JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Intermittent Fasting

2 hours ago, Lasheagilbert said:

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting since January. I started because my A1C was high. I started by doing keto and lost 30 lbs. then hit a plateau so started intermittent fasting. Since then, I have lost another 35 lbs. I do 21:3 because I feel like it works best for me. But everyone is different so I suggest speaking with your dr. first. But after losing 65 lbs I must say, I feel so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been doing anywhere from 16-8 to 20-4 regularly with a 22 or 24 or 30 thrown in. I am on a mostly keto diet. Very low carb. Since 6/25/19. I have only lost around 10 lbs. I see a difference in my lower body (mostly legs) and face and upper body. I am waiting for everything to meet in the middle at some point. I feel better. Not as tired. Stomach feels better. More energy. I know i need to add more low carb vegetables in. I don’t have a regular doctor. Never have. Never needed one. I go for emergencies when needed. Other than that I’ve always taken care of everything myself. Of course thats just me personally and I am not advising it for others. 

Ok y’all... what DO you eat? When you eat... what do you snack on? Do you snack during your eating time or just have a meal. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

If you snack between meals it's no longer intermittent fasting ... the whole point is to give your body long periods of fasting or rest.

Eating three meals a day is considered IF only if you don't snack in between. So there's a lot of people doing it without even realizing.

I've seen some lovely recipes on youtube - Flourless Chocolate cake looks like a go.

Also cheesecake is awesome for Keto - using stevia and ground almonds for the base. 

I usually have Chia Seed pudding as part of my meal but once my meal is finished nothing more than a hot drink until morning (Tea/Coffee or fizzy water).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

If you snack between meals it's no longer intermittent fasting ... the whole point is to give your body long periods of fasting or rest.

Eating three meals a day is considered IF only if you don't snack in between. So there's a lot of people doing it without even realizing.

I've seen some lovely recipes on youtube - Flourless Chocolate cake looks like a go.

Also cheesecake is awesome for Keto - using stevia and ground almonds for the base. 

I usually have Chia Seed pudding as part of my meal but once my meal is finished nothing more than a hot drink until morning (Tea/Coffee or fizzy water).

Was talking about the small window of time that you CAN eat, not your fast time. Also, it seems that many are low carb at the same time  

Edited by normaclutter

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

I like this thread. I have been looking into IF myself and tried it for a while. It definitely helped me with my stomach problems. 

Has anyone actually lost any weight? I definitely feel less bloated and look a bit better. But I have never tried it long enough to make a substantial difference to my weight.

Also, I read that IF for women has to be approached differently as we are more sensitive during starvation periods due to hormone fluctuations etc.

So I always tried 16:8 just because it doesn't seem as daunting. I tried the 5:2 diet once and I just couldn't eat such few calories on the fasting days. I get SUPER grumpy and headachy which turn into migraines fast.

My eating window is usually between 11-7. The first few days are easy but as my stomach gets emptier due to not eating late, I get hungrier in the morning. Also, my biggest issue with any diet adjustment is my struggle to stay organized. I am a terrible grazer and am so worried about getting migraines that I have a tendency to overeat just in case I won't get a decent meal anytime soon. But then I start snacking again anyway at one point. Then staying on top of preparing healthy foods isn't always easy either.

All in all I believe IF is just a marketing catchphrase, I think it's just eating "normal" and forces us to start being a bit more balanced about food. Of course people only had one meal a day in the past because they were poor, now we are on the other end of the extreme. I wonder what it will be like in the new system. I think harvesting and preparing our own food will definitely restrict the amount we are eating and also increase the calories we are burning naturally. And according to all our WT paradise pictures we will only be eating fruits and vegetables anyway 😂 jk!!

How do you guys manage this on a full-time job? I only work 4 days but am not back until 6pm so especially on meeting nights it's not always easy to cook in time - I feel I need something substantial before I start fasting. Also, I need to take my husband into account. He could do with a diet haha but I think I can't just force him not to eat a meal at night if I don't have time to cook. He is all over the place with his eating habits, too. If he could, he wouldn't be eating most day and then start snacking all throughout the night ( he is an insomniac). 

Sister Judy, I’ve lost a little over 40 pounds. 😁

I think Sister Ross lost quite a bit. But as usual she’s keeping it a secret. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

23 minutes ago, thegreenjudy said:

Brilliant!

What type of IF did you do?

Well, definitely not snacking. 😁

Mostly I think NO soda since November. No processed food from local Holiday/gas station/convenience store (this along with soda was the biggie). 

Some days i can eat dinner kinda late (again no snacking). Other days I do have a mid day small lunch than late evening dinner.

Some days I manage to just have a good chocolate protein drink in the evening, with grinded chia seeds, maybe some heavy whipping cream for fat. 

Every day for me is different. 😁

Haven’t been able to go a day without eating. 😁😁😁😁

Still have about 26 pounds to go to get to the normal weight for my height.

8 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Well, definitely not snacking. 😁

Mostly I think NO soda since November. No processed food from local Holiday/gas station/convenience store (this along with soda was the biggie). 

