JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

36 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

P.s. Does any use WOL for research or meeting prep?

On my laptop, I rarely use WOL for anything, since everything there is on Watchtower Library. That's what I always turn to for research and meeting preparation. I also have JW Library installed, but almost never use it for about the same reasons. Having used WTL since the beginning (maybe 1993?), I know how it works and it is much easier to use.

I used to have an Android tablet so I could use JW Library. But after a year I just couldn't get used to it. (Or, maybe it couldn't get used to me.) It was not because of JW Library, but I never got the hang of touching the tablet's screen for whatever you want to do. I sold the tablet to a brother and went back to using paper copies of everything for the meetings and service. I'm much more comfortable with that. And it seems I'm not the only one in my congregation who has done the same thing.

I have both JWL and WTL on my PC. I use them differently.

I use JWL to watch the videos for the meetings and to study for the meetings since there are hot links to the reference material

I tend to use WTL when I will need to do searches for my information.

If what they showed in the video works out, I am willing to give it a try.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In the video, the brother mentioned that the WT Library will slowly be phased out and that they plan to add similar "search" functions like in the WT Library to the newer versions of JW.org and the JW Library App. So while I have loved the WT Library CD and have primarily used it for most research over many years now, I am happy to change to using what will be the newer, improved version of JW.org and the JW Library App.  They may even improve on these search functions, since the brother mentioned that "similar" search functions would be used. This would be very good as some brothers/sisters rarely or never use "search operators" and therefore are unable to do the deeper research they desire. And being able to search audio and video is so helpful as Johan mentioned! 

Plus, because the online versions already have all of the pictures, visual graphs, charts, audio and videos, the online versions will be better and easier to use! Sometimes now when we use the WT Library on our computer, an article will mention about a chart or picture, but it is not available, you then have to the go find it on JW.org. And for any picture or chart that is available on the WT Library, when you "right click" on it, you cannot copy or save it. Also, this will save much time for the brothers in these departments from having to try and update different libraries. Instead, they can spend more time improving and enhancing the online versions! (tu)

I understand for some people that change can be difficult at times. But in our organization, change is always good, for the better,  because change means improvement for our worldwide brotherhood, even though we may feel more comfortable with some of the old ways. 

*** w06 5/15 p. 24 ***
Jehovah has brought about progressive adjustments in the earthly part of his organization. These have served to beautify, stabilize, and strengthen his arrangement for our spiritual protection

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

This is the latest organisation accomplishments. It mentions in this video the jw.org and JW Library will soon take over from Watchtower Online Library and Watchtower Library Rom.
I love using the watchtower library rom, this update make me very sad.
Organizational Accomplishments—Update on Our Websites and Apps  
https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_periodical/4a/mwbv_E_202003_04_r720P.mp4

Where is this on the website? I can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

On my laptop, I rarely use WOL for anything, since everything there is on Watchtower Library. That's what I always turn to for research and meeting preparation. I also have JW Library installed, but almost never use it for about the same reasons. Having used WTL since the beginning (maybe 1993?), I know how it works and it is much easier to use.

I used to have an Android tablet so I could use JW Library. But after a year I just couldn't get used to it. (Or, maybe it couldn't get used to me.) It was not because of JW Library, but I never got the hang of touching the tablet's screen for whatever you want to do. I sold the tablet to a brother and went back to using paper copies of everything for the meetings and service. I'm much more comfortable with that. And it seems I'm not the only one in my congregation who has done the same thing.

Sorry to ask, what is you age?

Jw library Data back works across platforms (iOS, android and windows) so this make me happy 😃

I’ve been using WTL since like 2007 when my grandma gave me the CD-Rom and told me to install it on my PC. At that time we didn’t have internet access so I relied on WTL very much and still heavy use it. 

Edited by Luigi62

I still rely on the "search" in WTL.  I especially like being able to use the "Publications Index" especially for the years form 1930 to 1985.  I have the older pubs in PDF format so the search shows me the book or mag to use.  As an example I just searched the word WIDOW (thinking of Zarephath or Sunem).

I found an article in the 1936 Watchtower on page 231.  I opened my Watchtowers, located the needed copy and went to page 231.  I used PDF's FIND feature to locate the word.

Not really doable in the WOL at present.

widow.JPG

widow2.JPG

My favourite feature of WTL is the picture descriptions are in more details.

All the article say is:

[Picture on page 4]
Invite your Bible student to attend the meetings (See paragraph 13)

WTL Says:

"A Brother with his Bible student at the Kingdom Hall, explaining what happens at the christian Meetings"

This feature in ONLY on WTL.

WTL Pic.png

2 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

This actually also exists in WOL and jw.org too. But the feature is simply hidden. Right click on the picture from the site and choose “inspect element” from the list.

I am not sure if this is doable in JWL.

image.png.aa55db12efe1c2c9050f7cba65d2775b.png

image.png.252ad9a8e53ec93b1c901f4eefa20b0f.png

2 hours ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

This actually also exists in WOL and jw.org too. But the feature is simply hidden. Right click on the picture from the site and choose “inspect element” from the list.

I am not sure if this is doable in JWL.

image.png.aa55db12efe1c2c9050f7cba65d2775b.png

image.png.252ad9a8e53ec93b1c901f4eefa20b0f.png

Cool thanks bro. 

14 hours ago, Leon J said:

being able to open multiple instances of the app would be nice.  

You can do that --> Check here

7 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

All the article say is:

[Picture on page 4]
Invite your Bible student to attend the meetings (See paragraph 13)

WTL Says:

"A Brother with his Bible student at the Kingdom Hall, explaining what happens at the christian Meetings"

This feature in ONLY on WTL.

As explained in the post above you can do that also in WOL

In android it's even simpler, you just press and hold on the image and the description appears

Edited by jayrtom

I certainly think it will be a period of learning and adjustment, but I see the benefit to it. Rather than having several different resources open, all study can be done in one place. 

Admittedly it means I may have to buy a new tablet, as the app is often slow on our older iPad, but on my mobile it's perfect. 

I imagine the brothers have got a list of features that need improvement, and will no doubt deliver those improvements - sometimes we just have to grin and bear it through adjustments! 

If they can create a "tab" system or enhanced "selective history" to make it easier to flit between a few different resources that would be really useful. That way having the insight book along with meeting material and perhaps an additional reference open within the app at the same time would be possible. 

Just my thoughts but, as always, whatever direction is given is ours to follow! 

In case anyone doesn't understand, they will stop updating WTL, but you will still be able to install the .iso/DVD on PCs and reference all of the publications that it contains.. it's not like the program and it's files will suddenly poof from existence. So download the iso and updates now, put them on a USB stick or two if you're worried. Always try and learn the new features, but feel free to use whatever is best for your 'workflow'. https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/install-watchtower-library/

21 hours ago, Old said:

Does JW Library function well on your PC? It is so slow as to almost useless on mine. 

I don't recall if I've asked, but what year, processor, ram, windows version is your PC? (Win 10 -> Settings -> System -> About OR Right-Click This PC -> Properties)
Does it have a solid state hard drive? JWL was designed first for mobile, which are all based on flash storage, so mechanical storage on a PC is bunk.

Edited by Myew

I do not have SSD and my PC is older with only 4G RAM 

My JWL may not be "instant" but it runs just fine on my PC even with "mechanical storage" and I would not describe it as "bunk"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I concede, it's still possible for JWL to be totally functional on an older hard drive. It's only when comparing it to a good phone or a modern PC (or WTL), it will feel relatively very slow, not fluid or snappy... and my problem is that I get very easily and quickly distracted during any wait. I recently refurbished our KH's library PC with some 2009 parts and Windows 10, along with a spare Vista era laptop for Letter Writing. They're.. begrudgingly tolerable once I get rid of most of the overhead. 😸

Edited by Myew

38 minutes ago, Myew said:

In case anyone doesn't understand, they will stop updating WTL, but you will still be able to install the .iso/DVD on PCs and reference all of the publications that it contains.. it's not like the program and it's files will suddenly poof from existence. So download the iso and updates now, put them on a USB stick or two if you're worried. Always try and learn the new features, but feel free to use whatever is best for your 'workflow'. https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/install-watchtower-library/

I don't recall if I've asked, but what year, processor, ram, windows version is your PC? (Win 10 -> Settings -> System -> About OR Right-Click This PC -> Properties)
Does it have a solid state hard drive? JWL was designed first for mobile, which are all based on flash storage, so mechanical storage on a PC is bunk.

But WOL will be poof, gone from existence. 

I’m guessing this will be discussed (how and when WOL and WTL be fazed out) further at the 2020 annual meeting in October, this will be the non scriptural talk. :lol1:

Edited by Luigi62

WTL will not just stop working one day but the brothers will stop supporting it and their will be no more updates. So I will still use it to do personal research. 

Until you discover that the brothers were right all along, and you find the benefits that they have already seen.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I am assuming that like tv.jw.org, they will set wol.jw.org to redirect to a tab with equivalent features on the main jw.org page. I like them separate personally, but ho hum. :shrugs: I'll just have to change my browser home page.

Are there any features from tv.jw.org that you are missing in jw.org? (Except for perhaps the dark background...)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The ability to open up the videos with a very short and memorable address, without waiting for 15 seconds for a redirect that should be instant or having to click through extra pages and scroll really far down the page to see the categories. Dark mode was nice. Some of the videos on JW.org don't have captions, but I don't recall if that was any different before. Still, it's not the features that matter to me, I just prefer having a GUI that is focused and streamlined for one purpose only, looking through the video categories to find the video that I'm looking for quickly before I get lost and forget what I was searching for.

The ability to open up the videos with a very short and memorable address, without waiting for 15 seconds for a redirect that should be instant or having to click through extra pages and scroll really far down the page to see the categories. Dark mode was nice. Some of the videos on JW.org don't have captions, but I don't recall if that was any different before. Still, it's not the features that matter to me, I just prefer having a GUI that is focused and streamlined for one purpose only, looking through the video categories to find the video that I'm looking for quickly before I get lost and forget what I was searching for.

My impression is that the video categories are slightly higher up than they used to be?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Until you discover that the brothers were right all along, and you find the benefits that they have already seen.

I know for a fact, that video production will increase, therefore a lot of teaching, examples, Bible Principles will be transmitted not only via text, but also via visual aids. (as we currently see that)

Perhaps  those new improvements WTL are trying to accommodate those changes. 

Brothers know what they are doing, especially keeping the future in mind.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)