JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

Right now, more and more books are continually being added directly onto JW.ORG rather than the Online Library.

For example, just a few days ago, I noticed the book Pay Attention to Daniel’s Prophecy! is now available at jw.org — previously that certainly wasn’t there, I’m sure. (Pictures are absent, of course.)

Pay Attention to Daniel’s Prophecy!

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=dp&srcid=share

With this I do conjecture WOL will be replaced very soon, although with no certainty.

3 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Right now, more and more books are continually being added directly onto JW.ORG rather than the Online Library.

For example, just a few days ago, I noticed the book Pay Attention to Daniel’s Prophecy! is now available at jw.org — previously that certainly wasn’t there, I’m sure. (Pictures are absent, of course.)

With this I do conjecture WOL will be replaced very soon, although with no certainty.

I am not sure what you mean.  Daniel's Prophecy book is available on the Watchtower Library already.  Did you mean that the JW Library app is "catching up" or were youo only referring to WOL?

4 minutes ago, Hinata said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at either. Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy! has been on jw.org since at least November 1, 2019.

Daniel.jpg.78c27d11999563323323aef5afe7f822.jpg

7 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I am not sure what you mean.  Daniel's Prophecy book is available on the Watchtower Library already.  Did you mean that the JW Library app is "catching up" or were youo only referring to WOL?

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at either. Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy! has been on jw.org since at least November 1, 2019.

I meant that the book was originally not available to read on jw.org. Few weeks ago when I clicked on the book, there were only an option to download. For example, the Jeremiah book can’t be read on jw.org, you can only download it.

God's Word for Us Through Jeremiah

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=jr&srcid=share

I mainly use Korean version of the website, so I’m not sure if it always been like that in English (available on jw.org) or it’s also been updated.

But I did notice it because just a few weeks ago when I went to the book, I couldn’t read it on jw.org, I had to use WOL.

Then now, it’s on jw.org to read, too. No need to go to WOL.

Okay, I get what you mean now. To download, but not read. Although the Daniel's Prophecy book has been on WOL and WTLib for some time.

20 minutes ago, Hinata said:

It's good you added "with no certainty" at the end. I don't think we can expect to do away with WTLib and WOL "very soon." To me, JW Library has a long way to go before it gets anywhere near the search capabilities of WTLib or WOL. To do any serious research, I always go to WTLib to be able to access the Indexes 1930-1985 and 1986-2021. The Research Guide only has things that were already referenced in the more recent Index, but not the older one. For me, they are still a "gold mine" of information, even if not the most recent.

(Just as a quick example, I tried typing "1,260 days" in the search in WTLib and in JW Library. Try it yourself, and see what comes up in each.)

if WTL is removed, how can I study our publications without an internet connection on my computer? ??  Does Jw library works like that? 

JW Library allows you to download publications and media files to your computer device.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

25 minutes ago, carlos said:

Jimi, have you never used JW Library?

Doesn’t it require an internet connection and that works better on mobile devices than computers.

Edited by Jimi-L

No matter how the wind howls the mountain cannot bow to it. 

27 minutes ago, Jimi-L said:

Doesn’t it require an internet connection and that works better on mobile devices than computers.

Jimi, you can use JW Library on Windows 10 too.

I do all my preparation and underlining on JW Library on Windows 10 large screen PC.

No. You don't need an internet connection to use JW Library but you need an internet connection to download publications and updates.

• 1 month later...

I believe just recently, this feature has been added on jw.org: (Read On) Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY™. For example, on the download page for the book Examining the Scriptures Daily—2021, a prompt to read the book on WOL is shown as below:

ipjworges21wolprompt.jpg.3c0324b7b001067b895b40b76f7c1454.jpg

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=es21&srctype=wol&srcid=share

I do not believe this feature has been there before. Other books with this feature are “Come Be My Follower,” Live With Jehovah’s Day in Mind, and God’s Word for Us Through Jeremiah.

Would this mean that the plan to merge WOL will be delayed for some time?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, Hinata said:

Daniel's Prophecy is available on WOL  under Books Titled as Daniel's Prophecy. If it disappears I will be in a mess. I don't run Windows and a Tablet is nearly useless to me. I have poor eyesight and my hands shake. WOL is brilliant for me. I used to use Watchtower Library but this is easier to use. I don't think the Governing Body will approve of depriving many of such a useful resource.

1 hour ago, Barrowman said:

Daniel's Prophecy is available on WOL  under Books Titled as Daniel's Prophecy. If it disappears I will be in a mess. I don't run Windows and a Tablet is nearly useless to me. I have poor eyesight and my hands shake. WOL is brilliant for me. I used to use Watchtower Library but this is easier to use. I don't think the Governing Body will approve of depriving many of such a useful resource.

I agree too. WOL is extremely versatile tool for many. JW Library has its own disadvantages that WTL/WOL doesn’t have. I personally prefer these two because they are much faster to run than JWL. WOL does not make me to force-wait 10 seconds every time I want to load a scripture. I don’t need to wait 10 minutes downloading a publication on WOL. It’s all instant.

I do very hope the Governing Body sincerely reconsiders the high versatility of the Watchtower Online Library and continue to support it.

I also preferred the old tv.jw.org arrangement too, it had much, much more features than the current “videos” section in jw.org. Too bad it is now all gone.

• 1 year later...