JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you feel safe to travel?

Do you feel safe to travel, especially to other countries? 
We have been invited to a wedding in Greece in July. (Yes, I do have friends ...LOL :whistling:

Together with my wife, we display certain reservations regarding travel during the corona virus outbreak.

Also thinking of large Conventions prepared for us internationally.....how do you feel? 
Would you travel within next few months? 

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

If you mean regarding coronavirus, I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Greece. There haven't been more than a handful cases of coronavirus in Europe and they are quite controlled. There have been no cases at all in Greece as far as I know. I hear there is some hysteria or at least a lot of concern for this virus in Australia and NZ, but that is not the case in Europe. You don't see much people with masks or anything. Life goes on as usual. The virus is seen as a remote threat.

Regarding the conventions, I don't think this outbreak will last a lot more, maybe a couple months. By the time the conventions take place next summer I don't expect it to be a problem anymore.

If you have a chance, have a trip around Greece. You are going to fall in love with the scenery, the food and the lifestyle. We travelled to Greece some years ago and I have a lot of wonderful memories.

Edited by carlos

I think the danger is not in Greece itself, but the air travel and transit to get there. It’s a long way from Australia. Everything is a long way from Australia!

So you are stuck for a long time in a confined space with others from hotspots who may be carriers. It’s not possible to disinfect and properly clean planes with the turn around they have.

I think travel at the moment is something you have to really weigh up. Even travel insurance won’t cover you if you get coronavirus. Australia and NZ have close connections with Asia too, not like Europe and US far away. It’s more real to us. 

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I think the danger is not in Greece itself, but the air travel and transit to get there. It’s a long way from Australia. Everything is a long way from Australia!

Yes, spot on Lucy, I am concerned about air travel, being stuck with possible virus carriers, breathing the same air, yes it’s real for us as I was on the ship, where crew member was Isolated because he came from Diamond Princess (the ship that is quarantined in Japan) 

I am currently in self imposed quarantine, as I display some symptoms of flu, cough, mild fever etc ( getting much better though) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

7 hours ago, carlos said:

If you have a chance, have a trip around Greece. You are going to fall in love with the scenery, the food and the lifestyle. We travelled to Greece some years ago and I have a lot of wonderful memories.

Carlos, I have been to Greece 2 times already ...(wide and long) And I do agree with you ...love the country. 

3 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

(interesting about the crew member from Diamond Princess on your ship...)

To be honest we panicked bit about it ..wanted to disembark in Auckland, and fly back to Australia.

The cruise continues to operate while that person is on the lock-down. (it's Golden Princess)

Not sure if current passengers are aware of it.

No cruises for me for a long time.....

5 minutes ago, rocket said:

I heard on the news tonight that the coronavirus is going to be around until next year. It's spread around the world by air travel. So for me, local flights are all I am opting for, International flights are out of the question.

And this is how I feel exactly ...air travel presents grave dangers in this current outbreak of Coronavirus.

Risks out weight positive notes of travel.

• 3 weeks later...

So you are stuck for a long time in a confined space with others from hotspots who may be carriers. It’s not possible to disinfect and properly clean planes with the turn around they have.

I think travel at the moment is something you have to really weigh up. Even travel insurance won’t cover you if you get coronavirus. Australia and NZ have close connections with Asia too, not like Europe and US far away. It’s more real to us. 

3/01/20 ....A sister and her daughter in our hall just got back from Phillipines (after about 5 wks) and came right to the KH Sunday! That’s when the letter was read from the organization regarding the COVID19 virus!

We stayed after the meeting on the advice of the coordinator and wiped down the chair arms with a BIG container of disinfectant wipes!

Well again tonite the friends were doing a lot of hugging! Parents were turning their babies over to be held as well! Again, we wiped down the chair arms.

It is my understanding from all the news reports that anyone entering the US from overseas should be cleared by a dr.

My point is this: AM I being paranoid if I don’t join in?

I’m older and have a weak immune system which is why I’m trying to be cautious!

Thanks everyone!

Voni in NC

Here a link to statistics of CoronaVirus worldwide: I hope it works, it changes constantly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

3 hours ago, walkr2 said:

Nothing wrong with your attitude, especially when you have weak immune system.

I just hope that others are understanding towards you .... we are living in a very difficult and testing times.  

