JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

‘Hell is coming’: Western Europe braces for unprecedented heatwave that could turn deadly

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1705 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

These heat waves have been around for a while actually. There are numerous historical accounts that lead to the conclusion that climate has been changing back and forth and that solar activity has a great influence on it. When I was in elementary school, teachers were telling me how scientists were theorizing that the earth is on its way into a new ice age, and of course, this was all anthropogenic in origin as is "global warming" now.

I don't buy into the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I disbelieve mankind is ruining the earth. I just believe where there's a "crisis" like this, all it is is an opportunity to make money money money like on the cap and trade schemes or CO2 tax. When you listen to some of these climate Nazis they actually advocate successively reducing  the world population under 500 million.. I say they should make the first step, I'm glad Jehovah is the one who decides who is sustainable and who isn't, and not a bunch of eco-fascists. Also, these fools don't have any real solutions with their electric cars, solar panels and windmills. It's all a pipe-dream and I find it hilarious that people are able to actually believe it and doubt it at the same time.

I really love it. They don't know which way to go but they know they need to do it all by themselves. They call us defeatists for not believing in man-made solutions when man-made solutions are what got us here in the first place.

Edited by ChocoBro

These heat waves have been around for a while actually. There are numerous historical accounts that lead to the conclusion that climate has been changing back and forth and that solar activity has a great influence on it. When I was in elementary school, teachers were telling me how scientists were theorizing that the earth is on its way into a new ice age, and of course, this was all anthropogenic in origin as is "global warming" now.

I don't buy into the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I disbelieve mankind is ruining the earth. I just believe where there's a "crisis" like this, all it is is an opportunity to make money money money like on the cap and trade schemes or CO2 tax. When you listen to some of these climate Nazis they actually advocate successively reducing  the world population under 500 million.. I say they should make the first step, I'm glad Jehovah is the one who decides who is sustainable and who isn't, and not a bunch of eco-fascists. Also, these fools don't have any real solutions with their electric cars, solar panels and windmills. It's all a pipe-dream and I find it hilarious that people are able to actually believe it and doubt it at the same time.

I really love it. They don't know which way to go but they know they need to do it all by themselves. They call us defeatists for not believing in man-made solutions when man-made solutions are what got us here in the first place.

A single heatwave isn’t caused by humans. But the pattern of global warming seems to be caused by human activity. And they can’t seem to solve it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Found this article on Union of concerned Scientists website. https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/effect-of-sun-on-climate-faq.html

What is causing increases in the Earth’s average temperature, and how do we know this?

We do know with a good degree of certainty that between 1750-2011, or since the beginning of the industrial period until today, the average increase in energy hitting a given area of the atmosphere (radiative forcing, measured in a unit called watts per square meter) due to heat-trapping gases is 56 times greater (~ 2.83 watts per square meter) than the increase in radiative forcing from the small shift in the sun’s energy (~0.05 watts per square meter).

In its Fifth Assessment Report, IPCC scientists evaluated simulations of historical climate variables using a number of numerical models. They first assumed no increase in heat-trapping gases since 1750, so that the temperatures calculated were those that would have been achieved if only solar variability, volcanic eruptions, and other natural climate drivers were included.

The temperature results were similar to observed temperatures only for the first half of the century, but the models did not accurately show the general warming trend that has been recorded during the second half of the twentieth century.

When computer models include human-induced heat-trapping gases, they accurately reproduce the observed warming during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.

The evidence shows that although fluctuations in the amount of solar energy reaching our atmosphere do influence our climate, the global warming trend of the past six decades cannot be attributed to changes in the sun.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, carlos said:

I always find these fear fear-mongering news funny. Beware, the worst heat wave ever is coming! Temperatures might reach 40 degrees (104 F)! People really have fish memory. In Madrid we reach 45 degrees and over every July and August!

We get 104 f temps in Southern Indiana in late August. And still, somehow , people do survive.

During the Minoan warming the Midevil warming and the Roman warming periods it got much hotter than it is now. One of the effects was a complete melting of the Arctic ice cap and the corresponding increase in storm activity made the Sahara desert into a massive grassland.   

Once the Sahara desert becomes a grassland ( the deserts shall bloom)  then Southern Europe will no longer get heat waves from the Sahara Desert. 

59 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

Once the Sahara desert becomes a grassland ( the deserts shall bloom)  then Southern Europe will no longer get heat waves from the Sahara Desert. 

That’s very true heat builds up in the deserts and as soon as a big wind and high pressure system arrives it moves all that built up heat to another region. Here in Australia it gets so hot in the interior then as soon as a big cold front arrives it pushes all that heat to a another place. I can’t wait until Jehovah’s makes the deserts blossom with green pastures and grass. I wonder what the middle of Australia will look like in the new system, although I think I will move to Canada or Europe with snow cap mountains. 