Some days i can eat dinner kinda late (again no snacking). Other days I do have a mid day small lunch than late evening dinner.

Some days I manage to just have a good chocolate protein drink in the evening, with grinded chia seeds, maybe some heavy whipping cream for fat. 

Every day for me is different. 😁

Haven’t been able to go a day without eating. 😁😁😁😁

Still have about 26 pounds to go to get to the normal weight for my height.

So it's not strictly intermittent fasting but mainly cutting out bad food? The thing is I never have really drunk soda, only very occasionally. Would be great if I just had to give that up🤣 But I could certainly cut down on the sugar in other foods!!! (Chocolate..cough..cough...)

I’m making/backing chocolate cupcakes right now. 

I use unsweetened cocoa. 

Today I used Xylitol as I had that. The recipe called for that Erythritol stuff but didn’t have that. I always use SweetLeaf Stevia but I needed a 1/2 cup and I didn’t feel like using a lot of the packets to accomplish that. 😁

So much for not snacking. I had some batter left  😋😋😋😋....I just could not resist. 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

I have been so bad for most of my life. Starting drinking Mountain Dew years ago. Would have 2 a day (at work). A few years ago I switched to Squirt. Anyway, I’m also saving a lot of money that way. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

51 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I’m making/backing chocolate cupcakes right now. 

I use unsweetened cocoa. 

Today I used Xylitol as I had that. The recipe called for that Erythritol stuff but didn’t have that. I always use SweetLeaf Stevia but I needed a 1/2 cup and I didn’t feel like using a lot of the packets to accomplish that. 😁

So much for not snacking. I had some batter left  😋😋😋😋....I just could not resist. 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

I have been so bad for most of my life. Starting drinking Mountain Dew years ago. Would have 2 a day (at work). A few years ago I switched to Squirt. Anyway, I’m also saving a lot of money that way. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Hahahahaha ha!!!!!!! 

That should be BAKING.       😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

@Loopy

Unfortunately Xylitol gives me terrible migraines when I eat it (it's great as a toothpaste ingredient though). Stevia just tastes like artificial sweeteners to me (which I detest). So the best thing for me is to use very little sugar and make things from scratch so I can control what goes in it and keep these foods to a minimum! 

But just as you find it hard to give up soda I am struggling to give up sweet foods...I found that preparing sweet foods (eg pancakes) without sugar and then drizzle ever so small amounts of maple syrup on top is really good.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a close call with diabetes a few years ago, nearly went into a coma. It was right at the onset of the COVID thing.

I ended up on pills for type 2 diabetes, but nearly at the point of needing insulin injections.

It was a wakeup call, to say the least.

I'm not a fan of medications, if there are other options. So I started researching... and making changes to my diet, as well as re-igniting my exercise routine. I was off all meds within about four months. However, if I eat any sugar or carbs at all, my glucose rises, and is hard to bring back down. So I went to a strict Keto diet and fasting at least 20 hours. I don't eat for the last three hours before bed either. I'm down 40 lbs currently.

A couple of months ago, after much research, I decided to go to a strict carnivore diet and one large meal per day. So my fasting is approximately 23 hours. 

I can say that I haven't felt this good in over a decade. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:51 AM, BIvey said:

I had a close call with diabetes a few years ago, nearly went into a coma. It was right at the onset of the COVID thing.

I ended up on pills for type 2 diabetes, but nearly at the point of needing insulin injections.

It was a wakeup call, to say the least.

I'm not a fan of medications, if there are other options. So I started researching... and making changes to my diet, as well as re-igniting my exercise routine. I was off all meds within about four months. However, if I eat any sugar or carbs at all, my glucose rises, and is hard to bring back down. So I went to a strict Keto diet and fasting at least 20 hours. I don't eat for the last three hours before bed either. I'm down 40 lbs currently.

A couple of months ago, after much research, I decided to go to a strict carnivore diet and one large meal per day. So my fasting is approximately 23 hours. 

I can say that I haven't felt this good in over a decade. 

Been hearing a lot about the Carnivore diet lately.  There are concerns about lacking vitamins, messing up your microbiome, and even not getting enough fiber.

What have you found in this regard?

I need to put on my glasses before I try to read these topics on my phone. I thought this topic was about intermittent farting 😳

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

Been hearing a lot about the Carnivore diet lately.  There are concerns about lacking vitamins, messing up your microbiome, and even not getting enough fiber.

What have you found in this regard?

First, I'm a big proponent of recommending that folks do their own in-depth research in regard to this kind of stuff.  Find studies that aren't directly, or indirectly, financed by the big food companies. I spent a lot of time finding what I felt was reliable info, based on reliable studies. (As reliable as one can expect anyway)

My research concluded that fiber is not necessary, not necessarily bad, but has very little provable benefit.

As for gut microbiome, just in two months, I no longer have any IBS symptoms. So I tend to feel that the early gut issues (three weeks or so) were just my guts changing to deal with the new diet. 

