JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-27-20-intl-hnk/index.html

China is offering a "Snitch" fee for reporting on those with virus symptoms

"The city of Qianjiang, in China's Hubei province, is awarding residents who proactively report symptoms associated with the novel coronavirus.

Any resident who reports symptoms and is confirmed to have the novel coronavirus will be awarded 10,000 yuan — or about $1,426 — according to a Qianjiang government press release."

"Meanwhile, patients who come forward and are classified as "suspected cases" will be rewarded 2,000 yuan (or $285). Those that are not immediately confirmed to have the illness upon first diagnosis will be rewarded 1,000 yuan ($142)."

Imagine what governments like this will do when they turn on religion...

🔴 BREAKING - Coronavirus: French govt says number of confirmed cases has jumped from 18 to 38 https://f24.my/6DoP.f 

President Emmanuel Macron said Thursday that France was preparing for a jump in the number of coronavirus cases, adding "we are going to have to deal with it as best we can."

"We are facing a crisis, an epidemic that is coming," Macron said while visiting staff at the La Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris, where the first French person carrying the new coronavirus died Tuesday.

"We know that we're only at the beginning... we're going to try with all our caretakers to make the right decisions," Macron said alongside Health Minister Olivier Veran.

"You had a case here... I know this affected many of your teams," he said, pledging to address the crisis "truthfully" so that measures can be taken "calmly".

France has reported 18 cases so far and two deaths, including an 80-year-old Chinese tourist who was the first casualty of the virus reported outside Asia.

The second was a 60-year-old teacher, a case that has worried officials because he had not travelled to an outbreak hotspot.

A 55-year-old man from the same region as the teacher, who also had not travelled to an outbreak zone, was also hospitalised with the virus, and investigations are under way to try to find the source of the infections on French soil.

More than 2,700 people worldwide have died of COVID-19 so far, and almost 80,000 have been infected, mainly in China.

The French government has asked citizens returning from Italy's Lombardy and Veneto regions to avoid "all non-essential outings" and keep their children home from school.

The same recommendations have been issued for people returning from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and South Korea.

(AFP)

On 2/27/2020 at 2:48 AM, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

Looks like the disease kills only the infirm or those who already had some weaknesses in kidneys or livers..hearts.

So some people even say it's just one of those 'cold's, why make a fuss over it, no big deal.

But the fact is that this virus is novel, completely new in the history of mankind, so people don't understand the true potentials this virus has, how far it can get, how powerful it might become, etc. 

Car accidents and the ordinary influenza are killing more people than novel Corona but governments are scared because this virus can spread really quickly and easily and honestly, the lethality isn't that low, either. People want to have control over it before it becomes too big a monster they can't hold. 

Yes anyone with a compromised immune system is at greater risk.

But this isn't the small target they think it is - let's see why:

You have overworked nursing/doctor staff with lowered immunity

You have smokers

Diabetes - (there are 52% of American Adults with type II Diabetes or are pre-diabetic which is still immune resistant, or an immune compromise)

Cancer Patients

Elderly

Crohns

the list is long. 

I don't know many people even in the younger generation who don't have something wrong with them.

Also the meningitis (can't remember which strain) hit University ages ... why? Because they have poor diets lacking Vit C, D - zincs potassiums and magnesiums.

Let's again look at the Seasonal Influenza ... the Rnaught rate is currently around 1.28 annually - which is one person with flu will give it to 1.28 people. There are strains popping up all the time. The vaccine will only vaccinate you against the strain they've developed it for IF that strain hasn't mutated (which is the nature of viruses) in that time. This is why I get sick every time i get the flu shot - it opens my compromised immunity to other strains.

Death rate of Influenza - seasonal on an annual basis - is about .03 - 1% depending on the health system of that country.

Death rate of Spanish Flu - 10%

Ebola - 50%

Rnaught of measles - 14 - that is one of the highest contagion rates

Now the SARS.2.Cov virus - resulting in covid19 disease - 

is Rnaught 2.3 - 3.0 - based on  three months not annual stats so predicted to go as high as 6.0 in some countries. 

Death rate: Britain is predicting a 1% death rate of those infected (predicted to be 40% - 70% of general population) - The organization for disease prevention have predicted a %2 death rate - some medical experts are predicting 3% or higher.

So to compare it with influenza in a years time is fair ... but not now, as we don't know much about this virus and how it is going to play out.

There are also multiple cases in the last few days of those being cleared of the virus being 'reinfected' - raising questions as to whether the tests to clear them were effective or if in fact the virus has mutated and they have been reinfected. That is a scary thought.

