JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

This is the latest organisation accomplishments. It mentions in this video the jw.org and JW Library will soon take over from Watchtower Online Library and Watchtower Library Rom. 🤯
I love using the watchtower library rom, this update make me very sad. 😭

Organizational Accomplishments—Update on Our Websites and Apps  

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_periodical/4a/mwbv_E_202003_04_r720P.mp4

Edited by carlos

Clarify title

42 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

The big problem on JWL for that change to take place, as of this moment, is a lack of a global search utility. If that comes, it will be a much better option than the 2 others - Offline + Android/iOS support

Oh well, change is always happening. 

I'm just a little jealous that ios has more JW Library features than Windows and Android. I would hope all platforms in it will be equal.

Additionaly, I used the search tool for looking up Robert P. Johnson (featured on March 2020 JWB). It worked out as shown!

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

3 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Oh well, change is always happening. 

I'm just a little jealous that ios has more JW Library features than Windows and Android. I would hope all platforms in it will be equal.

What features are you referring to? I can only remember the definition option...

I think that was it plus a few other things on another topic forum where it was discussed. You are right.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

This is what I was referring to

image.thumb.png.b469ea1c05af40a7bf503150988ece53.png

58 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

The big problem on JWL for that change to take place, as of this moment, is a lack of a global search utility. If that comes, it will be a much better option than the 2 others - Offline + Android/iOS support

The JWL certainly needs a lot of improvements before this is to take place I hope. Being a mobile app, it is very slow, and a lot more to prone to produce errors and to crash. WTL on the other hand is much more stable.

I prefer WTLibrary. I use multiple times every day. My only wish is that WTLibrary had a google type search engine since I am loosing my abilityto type, often mispelling the words.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Very sad announcement, I don’t see it as a progress as of today, unless JWLibrary is vastly improved. 
Actually I see it as a step backwards. 
When I prepare my talks etc, I always resort to stable environment of online library or WT CD. (Great for research and copy and paste) 

I Am sad. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Very sad announcement, I don’t see it as a progress as of today, unless JWLibrary is vastly improved. 

When I prepare my talks etc, I always resort to stable environment of online library or WT CD. (Great for research and copy and paste) 

I Am sad. 

Don’t be. The brother would never change anything unless it is silver to gold. They see a need and fills it the best way possible. There’s no reason to worry or be sad. Look forward instead, to how this need will be met in a better way in the future.

Meanwhile, get acquainted with the awesome jw.org consolidated search. It searches even video and audio. As I understand it, this search feature as well as a search feature on jw.org will be improved before WT Library and WOL is phased out.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I don't really like the (android) tablet app. As time has gone by it's taken up more and more space and become more processor hungry. My wife's older tablet (2yrs), that she only uses for meetings and service, has had to been reset twice since the update that introduced the study bible. It struggles to play the study bible media. everything else works fine though slow. she may have to buy a newer one, but is struggling with the expense as it's only a few years old.

Even though it would actually increase usage, being able to open multiple instances of the app would be nice.  Many times during the meeting I will whip out my phone to check another article or look up something in the insight book that just occurred to me. I don't want to do it in the app on my tablet because then i'm stabbing at the tablet trying to get back to my place.

at home it's WTlib and my bible. I tried to use the JWL on my laptop and it reminds me of the frustration of the app.

I'm thinking about going back to paper copy for the WT study, or at least printing my own. I've tried for a year to get used to it on the screen and my eyes just dont work that way.

Edited by Leon J

additional info

I don't really like the (android) tablet app. As time has gone by it's taken up more and more space and become more processor hungry. My wife's older tablet (2yrs), that she only uses for meetings and service, has had to been reset twice since the update that introduced the study bible. It struggles to play the study bible media. everything else works fine though slow. she may have to buy a newer one, but is struggling with the expense as it's only a few years old.

Even though it would actually increase usage, being able to open multiple instances of the app would be nice.  Many times during the meeting I will whip out my phone to check another article or look up something in the insight book that just occurred to me. I don't want to do it in the app on my tablet because then i'm stabbing at the tablet trying to get back to my place.

at home it's WTlib and my bible. I tried to use the JWL on my laptop and it reminds me of the frustration of the app.

I use the JW Library every day on various platforms. My experience is that it works fine. It has been my understanding for some time now that the other applications were to be made redundant and eventually phased out. But we are talking about a project to phase them out over a number of years - a project that can be stopped by the Governing Body if it turns out not to be for the very best of the global congregation. But let’s face it - more people today have access to smartphones and tablets than regular computers.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

17 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I use the JW Library every day on various platforms. My experience is that it works fine. It has been my understanding for some time now that the other applications were to be made redundant and eventually phased out. But we are talking about a project to phase them out over a number of years - a project that can be stopped by the Governing Body if it turns out not to be for the very best of the global congregation. But let’s face it - more people today have access to smartphones and tablets than regular computers.

Does JW Library function well on your PC? It is so slow as to almost useless on mine. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I Am sad. 

I hope WTL will have all the 2020 Mags, MWB and other publication that get released this year. meaning that there may not be any updates after 31 of December 2020.

P.s. Does any use WOL for research or meeting prep?

Edited by Luigi62

29 minutes ago, Leon J said:

being able to open multiple instances of the app would be nice

Yeah, that's how i use my WTLibrary. Like 3 or 5 WTLibrary windows open simultaneously. 

I really like the JW Library app. It's much cleaner and it is better for video. And it's nice that it's multiplatform. It's also great that it has the notes. I love that. 

However, like others have said, the search operations are severely lacking in comparison to WTL. I also don't want to have to download each publication individually while I am doing lots of research. 

As others have said, the app also crashes. (as a side note, I've given up on using the JWLib app for listening to music. I just uploaded it all onto a cloud service. Must smoother experience)

If JWLib can have the same functionality as the WTLib, that would be fantastic. I would be instantly sold. Being able to search by sentence, paragraph, or article. Being able to use the advanced search operations

• asterisk* 
  • "quotes"
  • ast*risk
  • the && function
  • and so many others...

I haven't watched the video yet, but I have a hard time believing that they'd phase out WTLib without introducing these features into JWLib and JW.org. 

(P.S. Watchtower brothers, please include searchable video and audio transcripts into the future JWLib. Please, thx.)

EDIT: I just started watching the posted video, he says about halfway through that "You'll be pleased to know that we'll be adding similar search features to JWLibrary" refering to the search operation in WTL. 

By "similar" I do really hope he means "functionally identical." Even if the actual operations that you have to type in are different, as long as you can be just as specific as in the WTL, I see this as an absolute win.