15 hours ago, walkr2 said:

That's exactly why the letter was read. They are trying to protect ones like you and help people be attentive to your needs.
(1 Thessalonians 5:14) "On the other hand, we urge you, brothers, to... support the weak, be patient toward all."

On 3/3/2020 at 4:27 AM, walkr2 said:

3/01/20 ....A sister and her daughter in our hall just got back from Phillipines (after about 5 wks) and came right to the KH Sunday! That’s when the letter was read from the organization regarding the COVID19 virus!

We stayed after the meeting on the advice of the coordinator and wiped down the chair arms with a BIG container of disinfectant wipes!

Well again tonite the friends were doing a lot of hugging! Parents were turning their babies over to be held as well! Again, we wiped down the chair arms.

It is my understanding from all the news reports that anyone entering the US from overseas should be cleared by a dr.

Voni, the Philippines are not a specially risky area. There have been like 3 cases there so far, while there have been many more infected people in the US. There is no reason why those sisters should not attend the meeting.

It's good that you take measures to prevent infection, especially if you have a weaker immune system. Everybody should understand that, that was the point of the letter.

On the other hand, the brothers haven't said we should not hug. They have suggested it would be better to avoid hugs and handshakes if there is an outbreak in our area. That is not the case in most areas. It's understandable that some friends are not as concerned as you are. :)

No less safe than ever. Even if there wasn't the coronavirus, you never know when the next outbreak of anything will come out. I never felt safe going on a cruise in that sense, because you spend more time in confined quarters, but on a plane, you're only going to be in close proximity with 1 or 2 people and you're only gonna be confined for maybe 12 hours or less. I know the presence of a real epidemic makes the possibility more real, but considering the low likelihood of actually catching this virus, and the even lower likelihood of dying from it, I don't see any rational reason to stop living my life as a result from it.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:04 AM, carlos said:

Voni, the Philippines are not a specially risky area. There have been like 3 cases there so far, while there have been many more infected people in the US. There is no reason why those sisters should not attend the meeting.

It's good that you take measures to prevent infection, especially if you have a weaker immune system. Everybody should understand that, that was the point of the letter.

On the other hand, the brothers haven't said we should not hug. They have suggested it would be better to avoid hugs and handshakes if there is an outbreak in our area. That is not the case in most areas. It's understandable that some friends are not as concerned as you are. :)

We got another letter that was read SUNDAY past...no hugging, nor any type of closeness in our area!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

20 hours ago, Katty said:

but on a plane, you're only going to be in close proximity with 1 or 2 people and you're only gonna be confined for maybe 12 hours or less

Breathing the same air? Unless you try to open window LOL 

I don’t think any type of transport is “safe” at the moment, as it exposes person to mixing with others.

The travel industry will go into “recession” big way. (The signs already are here)
Just last Saturday I have noticed a local travel agent shop completely empty, and normally they are quite busy. 
I know personally so many that have canceled/postponed their travel plans. 

Edited by New World Explorer

There has been a drop in travel. The airlines are taking some extra measures for disinfecting so they can "feel safer". Amtrak in the US is allowing cancellations without penalties.

On the news this morning, when they were talking about measures to take while traveling they said plainly - Don't Take ANY Cruises!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

47 minutes ago, Qapla said:

There has been a drop in travel. The airlines are taking some extra measures for disinfecting so they can "feel safer". Amtrak in the US is allowing cancellations without penalties.

On the news this morning, when they were talking about measures to take while traveling they said plainly - Don't Take ANY Cruises!

Cruise industry will be decimated. 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, carlos said:

If you mean regarding coronavirus, I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Greece. There haven't been more than a handful cases of coronavirus in Europe and they are quite controlled. There have been no cases at all in Greece as far as I know. I hear there is some hysteria or at least a lot of concern for this virus in Australia and NZ, but that is not the case in Europe. You don't see much people with masks or anything. Life goes on as usual. The virus is seen as a remote threat.

Regarding the conventions, I don't think this outbreak will last a lot more, maybe a couple months. By the time the conventions take place next summer I don't expect it to be a problem anymore.

It's eerie how much circumstanes have changed since this post. As of me writing this email, there are more than 300 cases and several deaths in Greece.

I traveled recently to Mexico and was not worried or hindered in any way.. but.. Now travel is being curtailed or limited somehow in most regions. Very unfortunate.

Stay safe brothers