On 6/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, Godskingdomrules said:

That’s very true heat builds up in the deserts and as soon as a big wind and high pressure system arrives it moves all that built up heat to another region. Here in Australia it gets so hot in the interior then as soon as a big cold front arrives it pushes all that heat to a another place. I can’t wait until Jehovah’s makes the deserts blossom with green pastures and grass. I wonder what the middle of Australia will look like in the new system, although I think I will move to Canada or Europe with snow cap mountains. 

Doesn’t New Zealand have snow capped mountains or is that only according to Peter Jackson?

On 6/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, Hannah said:

Any idea how to keep cool ??? Or suggestions will be welcome ...

Keep and stay hydrated by drinking LOTS of water. In other words, drink water even if you don't feel thirsty.

This is worth repeating: I heard on the radio one day that if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated. So prevent that by drinking WATER! Not sugary stuff like sodas, drinks, teas, etc. Those are not wrong at all in themselves, but WATER is the way to go. 

Also, and this is probably a conscience thing, but I remember a Circuit Overseer we had one time and, after telling us the schedule for service (it was summer and HOT) he said "if you're taking high blood medication, don't come out to impress me." Yes, it's all up to each individual, but when we're in a heat wave I do not come out because, yep I'm on HBP meds. 

Finally, please take care of yourselves!!!  And Jehovah says: 

1. Be reasonable 

2. Use a sound mind.

3. Have thinking ability. And finally..

4. To serve him with "your power of reason."

Edited by Luezette

1 hour ago, Luezette said:

This is worth repeating: I heard on the radio one day that if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated. So prevent that by drinking WATER! Not sugary stuff like sodas, drinks, teas, etc. Those are not wrong at all in themselves, but WATER is the way to go

I have heard the same...

When the US military went to war in Iraq they had a standing order to drink 1 liter of water every 15 minutes, even if they were just standing around.

If the soldiers were doing any activity at all, the amount doubled. 8 liters an hour.

When I worked in the Southern California desert near Palm Springs it routinely got into the 115-120F range, sometimes it was over 120F for several days in a row. I recall that one year, for the low, it was 113F at 1:30 in the morning....it had been 124F that day..

I used to have 2, 2liter bottles, that had the little pull up tops. I mixed one tablespoon of white vinegar into each one and made sure to drink those 2 bottles down, in addition to all the rest of the water I drank.

I was told that the vinegar helped the body to assimilate the water better.  Taking bio salt tabs helps as well...

I find too that has a lot to do with how old you are that determines how well (or not) you can deal with the weather.

I remember when real young while the folks would sit around fanning themselves and or sitting in front of those older fans, but still perspiring, we kids would think nothing of running up and down the stairs constantly for water,  (we lived in one of those tall tenement houses before the government buildings were built) yet run right back downstairs, outside to run around. I would sit on the stoop and watch, but really I had a great time just doing that. 

But now that I've grown younger, lol, I fully or FULLY, understand! 

Edited by Luezette

5 hours ago, Luezette said:

Really? Interesting. But what about cider vinegar? Can and does it work the same? 

I don't recall, that was back in 1994 or so. You've whetted my appetite tho, I am gonna see what I can find...

I have heard the same...

When the US military went to war in Iraq they had a standing order to drink 1 liter of water every 15 minutes, even if they were just standing around.

If the soldiers were doing any activity at all, the amount doubled. 8 liters an hour.

I have severe doubts that is true. In fact I assume 8 liters an hour would quickly render a person sick from lack of electrolytes. You would literally be peeing every five minutes. A human body can't process more than a liter per hour. I think you're confusing cups with liters or something.

Careful, people, overhydration is also a real problem.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

I have severe doubts that is true. In fact I assume 8 liters an hour would quickly render a person sick from lack of electrolytes. You would literally be peeing every five minutes. A human body can't process more than a liter per hour. I think you're confusing cups with liters or something.

Careful, people, overhydration is also a real problem.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

No, I'm pretty sure I got it right. I might search for a source but I think that's what I read... As for the electrolytes, I don't recall how they dealt with that but they did have some way that they addressed that point.

Biosalts are very good to have around...

I understand that the body has more ways to utilize water than just through the kidneys, there is a whole lot of sweating going on.

When I was in the desert working I was setting steel and welding, you don't come off the iron every 5 minutes to use the blue water sauna. 

I wore a set of leather sleeves that had the front leather panel snapped in, no back piece. It was pretty common to half soak them in sweat every day. I would get crusted salt formed down to my short ribs. I would throw them on the concrete and hose them clean, ready to go next morning.

48 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

I have severe doubts that is true. In fact I assume 8 liters an hour would quickly render a person sick from lack of electrolytes

I found an article about the Iraq war and the hydration needs of soldiers, the numbers from the article indicate I was wrong. I apologize..

..this is from that article.

"How much water do the troops in Iraq need to drink every day?

