JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

I seem to recall being able to open up to the video categories in tv.jw.org front and center? 🤷‍♂️

Anywho, JW Library now at last has improved functionality for sharing the links to videos on the website, and even to android phones or social media, and it also has the best interface for scrolling through videos currently. I still need to retrain myself to look for videos there when on the PC rather than out of habit on tv.jw.org. Still checking the website daily via What's New because JW Library does not contain news articles and lags behind on the New Videos. There will always be a public market for JW.org and a private market for apps like JWL, and consolidation is ultimately a good. I would just prefer that all of the new stuff be in place first before transitioning... not likely to happen, oh well.

Edited by Myew

Thats a shame. I love the online library. The research topic pages are my favorite way to research - the research guides on JWL just arent that extensive comparatively. Hope this means they’ll be adding these features to the mobile app instead of doing away with them altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Are there any features from tv.jw.org that you are missing in jw.org? (Except for perhaps the dark background...)

No longer able to listen to music from the "Sing Praises to Jehovah"

No longer able to listen to music from the "Sing Praises to Jehovah"

That songbook has been phased out, like other older publications.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Myew said:

The ability to open up the videos with a very short and memorable address, without waiting for 15 seconds for a redirect that should be instant or having to click through extra pages and scroll really far down the page to see the categories.

You can still have that ability

Create a shortcut with the name "tv.jw.org" and link "https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/home"

And there you go, immediately access to the videos using your familiar shortcut name :)

I don't think WOL will disappear, I think it will just be integrated on JW.org.

JW Library doesn't have by far the search possibilities that WTL and WOL offer. That would be like going back to the printed publications and the Index. It doesn't make sense that they will be removed without providing an alternative and I don't think that will happen. Besides, not everybody has storage capacity in their devices to download all the publications in JWL.

2 hours ago, carlos said:

I don't think WOL will disappear, I think it will just be integrated on JW.org.

JW Library doesn't have by far the search possibilities that WTL and WOL offer. That would be like going back to the printed publications and the Index. It doesn't make sense that they will be removed without providing an alternative and I don't think that will happen. Besides, not everybody has storage capacity in their devices to download all the publications in JWL.

Apparently JWL will receive search functions before that change

AS for the space, remember that publications don't occupy that much space (not like videos) - I remember when I had the isilo app all the watchtower library occupied around 300mb. That's less than a single JWB video...

7 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

WTL doesn't have is STUDY NOTE PICTURES.

Bibles -> Study Bible -> Media Gallery -> Matthew <-> Romans
It even has the videos. Part of why the size of it grew so much. When they first implemented it, a lot of the pictures/videos didn't work for me, but they seem to now. WTL isn't the best format for pictures though. I use WTL for scripture research, WoL for publication research, and JWL for meetings / study notes / videos.

Edited by Myew

Remember when the JW Library was just a Bible? In English. And then it was evolved into a full fledged tool for meetings and ministry. In several languages. Why not a research tool for personal study as well?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Hello,
I am currently looking on the website, JW.org, and I cannot find any reference to this.  Can someone post the link from the website?

Is it this link you are looking for?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/pub-mwbv_202003_4_VIDEO

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, but here is the issue: your link takes me to it online directly but what section is it in under Video Categories?  Our Organization?  Our Activities?  

Without your link I honestly cannot find it.  This is where I go trying to locate it:

https://ibb.co/945wx2z

12 minutes ago, Cheeks said:

Yes, but here is the issue: your link takes me to it online directly but what section is it in under Video Categories?  Our Organization?  Our Activities?  

Without your link I honestly cannot find it.  This is where I go trying to locate it:

It is a file that belongs to the midweek meeting March 30 to April 5. It can be found as a an attached media for that week both in your JW Library as well as on jw.org. In a while it will be linked to from the subheading Reports From Around the World. You will also be able to search for it using the consolidated search feature on jw.org.

Here is the MWM schedule for that week: https://www.jw.org/en/library/jw-meeting-workbook/march-2020-mwb/Our-Christian-Life-and-Ministry-Schedule-for-March-30-April-5-2020/

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It is a file that belongs to the midweek meeting March 30 to April 5. It can be found as a an attached media for that week both in your JW Library as well as on jw.org. In a while it will be linked to from the subheading Reports From Around the World. You will also be able to search for it using the consolidated search feature on jw.org.

Here is the MWM schedule for that week: https://www.jw.org/en/library/jw-meeting-workbook/march-2020-mwb/Our-Christian-Life-and-Ministry-Schedule-for-March-30-April-5-2020/

I feel like such an idiot lol! 

Thanks my brother.  :thumbsup:

We usually use the WOL, partly because it's the quickest and most convenient thing to open, but also because it allows you to have multiple articles open at once and switch between them easily.  WT Library hasn't seemed stable since the 2015 edition - starting it up always makes my disk activity go up to 100% and stay there until I switch it off, and I worry it's going to damage my hard drive, so I uninstalled it.  I thought when I upgraded to an SSD it would probably be OK so I tried downloading it again, but no, it still constantly uses up as much disk activity as it possibly can as long as the application is open, though doing apparently nothing.  JW Library runs OK, but the GUI is so limiting - it handles like what it is, a cellphone app running on a PC.

10 minutes ago, Ferb said:

We usually use the WOL, partly because it's the quickest and most convenient thing to open, but also because it allows you to have multiple articles open at once and switch between them easily. 

>:D< Yes, I like this too. (In fact I have 2 of them opened at the same time, one in English, another one in Polish -looking for expression differences etc  - preparing a public talk) 

JW library is just different. 

But perhaps brothers will re-shape it completely, so all those issues are promptly addressed. 

Let's wait and see...

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

10 hours ago, jayrtom said:

AS for the space, remember that publications don't occupy that much space (not like videos) - I remember when I had the isilo app all the watchtower library occupied around 300mb. That's less than a single JWB video...

That's true for the old publications without pictures, not so much for the current ones. The English Watchtower Library in my PC weighs 5 GB, the Spanish and the Romanian ones, 2GB each. Not all phones have that much free space.

9 hours ago, Myew said:

It even has the videos. Part of why the size of it grew so much. When they first implemented it, a lot of the pictures/videos didn't work for me, but they seem to now. WTL isn't the best format for pictures though. I use WTL for scripture research, WoL for publication research, and JWL for meetings / study notes / videos.

WOW. I did not know that was there. why not put it with the bible book why have a separate tab for the media?

11 hours ago, Myew said:

The picture material (Media Gallery) is included with 1st and 2nd Corinthians as well.

11 hours ago, Cheeks said:

It doesn't exist yet anywhere else on the website.   

7 hours ago, carlos said:

That's true for the old publications without pictures, not so much for the current ones. The English Watchtower Library in my PC weighs 5 GB, the Spanish and the Romanian ones, 2GB each. Not all phones have that much free space.

Carlos, Any windows app, even if it's just an "Hello World" one will be huge just by all the required libraries

You can make an experiment of looking into how much space is jwl using on your device before and after downloading a couple of recent watchtowers

even if it's 2gb in total after all publications are loaded (btw I won't download every publication since 1950 or even 1970) it isn't that much space for any smartphone that supports JWL (any phone which has less than 8gb by default will stuggle to run jwl even if there's no pubs downloaded)

At this moment the publications can't be downloaded to an sd card but I believe that will change

I have great expectations for this change :)