With vitamins, I do take a multivitamin. However, everyone should be taking a multivitamin given the poor quality foods that are generally available, compared with what foods were years ago. However, there are some meats, like liver, that are loaded with vitamins.  

Personal experience has been the clincher for me. My diet has been mostly beef, bacon, butter/ghee, and eggs, with lesser amounts of pork, salmon, chicken, cheese, and small amounts of dairy. I also eat the fat and collagen. I cook all of it in animal fats and butter.

My arthritis improved on the Keto diet. On carnivore, it has improved even more. I don't take OTC pills for it anymore.

I also used to suffer from gout flareups.  That also improved on keto, and completely went away after starting carnivore. Admittedly, I was initially a bit skeptical on the gout issue. I expected it to be an issue, but it hasn't at all.

My guts feel better than they ever have.  Hunger is not a thing anymore either. I have more energy and, although I haven't had it tested, I'm positive my testosterone levels are higher. Depression symptoms are much less frequent and less powerful now, almost gone. 

I haven't had my cholesterol checked since starting carnivore. I do plan to have it checked soon.

Edited by BIvey

6 minutes ago, BIvey said:

First, I'm a big proponent of recommending that folks do their own in-depth research in regard to this kind of stuff.  Find studies that aren't directly, or indirectly, financed by the big food companies. I spent a lot of time finding what I felt was reliable info, based on reliable studies. (As reliable as one can expect anyway)

My research concluded that fiber is not necessary, not necessarily bad, but has very little provable benefit.

As for gut microbiome, just in two months, I no longer have any IBS symptoms. So I tend to feel that the early gut issues (three weeks or so) were just my guts changing to deal with the new diet. 

With vitamins, I do take a multivitamin. However, everyone should be taking a multivitamin given the poor quality foods that are generally available, compared with what foods were years ago. However, there are some meats, like liver, that are loaded with vitamins.  

Personal experience has been the clincher for me. My diet has been mostly beef, bacon, butter/ghee, and eggs, with lesser amounts of pork, salmon, chicken, cheese, and small amounts of dairy. I also eat the fat and collagen. I cook all of it in animal fats and butter.

My arthritis improved on the Keto diet. On carnivore, it has improved even more. I don't take OTC pills for it anymore.

I also used to suffer from gout flareups.  That also improved on keto, and completely went away after starting carnivore. Admittedly, I was initially a bit skeptical on the gout issue. I expected it to be an issue, but it hasn't at all.

My guts feel better than they ever have.  Hunger is not a thing anymore either. I have more energy and, although I haven't had it tested, I'm positive my testosterone levels are higher. Depression symptoms are much less frequent and less powerful now, almost gone. 

I haven't had my cholesterol checked since starting carnivore. I do plan to have it checked soon.

Cool deal, thanks for the detailed response!

I can tell you right now that your IBS is better because you're not getting all the chemicals they spray on plants/fruits/grains.  You can use ION Gut to protect against that, if you ever decide to start eating plants/fruits/grains again.

Your arthritis is better due to overall inflammation reduction.  Sugar is a big culprit for arthritis (and about 75 other things).  So again, your new diet fixes that.

With your gout, no doubt your kidneys & liver are happier and working better with your new diet.  So they are able to process toxins better, and therefore no more gout.  Its amazing what our body can do ALL BY ITSELF when it's functioning at peak efficiency.  :thumbsup:

About 80% of your cholesterol is produced by your body, not by your diet.  It is necessary for hormone production and repairing damage to arteries & veins.  Don't worry about it....unless you have inflammation.  "Bad" cholesterol is only bad when you have inflammation.  That's when it becomes sticky (according to my functional doctor, Dr. Kevin).  If it's a little high, exercise to help it out.

Personally I'm interested in the Carnivore diet for weight loss.  Though I'm sure the same can be achieved with Keto. I just have this gut feeling (haha) that I would be more satiated on carnivore.  I'll dig into it some more, but good to hear some personal experience with it!  Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, Stormswift said:

Sis how does chia seed pudding taste and how do you make it?

• 3 weeks later...

I used to add a tsp of coffee (decaf now) ... a dash of vanilla  essence, and stevia to sweeten it. I always use full cream milk from the vats as well (  because im privileged to have access to that, but A2 milk from supermarket might suffice as well). So it's like a rice pudding except with chia seeds and you don't need to heat it. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried keto and feel so much better when I avoid the sugar and flour.    I started IF by doing 12 hours starting with my last meal about 5 pm.   Then I try fasting for 12 hours.    The next day 13 hrs.   Then 14.    The longest I’ve fasted was three and half days, (only once and that was after being sugar and flour free for a month before this)

But I slip up and have to struggle to give up the sugar again.   
I appreciate everyone’s comments about research for yourself because it’s not a one fit all.     What worked for you, might not work for me but I really appreciate all the comments. 

I've done OMAD ... one meal a day, 1 hour eating window. Found it impossible to get all my nutrition in that one meal. I couldn't eat it all. So  a eating window of 4-6 hrs works for me. ( not doing it right now ... time to restart I think.)