JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

4 hours ago, Bluebell said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/23/europe/italy-novel-coronavirus-spike-intl/index.html

Italy's confirmed cases surged from three on Friday morning to more than 130 by Sunday morning.

Italy's spike now marks the biggest outbreak outside of Asia.

........ announced a ban on public and private meetings, and closures of schools, universities and museums in the region.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51602007

Coronavirus: Venice Carnival closes as Italy imposes lockdown

I am just about to send an email to old family friends who live just a little south of Milan.  They live in one of those old villages, where population is 50 or less.   I've witnessed to them over the years, but they never took note.  Maybe this time they will.  The city of Genoa, where my blood family is from, I read they have Corona Virus there too.   Thanks for posting this story. 

My husband's family lives near Milan, in the northern region of Italy, Lombardy.  Many meetings are canceled. And at least one assembly. Schools , bars restaurants etc. are closed. In Turin, where my brother in law lives, the schools are closed too (for at least next week).  Brothers are encouraged to watch the meetings on streaming. More info to come.

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

1 hour ago, johnnyjw01 said:

Actually I'm seriously worried, things in Italy are getting worse 😭

Its expected... 2016 convention.. Things will become difficult before the end comes. 

7 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

LDC requires that volunteers fill out a medical questionnaire before donning a N95 mask. It does restrict breathing and creates stress on the body. You might need a medical evaluation before using a N95.

Thanks.. Yes.. My heart is weak.. It runs in the family. 

4 hours ago, johnnyjw01 said:

I live in Italy and meeting in some cities are suspended... Bethel sent all the congregations in Italy a letter suggesting us to avoid hugs, kisses, handshakes and other advice... 

Thats what we are talking about in the cart that if theres an epidemic here then meetings will be cancelled.

Took me a bit of effort, but it seems the 13 currently infected in the UK are held up in some military base. So it looks as if we're either containing it that way, OR a group of people who perhaps live on this base came back from China and are staying indoors there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.006717,-3.0010341,3a,75y,160.49h,75.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQuIp_PPoa6M62iQAg8N1mQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I compared google maps to the live virus tracker to the exact specified location in the UK. When I looked on the map at first I thought it was a street of houses, but after going into satelite picture mode, it looked like some sort of installation, lots of steel, uniformity of layout and so on. There is also restricted access on the map when it comes to zooming into it, and a google search of the area gave no answers, only described the village nearby.

So, following what open roads I could I finally came to the place on that first link I posted, and the signs to the entrance read "defence munitions" and it's all very cut off with notifications of guard houses, around the area at other points I could get glimpses on what roads I could zoom into to street view, were warnings of police patrols too.

image.png.025b2f5629c556040d1c0de765e11f10.png

image.png.627efbe9d5dc74cccad1ff946a47265b.png

Edited by EccentricM

South Korea.. now 833, getting close to 1,000 as fast as a virus can. 

Most meetings and ministry arrangements having been officially stopped for one full week..(not sure if this official pause will be prolonged or not)

Most people not getting out at all

For me, I don't think I'll die but I fear the spread of the disease because of me and because it might bring dishonor to JW if I get caught being careless. 

It is a frightening thing to see this burst of increase over the weekend.  Of course it will impact (temporarily) how we witness and meet.  Jehovah will look after our spiritual lives, no matter what happens to us physically.  Brings it all so much closer, doesn't it, how close we must be.  I pray for you, my brothers and sisters in lands where this virus has taken a turn for the worst.  Stay safe! 🌹

In any case, this is the time to consider preparations for a possible pandemic. We may be forced to be cut off from the outside for weeks.

Here are my plans:

- Stock up on fresh washing water from the faucet: I put those in old anti-freeze jugs or old destilled water jugs from the junkyard

- Stock up on drinking water for about 7-10 days minimum

- Stock up on non-perishable food, cold edible, particularly high in protein (cheap tuna, beans), cereal, long-life milk, 

- Stock up on any critical medication if possible

- Stock up on toilet paper and other hygiene articles

- Stock up on pet supplies, food and hygiene supplies

- Fill my jerry cans with fuel and go FIFO with it until the situation has calmed down

- Prioritize our bug-out bags

- Stock up on spiritual energy

44 minutes ago, Nirex said:

How did preaching and meetings happen when it was the Spanish Influenza? Did they cancel them back then?

