and delight. 

Would watching R rated material give him or you pleasure ? This is a big question.

That is pretty much what I meant. A good example is Schindler's List, which WOULD HAVE BEEN R-Rated in Germany were it not for the important historical context. I can't recall watching Schindler's List and getting "pleasure or delight". But I think it's an important film, and the graphic depiction of the atrocities was an important mechanism.

I had a certain perspective on it, but I regret my words.But I'll say something now though

violence  offers the viewer the opportunity to experience justice; Evil often gets paid, even if this is not always the case in real life.Since normal, modern urban life no longer provides stimuli, they must be found elsewhere. Then art, entertainment and games come into the picture. They act as a kind of substitute stimulus,  people need to experience different kinds of excitement and their triggering. you must learn to critically analyze everything you see and hear

Example facts you can have learned from the movie and tv-shows

-The whole idea of embracing this world, loving it, trying to “convert it” and make it usable for Christ’s kingdom is a false notion for long injected into people’s minds by Christendom’s clergy. 
-A cough is usually the sign of a terminal illness

-If two people hate each other, they are more likely to fall in love

-Any lock can be picked by a credit card or a paper clip in seconds — unless it’s the door to a burning building with a child trapped inside.

-Cars that crash will almost always burst into flames

-No matter how catastrophic the disaster, pets will always survive it.

-Dogs always know who’s bad and will naturally bark at them

-Every 15 years old, and they are no longer virgins

“If you don’t put limits on what you watch, what was at first outrageous eventually becomes mundane Unconsciously, you look to the next level and passively accept what you used to find shocking

I have heard some say:

• You should not watch/listen to the news ... it is the most violent show on TV/radio - yet they like Star Wars
  • You should not watch a TV show with a gay actor - yet they watch shows with actors who smoke, lie, cheat and do drugs
  • You should not watch a movie with/above a particular rating -yet they will drive 5 mph above the posted speed limit to go to the Convention
  • You should not watch Disney movies because of the magic - yet they will vacation in Disney World

Personally, I will not tell you what you should or shouldn't watch ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We used to have a “Servant” (the days before elder arrangement) who said you should not listen to music by Tchaikovsky because was homosexual! 
It canget very silly when people start making rules and then try to get others to follow them.

(TV was the Devil’s eye in your lounge!)

16 minutes ago, bohemian said:

We used to have a “Servant” (the days before elder arrangement) who said you should not listen to music by Tchaikovsky because was homosexual! 
It canget very silly when people start making rules and then try to get others to follow them.

(TV was the Devil’s eye in your lounge!)

When I was young and was into electronic music, an elder said that we ought to avoid such music because it is reminiscent of the Canaanintes that had heavy drums in their music. Another brother I knew avoided anything reminiscent of "Trance" techno because he really thought it could put him in a state of trance and he might get possessed by demons. If this is the way people feel, that's their thing. But by publically making such outlandish claims, it can completely alienate particularly young people. I know I felt embarassed when hearing such things. I'm glad that this has become far more balanced in the past decades.

Having said that, it is totally correct that entertainment can distract us from the truth. A good example is Star Trek TNG. It is relatively non-violent and has some very inspiring stories of leadership, teamwork and personal character development arcs... but in the end, it offers an alternate, humanistic future where technology solves man's problems, and also puts a lot of emphasis on the idea of evolution. And yet, that doesn't mean that we can't choose to be entertained by it as long as we consciously filter out the worldly messages. 

In the end, the only clean "entertainment" is jw.org and the only clean video-game are the JW quiz apps available on play store. If that is sufficient for you, great. But it isn't the thing that I personally prefer when it comes to simply switching off when I feel like some rest and recovery.

I think yet 2 bibles comment

Let your reasonableness become known to all men. ” (Philippians 4:5) An unreasonable person lacks balance
Christians who are basically serious and may have little interest in certain forms of recreation should not look down on or be critical of fellow believers who may enjoy sports, dancing or other amusements in a wholesome way.  The Bible counsels (Eccl. 7:16 Do not be overly righteous, nor show yourself excessively wise
So, we need to be loving and balanced in our viewpoint of such matters.
being overly permissive or we should not be unduly sensitive 
or something you know😶

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, Dages said:

I love the Expanse. I don't watch the other shows in the list.

"Chernobyl" has started and is quite good, even if I feel quite unconfortable knowing the horror that is happening.

I'd love a fiction TV show by jw.org or even witnesses describing the GT/A-Day/1000 years :D 

Ho my, I'd binge that so much 

Chernobyl was some of the best television I've seen in a long time.  I'd also recommend reading "The Voices of Chernobyl" which includes a lot of first person accounts that were fictionalized in the miniseries.  

I've been watching Anne with an E on Netflix lately, and while I still like the source material, it seems that this show has decided it's going to be "woke" and tackle problems that aren't explicitly in the books (like freedom of speech, women's rights, etc).  The show is still very good but it feels like they're trying to make it more relevant to a modern audience and sometimes that just doesn't work. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some in the world say “never discuss religion and politics with friends “.
In Jehovah’s organization, having an open discussion on specific movies and Tv shows that we like, or don’t watch etc......is the same.

We all come from different backgrounds, even cultures, and experiences. We are at different stages in our spirituality, we all progress at different rates. All these things affect our view, our sensitivities, and how we respond to movie scenes. 

Is it any surprise that we often disagree on what’s acceptable and what’s not. :lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I have no comment about this app or the entirety of the content except - I really love how this scene is depicted. And  I loved the detail where the leper said his sister was a servant at that wedding and told him what Jesus could do. I enjoy little side bits that are absolutely believable even though it's not spelled out in scripture  ❤️

That scene does depict a very touching telling of this event ... but I think they depicted Jesus and his disciples a little to "shabby" and unkempt, almost "dirty/unwashed".

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

That scene does depict a very touching telling of this event ... but I think they depicted Jesus and his disciples a little to "shabby" and unkempt, almost "dirty/unwashed".

I'd like Jesus with a better haircut, too.  Well, it's not going to be perfect, right? And those guys were wandering around outside in the sun and dusty roads.. 🤷‍♀️

The Jesus actor has very kind eyes

16 hours ago, Hope said:

I enjoy little side bits that are absolutely believable even though it's not spelled out in scripture  ❤️

Same. That's why my favorite religious film outside of JWs is still The Prince of Egypt. The animated one. I think they did really really well with that one. Even with the added brother dynamic to show emotional conflict on Moses part. But even outside the story the animation on that is still a marvel of old school animation. And the music/songs.

Especially this scenes

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, Hope said:

I'd like Jesus with a better haircut, too.  Well, it's not going to be perfect, right? And those guys were wandering around outside in the sun and dusty roads.. 🤷‍♀️

The Jesus actor has very kind eyes

While it doesn't matter what Jesus looked like, I do appreciate the fact that they actually cast someone who actually looks like a Jewish man from his region, of his former occupation and era, and not someone super skinny with long blonde hair and blue eyes. Christendom's depiction of him is far from the truth and I've heard is based on an Italian nobleman who was a model for Renaissance paintings of Christ. I dislike how people have changed Jesus' appearance to fit their preferred skin tone... As if they can't relate to his words and message unless he looks like they do 🙄 Our org's portrayal of him is the best but this one is pretty good for something non-JW. 

3 minutes ago, JayMusicGirl said:

I've heard is based on an Italian nobleman who was a model for Renaissance paintings of Christ

Cesare Borgi, a politician that was the illegitimate son of one of the popes.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB