JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

I meant to say that the publications are available, as in, "built-in" to the program. That is, not having to be downloaded first. WTLIB has, for example, the Watchtower of, let's say, November 15, 1992. JWLIB does not.

Here's an example: You're doing research on Hebrews 11:26, so you look it up in the Index 1986-2021, or in the Research Guide. There's a reference to that verse leading you to "w92 11/15 30". You can't read it in JWLIB unless you download the magazine first. WTLIB already has it ready for your perusal.

Many people who use tablets or phones have limited memory. Isn’t it a good thing that we have the option to decide what we keep on it? (Although, a download all option would be awesome).

If the brothers decide to implement a universal search function, it will no doubt search what you have decided to download, which includes new publications and article series, not within months, but within days of being published, and perhaps even video files, like in JW.org.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Doesn't JW Library run on Apple?

I don't have anything Apple, so I don't know. Please correct me if I understood it wrong!

JW Library works fine on iOS, an operative system for apple iPhone and iPad. However, Watchtower Library is not available for iOS or macOS, which is the operative system used for apple Macintosh computers.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, walkr2 said:

Since we don’t have the Watchtower Library on Apple tablets, what will we do, those of us that use Apple products? Please correct me if I understood it wrong!

Thx
Voni in NC

Sr. Voni, you are absolutely correct.  The point of this part of the discussion is why we still hang onto the Windows (only) Watchtower Library.  Several post here pointed out that the material in WTL is comprehensive and inclusive (even old).  The WTL has an enormous ability to search through these publications in a timely manner.  These features are not part of JW Library (yet).  The point I was making with the sample pictures was to show the difference of what you can find in JW Library versus the WTL program.  Even if the have the same publications installed, you can't research them in the same way or with the same thoroughness.  Our organization is working on it and a time will come when they do away with the Watchtower Library updates.  But until then, the Windows program of WTL is the best research tool we have.  

If you can't use it, use what you have.  The WTL is not available in all languages either.  If it is not in your language, use what you have.

Edited by jwhess

JW Library works fine on iOS, an operative system for apple iPhone and iPad. However, Watchtower Library is not available for iOS or macOS, which is the operative system used for apple Macintosh computers.

Actually iOS the operating system for iPhone and iPod Touch. iPads run iPadOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually iOS the operating system for iPhone and iPod Touch. iPads run iPadOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I knew I could trust someone to correct me there. I did not want to complicate matters.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

If that’s the case then you should’ve just said “it works on iPhone and iPad but not on Macs”

rather than delving into operating systems

Thank you for your clever input. I’ll take it into account next time.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, jwhess said:

Remember the idea is to "merge" to eliminate.  We are getting closer (older pubs being included in the app, etc).  If we can just get the index from WTL ported over....♥️

Yeah. And the search feature in JW Library has a lo-o-o-o-o-ng way to go before it'll be anywhere close to what Watchtower Library (or WOL) is capable of.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, carlos said:

I don't think WOL will disappear, I think it will just be integrated on JW.org.

JW Library doesn't have by far the search possibilities that WTL and WOL offer. That would be like going back to the printed publications and the Index. It doesn't make sense that they will be removed without providing an alternative and I don't think that will happen. Besides, not everybody has storage capacity in their devices to download all the publications in JWL.

that would be fine.
I can see that happening, actually. I imagine jw.org will probably start resembling the app more

Yeah. And the search feature in JW Library has a lo-o-o-o-o-ng way to go before it'll be anywhere close to what Watchtower Library (or WOL) is capable of.

No, just adding way of searching the database that can handle the right algorithms. It’s coming, I’m sure.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

And also to reduce the lags/the loading times such as when clicking on a bible verse, is another elephant in the room to solve. Such problems are near non existant in the WOL and Watchtower Library.

That seems to be more an issue with the device you use, I think. But maybe the brothers will come up with a solution to that.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

19 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

That seems to be more an issue with the device you use, I think. But maybe the brothers will come up with a solution to that.

What Bro Johan says is true.

I used to have an OPPO R15, and the loading time when clicking on a bible verse in jwlibrary was a bit slow but acceptable. But changing to the Xiaomi MI10T Pro with a snapdragon 865 made a huge difference in opening a scripture.

But a brother who had an IPhone 9 didn't have this problem. The IPhone 9 opened bible verses instantly. I was shocked.😅

7 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

I used to have an OPPO R15, and the loading time when clicking on a bible verse in jwlibrary was a bit slow but acceptable. But changing to the Xiaomi MI10T Pro with a snapdragon 865 made a huge difference in opening a scripture.

Well, it's a fact that JW Library doesn't run fluidly in less powerful devices. That is not a problem with either WOL or WTL.

29 minutes ago, carlos said:

Well, it's a fact that JW Library doesn't run fluidly in less powerful devices. That is not a problem with either WOL or WTL.

That's right. I always recommend brothers to buy at least a mid range android phone for good jwlibrary response. Those who buy low end android phone always complain of slow response.

Is it still the plan to phase out Watchtower Library and Online Library?   WT Library received an update a few months ago that added new features to download or stream videos, so that videos (like the study bible videos etc)  are no longer included in the monthly updates, thus reducing their size.   So they are still working on it, not abandoning it.  At least not yet.

If they added the links for the digital downloads (PDF, jwpubs, mp3) into WOL, then they could remove the "Books and Brochures", Magazines and Meeting Workbooks from the Library section from jw.org and replace it with the Online Library.   It could become the one-stop place for studying, searching, and downloading publications.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, On the huh said:

Is it still the plan to phase out Watchtower Library and Online Library?   WT Library received an update a few months ago that added new features to download or stream videos, so that videos (like the study bible videos etc)  are no longer included in the monthly updates, thus reducing their size.   So they are still working on it, not abandoning it.  At least not yet.

If they added the links for the digital downloads (PDF, jwpubs, mp3) into WOL, then they could remove the "Books and Brochures", Magazines and Meeting Workbooks from the Library section from jw.org and replace it with the Online Library.   It could become the one-stop place for studying, searching, and downloading publications.

Unfortunately as the thread mentions, WTL is only available on Windows. Android and mobile are the dominant OSs worldwide. Many of our brothers only have a phone or tablet. As soon as JW library gets a few more powerful features, we’ll all love it as the most powerful research tool. We can pray about it tonight and see what the brothers have in store for us!

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

but... there never was an iPhone 9 😳

2016: iPhone 7

2017: iPhone 8 and iPhone X

2018: iPhone Xs and iPhone Xr

2019: iPhone 11

Oops. Sorry must be an iphone 8 then. 😅

That's why I was surprised as it was an old Iphone.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Oh dear... if iPhone 8 is old then mine must be antique 

Sometimes it is the hardware not keeping up and sometimes it is the old software (OS) that won't function in the required new way.  I was given a Kindle *" HD (3rd generation model) that I cannot get JW Library to work on.  The Kindle Fire-OS loads OK but when I try to get the JW Library app to work, it says it is not compatible.

Sometimes the old stuff gets "really old" and just does not do the job any more.