I don't know.  The scope of the preaching work was much smaller, and they had just gone through a time of testing where the preaching work had stopped while the GB was in jail.  It may have only just started up again in 1919, so much less of an impact.

From time of exposure to time of death: just seven days????!!!  1499077006_FAINTT2303030.GIF.506178269f03f5dc1f687a147cacdb35.GIF

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/24/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-hubei-latest-news-italy-lombardy-south-korea-iran-japan-cases-infections-death-toll-outbreak-xi-jinping-update

1434554497_CoronavirusDeathin7days.gif.ac8fff75aec5be70e2a926325601a05a.gif

I'm almost 70 and my immune system is toast.  :( 

So glad THIS ain't the REAL Life. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Just heard from a dear friend & her family who live in Brescia. She said the schools & offices etc are all closed. They’ve been told not to attend meetings Or go out on the ministry for a few weeks, but instead listen to streaming meetings. Ministry is to be done by phone only & no going out! 😱 she said it’s a bit scary but they’re relying heavily on Jehovah. Lots of prayers for our affected brothers in these countries that are affected with this dreadful virus 🙏🙏

I was never any good at math, but even I can see that the numbers just don't mesh. :( 

1250625172_ScreenHunter_03Feb_2410_53.gif.f072cecdeed19a52e9ce180d6f6fd9b1.gif

962571978_ScreenHunter_02Feb_2410_52.gif.db4edff0fd3c35dbdece25a53bd488fe.gif

61 Iranians had the virus.  12 of them died. Whaaaat.gif.feea69b5080715de6acfcd419ead2539.gif 

6 dead would be almost a 10% death rate so...

Isn't 12 dead more like a 20% + death rate?  :( 

If Iran's figures are accurate, the REAL numbers of dead and infected in China

must be truly staggering!  :( 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

From time of exposure to time of death: just seven days????!!!  1499077006_FAINTT2303030.GIF.506178269f03f5dc1f687a147cacdb35.GIF

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/24/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-hubei-latest-news-italy-lombardy-south-korea-iran-japan-cases-infections-death-toll-outbreak-xi-jinping-update

1434554497_CoronavirusDeathin7days.gif.ac8fff75aec5be70e2a926325601a05a.gif

I'm almost 70 and my immune system is toast.  :( 

So glad THIS ain't the REAL Life. :D 

And no matter where we all are or what we are about to go through, we have to focus on that - The REAL life. Please don't be scared because your immune system isn't up to scratch - just be aware of what is happening around you, prepare and stay in a spiritual routine.  I'm thinking if it hits NZ (and, apparently it hasn't yet) that is when I will act with prudence and start avoiding crowds. It's also good to make sure you are communicating with the body of elders as ones like ourselves will probably have isolate before others - so they know your situation indepth and they can support you. Jehovah is streets ahead in preparing his people - stay positive because we do not fear as the world fears. You are loved Ross, and your family is here for any online support should you need it.

NB: be reasonable and stock basics in food and hygiene items so to avoid the crowds of panic buyers should the situation where you are deteriorates.

Also thinking how valuable jwtalk is going to be for many. (if it stays up)

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

South Korea.. now 833, getting close to 1,000 as fast as a virus can. 

Most meetings and ministry arrangements having been officially stopped for one full week..(not sure if this official pause will be prolonged or not)

Most people not getting out at all

For me, I don't think I'll die but I fear the spread of the disease because of me and because it might bring dishonor to JW if I get caught being careless. 

I am praying hard for the brothers and sisters everywhere, we knew things would get bad, it's still a little shocking to see the speed of this pandemic - the scariest thing  are not the numbers which are still relatively low but the scale of government reaction. To lockdown a city of millions, crippling industry and threatening a nations economy indicates how serious  they believe this could be.