It's easy to say at the moment, that it seems to be of low risk to people in general. That is because mostly, it's being contained. If containment doesn't work then we will see the full force of it ... which hopefully will prove those who are saying it's just another flu right .. but there are indications it's already beyond the seasonal flu if many of the stats are as suspected, incorrect.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the state is currently monitoring at least 8,400 others —a day after U.S. health officials confirmed the first possible community transmission of the coronavirus in a Solano County resident....... buckle up West Coast I hope it doesn't hit your homeless population that would be devastating.

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-northern-ireland-confirms-first-case-of-disease-11944791

Now within the island of Ireland... this person flew in through Dublin and then travelled to the north

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

10 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

The Stock Market has tanked at 3,000 points because of this. Oh well.

My 401K was down around 1% last week and I thought about canceling everything and pulling out. I actually tried and they made the app so difficult that I couldn't figure out how to effect any changes. I finally went to do it today and it is down over 5%! Just giving money away. I'm done with it anyway. I managed to put everything into bonds and cancel my future contributions. It's all going down the tubes. What do I need a 401k for?  They advise not to touch it because they say historically over the long term it compensates for minor ups and downs. The problem is historically oh, there isn't going to be a long-term. I'll just use that cash now!

3 minutes ago, rolypoly said:

My 401K was down around 1% last week and I thought about canceling everything and pulling out. I actually tried and they made the app so difficult that I couldn't figure out how to effect any changes. I finally went to do it today and it is down over 5%! Just giving money away. I'm done with it anyway. I managed to put everything into bonds and cancel my future contributions. It's all going down the tubes. What do I need a 401k for?  They advise not to touch it because they say historically over the long term it compensates for minor ups and downs. The problem is historically oh, there isn't going to be a long-term. I'll just use that cash now!

Take a cruise!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

35 minutes ago, rolypoly said:

I don't offer stock advice but if I did that in 2008 I wouldn't be retired now...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, rolypoly said:

I'll take your small change 😆

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, rolypoly said:

I can see how a pandemic will have people throwing their money in the streets.  Look a stock market and oil prices.  Wait til it really hits. 

“‘They will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will become abhorrent to them. Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to save them in the day of Jehovah’s fury."

Could be. I thought this scripture occurs from the start of the GT or mid-way as their gold (which is interesting because during an economic recession gold maintains its value well) will become abhorrent (detestable) because it will utterly useless - they cannot buy their salvation or relationship with Jehovah.

1 hour ago, rolypoly said:

They advise not to touch it because they say historically over the long term it compensates for minor ups and downs. The problem is historically oh, there isn't going to be a long-term. I'll just use that cash now!

If you decide to, beware of severe tax issues (if not of retirement age).

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Just now, AH173 said:

If you decide to, beware of severe tax issues (if not of retirement age).

There is now a letter from The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses to "All Congregations" advising proactive cleanliness similar to the flu scare that we have been advised to follow previously. I will be reading it tonight to our congregation. It will be posted on all information boards.

Nothing really new , just be focused, ready to follow further direction either from authorities or congregationally.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

12 hours ago, runner92 said:

Let me just say this: I do metropolitan witnessing. Let me tell you I DO NOT feel comfortable being around a whole lot of people right now. Plus, during our breaks, we go find people to talk to. We have community spread coronavirus running around now. Not comfortable with that at all. Maybe I just need to pray because I’m most fearful of that form of service right now. 

Chinese ministry in my city, baguio city, philippines is already cancelled.. They only focus on RV and bible study.. If there's one bro or sis is infected with corona, perhaps, meetings will be cancelled.. Bethel branch is preparing for it..... It was announced that we have to report to the elder  anyone who is hospitalized in 5 general hospitals here. 

11 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

What Country are you in?

Just Older emoji3073.png

At this moment it is provided to:

United States including:
Bahamas
Bermuda
British & U.S. Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands

Aruba  
Barbados including:
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Dominica
Grenada
Montserrat
Nevis
Saba
St. Eustatius
St. Kitts
St. Lucia
St. Maarten
St. Vincent and the Grenadines

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has warned Australians to prepare for a coronavirus “pandemic” as the government implements its emergency response plan.
Mr Morrison told reporters there is “every indication the world will soon enter the pandemic phase of the virus”.

He said the government had moved ahead of the World Health Organisation and was now effectively operating on the basis a pandemic had been declared.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/scott-morrison-tells-australians-to-prepare-for-coronavirus-pandemic/news-story/63e23a96e2e8fd3ba189285ab0ce6de05b14c062a6a7a621d9c4b9c376b49270.jpg

Just Older

Streamed  them last year - while never replaces actually being there ... still very effective and enjoyable. I'm thinking ours will be right in middle of flu season so IF the cold speeds up the virus it's a very real possibility but no-one really knows how it's going to play out.

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

I wonder what effect this will have in our conventions? I suppose we could literally just JW stream them if necessary.

We have a CA this Saturday and there hasn't been any announcement about changing it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D