JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

‘Hell is coming’: Western Europe braces for unprecedented heatwave that could turn deadly

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1690 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• Countries including France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal will experience a massive heatwave from Wednesday, with hot air coming from the Sahara Desert.
  • Temperatures are expected to rise as high as 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) this week.
  • The heatwave is expected to be so bad that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted: "Hell is coming."
  • Some 15,000 people in France died when temperatures hit similar heights in August 2003. Officials in Paris have already put the city on high alert.
  • Scientists attribute it to global warming, and warn of more such heatwaves if countries don't cut their greenhouse gas emissions soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/hell-is-coming-western-europe-braces-for-unprecedented-heatwave-that-could-turn-deadly/ar-AADpcOu?li=AAggFp5

10 hours ago, Lewis said:
  • Scientists attribute it to global warming

2 hours ago, carlos said:

I always find these fear fear-mongering news funny. Beware, the worst heat wave ever is coming! Temperatures might reach 40 degrees (104 F)! People really have fish memory. In Madrid we reach 45 degrees and over every July and August!

Except scientists will tell you they cannot attribute any single event to global warming.  

Some English-language newspapers are saying that global warming is an outdated term now, as it does not reflect the reality. Instead, they suggest, we should call it "global heating".

Considering that heatwaves are to become the norm, I think it is a good idea. :)

Edited by Bek

8 minutes ago, Dages said:

It's called "Climate change" now. 

Yes, I have also noticed that some media are changing it to "climate crisis", "climate emergency" and "climate catastrophe". We will see which one will stick. 

Whatever the term, "hell is coming", as the title of the topic says, but for some, it is "earthly paradise is coming". :)

Edited by Bek

Collapsology is a new word for me. Just Googled it, not much info in English. But I can read French. So I will see what the Francophones are saying. 🙂

We have been hiding inside today trying to keep cool but tomorrow we are travelling to our regional assembly in Germany.

At the assembly hall in Reutlingen ..... I am not sure if there any AC there...

Tomorrow is the peak of warmth 

Any idea how to keep cool ??? Or suggestions will be welcome ...

😅

14 hours ago, carlos said:

I always find these fear fear-mongering news funny. Beware, the worst heat wave ever is coming! Temperatures might reach 40 degrees (104 F)! People really have fish memory. In Madrid we reach 45 degrees and over every July and August!

4 hours ago, JennyM said:

Every summer, we have 50 -52C heat here.. Not all places but some places.. Before in 2011, the summer temperature reaches 38C but now 40C and above is the norm. 

People can't go to the farm from 10am onwards. 

How do you deal with that type of heat in where you are, my hats off to you in being able to widstand that heat. I’m sure you have your cool spots and routine when the heat gets that high. 

Over here in Vancouver, we complain when it gets high 20s and low 30s. We are so used to the cold, well I am anyways. I prefer cold over heat anytime. :) 

4 hours ago, JennyM said:

Every summer, we have 50 -52C heat here.. Not all places but some places.. Before in 2011, the summer temperature reaches 38C but now 40C and above is the norm. 

People can't go to the farm from 10am onwards. 

Thats a 122 F (if I did the right conversion map). Do you all have air conditioning?

@Jeanie  Yes, 50 deg C is 122 F. Most places in SE Asia are air conditioned like the bedrooms, the restaurants, malls, offices etc. We get used to the heat. The first time I went to Trichy (Tiruchirappalli) in south India. I didn't know the temperature outside was 40 C (104 F) but I could see the locals walking nonchalantly in the heat without umbrellas. I would not go out between 9 am and 5 pm. I guess most people get acclimatised to their natural environment. In our region, the humidity is also high so the heat becomes quite oppressive. For first timers, the humidity can be overwhelming and needs some time getting used to.

SE Asia countries that experience equatorial climate all the time : Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Timur Leste and Papua New Guinea.

2 hours ago, Lewis said:

How do you deal with that type of heat in where you are, my hats off to you in being able to widstand that heat. I’m sure you have your cool spots and routine when the heat gets that high. 

Over here in Vancouver, we complain when it gets high 20s and low 30s. We are so used to the cold, well I am anyways. I prefer cold over heat anytime. :) 

We are fine.. bro and sis go to the return visit at 4pm when the sun  start to go down or we start our ministry at 7am until 10am... We don't do much walking.  Most of us prefer office job.  A south korean bro came here and doesn't know what to do in the summer. .. He passed out..   And  sick old people die of course... 
We also have air conditioner at shopping malls. We eat ice cold food like ice cream, shakes.. 

2 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Thats a 122 F (if I did the right conversion map). Do you all have air conditioning?

Yes we do. 

27 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

@Jeanie  Yes, 50 deg C is 122 F. Most places in SE Asia are air conditioned like the bedrooms, the restaurants, malls, offices etc. We get used to the heat. The first time I went to Trichy (Tiruchirappalli) in south India. I didn't know the temperature outside was 40 C (104 F) but I could see the locals walking nonchalantly in the heat without umbrellas. I would not go out between 9 am and 5 pm. I guess most people get acclimatised to their natural environment. In our region, the humidity is also high so the heat becomes quite oppressive. For first timers, the humidity can be overwhelming and needs some time getting used to.

SE Asia countries that experience equatorial climate all the time : Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Timur Leste and Papua New Guinea.

Yes true.. body can adjust... Keep hydrated thats all. 

18 hours ago, carlos said:

Hitting 45 C or over is probably normal in July and August for some parts of Western Europe , but certainly not in June. That's what is making these heatwaves unusual. At this rate, soon we will start having heatwaves in May.