JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Intermittent Fasting

I see this as a discussion. Those that have done it see benefits. There is the problem though, with anything in this system, of misinformation. We definitely do overeat, and so moderate eating is what we aim for. Fasting may be part of that moderation. But diabetics need to take extra care.

If, Lucy you are referring to my posts, I have consistently said that it's done with the direction of my doctor, we are grown ups here and all have a responsibility in front of Jehovah to convey truthfully and reasonably when a question is asked. To keep referring to the need to go under your Doctor's advise/instruction is not only stating the obvious but makes me feel like I should not have answered Norma's question in the first place.

One can only convey their own experiences and that was what Norma was asking. She's not interested in Diabetes or Keto and perhaps I should not have mentioned that, which as taken this thread off topic, for that I apologise to Norma I should have kept it on topic. She has asked about IF ... and IF has and is working for me - personally and has , is and always will be done in conjunction with my Doctor, in fact, it was at the suggestion of my doctor. It has done me more good than harm, in fact no harm at all.  I assume always the best of my brothers and sisters, and that they too, will take in their own circumstances and health limitations when making any change in their diets or lifestyles.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

What I love most about IF is it is soooo easy! You can ease yourself into it and move to having longer hours. You can do long days, short days, multiple days...whatever works with your schedule. The health benefits are a plus for me!😁

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

Yes, if's very flexible and is really about giving your body a rest rather than making it work harder than it really should. 

IF has calmed down inflammation too in my joints ... I also drink a good amount of fluids. 

And you can take a break from IF too, it's not something you have to do permanently. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I just really don’t want this to turn into telling anyone what they should or shouldn’t do. We are all grownups. I like to hear what others experiences are. If they like IF or they tried it and it wasn’t for them. But please....  no telling another person what they should or should not do. Every person chooses whether or not to take care of their own health or put it in the hands of a professional (whether holistic or traditional, eastern or western). If it turns into a problem or stumbling matter then I will ask the mods to take it down. ❤️

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

2 hours ago, normaclutter said:

I just really don’t want this to turn into telling anyone what they should or shouldn’t do. We are all grownups. I like to hear what others experiences are. If they like IF or they tried it and it wasn’t for them. But please....  no telling another person what they should or should not do. Every person chooses whether or not to take care of their own health or put it in the hands of a professional (whether holistic or traditional, eastern or western). If it turns into a problem or stumbling matter then I will ask the mods to take it down. ❤️

I agree! I like to be able to share what has worked for me, but no judging paleeeze!😁

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

I agree with the comments above, and don’t want my friends here to misunderstand I am in any way judging, or advising what you should personally do. As noted we are all grownups here. And since some here may have felt that I have done that, I apologise. In joining in the discussion I added my own thoughts on how fasting affects me. But I have also learned more about the fasting regime and it’s benefits. It is ok to learn both sides. Peace and enjoy commenting freely.

3 hours ago, Hope said:

I just wanna know if it's better to skip breakfast or dinner... and how to do it! 😁

That's the thing Hope - there's no 'one size fits all' -  if you aren't getting the nutrition when you do eat then your body needs it. 

If I'm doing a 23:1 day - I do have breakfast ...but the next day I will have two biggish meals to compensate. (Only time I might have a third meal is in the weekend - at work I just work through until 4 come home have dinner with Tom then nothing until the next day). 

But you have to find what works for you and if you are checking with your Doctor he/she may have more suggestions. I also have a week every so often, where I don't do dieting at all ... I just enjoy my food ... slows down weight loss a little, but I'm still going in the right direction.

9 hours ago, Hope said:

I just wanna know if it's better to skip breakfast or dinner... and how to do it! 😁

You kinda have to play with it. If you're gonna do breakfast, then ease into it. For example, if you eat at 8am now, then push it back an hour this week. Then next week, push it back 2 hrs, and on...until you get to the amount of time you want your fast to be. Dinner would be the opposite...eating earlier than usual. Whichever works better with your lifestyle is the one you choose. Or, try one...if it doesn't seem to work, then do the other. ❤ Hope this helps!

Hmmm... I often don't eat til around 9a as it is- I eat after I get to work.  That often lets me skip lunch but I'm really hungry at dinnertime. 

So, I should eat lunch anyway to avoid the dinner temptation, right?

Create your own window Hope ... today I'm going to take my breakfast to work - I start at 10 am - so I'll eat my breakfast at work at around 12 ... so really its like lunch but healthy breakfast food, then I'll come home at 4 pm and cook dinner. so that is a window of about 5 hours ... so that means I am fasting 19 hours. In that 5 hour window if you are hungry - eat.  So really some days I AM eating three times a day just in a short window.

So if you want to stick to three meals a day then just have a late breakfast like you are and an early dinner and don't eat after dinner.