That varies with a soldier's level of physical activity and the weather conditions. Up to now, the weather has been relatively mild, so the less-active soldiers, who burn about 3,000 calories a day, are probably drinking three to four quarts per day, or about 12 to 16 eight-ounce glasses of water. The more active soldiers -- those averaging about 4,000 calories a day -- are drinking five to six quarts per day (about 20 to 24 glasses). That's about twice the eight to 10 glasses typically recommended daily for civilians. As the weather warms, daily consumption can be expected to increase substantially. Less-active troops will need to drink about five to seven quarts (20 to 35 glasses)per day; more-active troops, seven to nine quarts (28 to 36 glasses) per day."

It's HOT in USA too.  It's SUMMER, and SUMMER brings HEAT.  Hurricanes, lively thunderstorms, hail and fires.  There has been no rain in sight on East Coast since last month.  It's a mini drought, so people on alert for mini fires along the roads with dry grass.  And of course careless people who camp and who smoke cigarettes and toss them out their windows.   There are cooling centers for the homeless, for day and night.  Temps here last week were between 95 and the highest was 98.  Index was 102 due to humidity.  I've seen summer's here, back in 2012, when a heat wave hit.  Many elderly ones found deceased in their homes.  Some so poor they could not afford air conditioning, and their families, did not check on them.  Elders in my area, checked on all the elderly ones, who lived in apt's with elevators.  Sometimes the power would go out or BGE would shut it for about 5 minutes up 20 minutes or so depending on the area you lived in.  So far, this summer which just started, we will have to wait and see how it goes.  If you have a basement, and it's not overly moldy, go downstairs.  It's always a tad cooler down there then upstairs.  Keep plenty of water on hand, wet a hand towel and put in freezer for about 1/2 hour, and then pull out and wear it around your neck.  It will help stabilize your body temperature.  I use this method in service if am out more then 2 hours.  Then I have a cooler in trunk of car, with cold water, and another small towel or towels, wear them in order to stay out in ministry feeling refreshed.  Householders compliment you, so then they do it too (for those in poor areas where they can't afford air conditioning).

Just an idea. 

During the 1930’s and 1950’s we had similar heatwaves in the US. ( without AC no less) for several years straight the days above 90• were very numerous. This year looks to mirror those. In fact the Arctic Ice cap this year recededvtobthe 1950’s dimensions. The real question is :  will we see the same events prolonged due to the human effect or will we have the same climactic response again that we saw in the 1960’s - 1970’s ( cooling with predictions of a global ice age). Remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

During the 1930’s and 1950’s we had similar heatwaves in the US. ( without AC no less) for several years straight the days above 90• were very numerous. This year looks to mirror those. In fact the Arctic Ice cap this year recededvtobthe 1950’s dimensions. The real question is :  will we see the same events prolonged due to the human effect or will we have the same climactic response again that we saw in the 1960’s - 1970’s ( cooling with predictions of a global ice age). Remains to be seen.

Your correct to say with your information here but there’s a bit of a difference between that time period and now when it comes to warming.

Two characteristics warming events stand out, the first from 1920s to 1940s as you described then the second from 1980s to now. Difference is the warming from 1920s - 1940s was more confined to the North at around 60 Degrees N, while 1980s to now warming encompasses the entire globe.

Your always going to have anomalies extreme weather events, only difference now is that it is not an isolation case anymore but a global issue case.

5 hours ago, Bek said:

The headline seems a bit off. But not exactly incorrect. It gives the strange impression that places like the Sahara Desert or Death Valley California or parts of India somehow have never been hotter than Europe this June.  But it really means the global average for the month of June.  But this too isn’t exactly accurate . The global average temperature has been hotter and will be hotter yet again. So what is it really saying.  

In our lifetimes  we have never recorded a hottter global average temperature in the month of June. It’s quite interesting. Both the reality of the thing and the way the media presents the data. 

Our human reactions to such things remind me of a line from a greatful dead song.

Light a candle and curse the glare. 

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this heatwave aftermath. France reported 1500 deaths from this heatwave this year. A lot better than the 15,000 deaths back in 2003. They are stating that a campaign of awareness saved many lives this time.

I wonder if any of our brothers and sisters were part in the casualty numbers.

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-france-died-summer.html

On 6/27/2019 at 8:15 AM, Hannah said:

We have been hiding inside today trying to keep cool but tomorrow we are travelling to our regional assembly in Germany.

At the assembly hall in Reutlingen ..... I am not sure if there any AC there...

Tomorrow is the peak of warmth 

Any idea how to keep cool ??? Or suggestions will be welcome ...

😅

Put Iced water in front of a fan. (and turn it on) lol.

Meanwhile in NZ we are expecting the Pest from the west, sub anantartic coldness that is unprecendented in modern history  - apparently.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Put Iced water in front of a fan. (and turn it on) lol.

Meanwhile in NZ we are expecting the Pest from the west, sub anantartic coldness that is unprecendented in modern history  - apparently.

I thought your winter was about over. What are your coldest months of the year?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25