Some do an 8 hour window ... it's really what works for you. Most people either skip meals or eat continuously throughout the day ... it's just really swapping the food you would eat in one day to smaller windows. That's why IF is very easy ... you aren't starving yourself unless you are doing a 2:5 day like Lucy spoke of earlier. But then you eating normally the following day. 

28 minutes ago, Hope said:

Well, I sorta started yesterday.  I only ate between 9.30a and 8.30p and dinner was a bowl of cereal.  Didn't eat today until 10a and plan to be finished by 7.30p.  We'll see what happens...

That's great Sister!  You got started and that is usu the hardest part of it.  Keep it up each day and you will be able to eventually set your own time.  It was easy for me to set due to not being able to eat after 4/5 pm due to GERD.  I did nibble on small things after that time but I have to stop it!  It sets me back.  I usu eat what I want and I have to reset that in my mind.  I have gotten hooked on sweets and that has to stop.  I may do the Keto with the IF because the Keto may serve my sweet tooth till I can stop it.  I know you will be successful.  Just give it time. Please keep us posted.  

26 minutes ago, Good-O said:

That's great Sister!  You got started and that is usu the hardest part of it.  Keep it up each day and you will be able to eventually set your own time.  It was easy for me to set due to not being able to eat after 4/5 pm due to GERD.  I did nibble on small things after that time but I have to stop it!  It sets me back.  I usu eat what I want and I have to reset that in my mind.  I have gotten hooked on sweets and that has to stop.  I may do the Keto with the IF because the Keto may serve my sweet tooth till I can stop it.  I know you will be successful.  Just give it time. Please keep us posted.  

Thank you!  But how will keto serve your sweet tooth?  You can't have any sugar on keto...? 

2 minutes ago, Hope said:

Thank you!  But how will keto serve your sweet tooth?  You can't have any sugar on keto...? 

I think it has just the right amt of the right kind of fat that will satisfy that sweet tooth.....cream cheese, avocados.....at least that is what my Dr said.  I still have to investigate the Keto plan and try it.  

Things like Cheesecake can be made with crushed almonds instead of a biscuit/cookie base and using Stevia to sweeten the cheese if you want a treat. Keto also is good with berries (in moderation) so a nice berry topping would be amazing.

Few months back, well actually quite a few months back I had a craving for chocolate. So I made a keto chocolate mug cake. Yummy. 😋

Cured my craving. ♥️ 😁

Check Pinterest for Keto recipes 

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

23 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Things like Cheesecake can be made with crushed almonds instead of a biscuit/cookie base and using Stevia to sweeten the cheese if you want a treat. Keto also is good with berries (in moderation) so a nice berry topping would be amazing.

I don't do any sort of sugar substitutes except honey.  Stevia makes me sick (horrible cramps) and all the other have some sort of nasty aftertaste to me. :P  If I can't have sugar, I need to do without..

1 minute ago, normaclutter said:

It gives weekly graphs on your progress and you can add other things like weight, and other things too. I don't have anything to check ketones and glucose yet. 

7D50B2FD-C39E-4F22-B0DB-C5408922BF7D.png

56CB464F-1665-4D68-8964-BA869BD07193.png

I used to use it when I first started IF, but then I would continue to forget to start the timer, so I would change the start time, and eventually, I just forgot it was even on my phone. 😂 But, I liked it better than the others that were out there. It's very user friendly! 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, Hope said:

I personally skip breakfast and eat lunch and an early dinner. There are reasons for that which have to do with your natural body cycles and what processes your body is going through upon awakening. But that’s just me. That’s why I like this. It’s flexible. Either way you are giving your body a rest and allowing things to regulate. 

32 minutes ago, Buttrfly71 said:

I used to use it when I first started IF, but then I would continue to forget to start the timer, so I would change the start time, and eventually, I just forgot it was even on my phone. 😂 But, I liked it better than the others that were out there. It's very user friendly! 

I like it so far. It helps me stay on the track I want to be on. It helps me also visualize the process. I am only like 4 weeks in. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

45 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

I personally skip breakfast and eat lunch and an early dinner. There are reasons for that which have to do with your natural body cycles and what processes your body is going through upon awakening. But that’s just me. That’s why I like this. It’s flexible. Either way you are giving your body a rest and allowing things to regulate. 

I like it so far. It helps me stay on the track I want to be on. It helps me also visualize the process. I am only like 4 weeks in. 

Early dinner -- that's often a challenge because between getting off work at 5.00- 5.30p, usually going evening witnessing and a meeting night, I'm not often home 'til after 8p.  I'll have to figure out how to eat on my way from work to whatever I'm doing that night... :P 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting since January. I started because my A1C was high. I started by doing keto and lost 30 lbs. then hit a plateau so started intermittent fasting. Since then, I have lost another 35 lbs. I do 21:3 because I feel like it works best for me. But everyone is different so I suggest speaking with your dr. first. But after losing 65 lbs I must say, I feel so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk