JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

You can make an experiment of looking into how much space is jwl using on your device before and after downloading a couple of recent watchtowers

even if it's 2gb in total after all publications are loaded (btw I won't download every publication since 1950 or even 1970) it isn't that much space for any smartphone that supports JWL (any phone which has less than 8gb by default will stuggle to run jwl even if there's no pubs downloaded)

At this moment the publications can't be downloaded to an sd card but I believe that will change

I have great expectations for this change :)

The size I gave is for the publications folder, not the whole program with all the libraries.

That point you mention ("I won't download every publication since 1950 or even 1970") is exactly what I meant. It doesn't make sense to download all those publications to your phone, but when you wish to research something you will want to see all the existing publications about the subject. But you can only see them if you have downloaded them. Right now that's easy to do by using WOL, that's why I don't think it will be done with. I guess it will only be integrated in JW.org. :)

Anyway, if JWL is endowed with the same search capabilities as WTL has, and publications can be saved to the SD card, those would be huge improvements.

15 hours ago, Ferb said:

starting it up always makes my disk activity go up to 100% and stay there until I switch it off

It sounds like it's trying to update? On a really slow system, I've seen it take over an hour to apply a complete update package.

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

The picture material (Media Gallery) is included with 1st and 2nd Corinthians as well.

Turns out I had forgotten to update it on my desktop since the previous manual update package when I turned off automatic updates, whoops. 😅 Though I have and applied the most recent manual update on my laptop and KH PCs. And then there's still another 600MB download update after that.. I really miss 100Mbps internet.

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

any phone which has less than 8gb by default will stuggle to run jwl even if there's no pubs downloaded

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here in the US there are very few if any new devices shipping with 8GB for several years. Almost everything at the lowest end (~$50) has at least 16GB, and everything $50+ is likely 32GB. I really do not recommend buying the lowest end device if possible. The cheapest recommended standard for JWL on Android here is the 16GB 7" Fire Tablet when it goes on sale for ~$25 on Amazon Prime Day / Black Friday. https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-7/dp/B07FKR6KXF/

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Here is my 1993 version.  This was two years before Windows 95.  This version ran on Microsoft DOS...😎

IMG_0922.JPG

Wiw, I didn't even know that existed! First time I heard about the cdrom was in 1997 - Prior to that there were disquettes with the bible, and insight, on separate packages - At least in Portugal

13 hours ago, jwhess said:

Here is my 1993 version.  This was two years before Windows 95.  This version ran on Microsoft DOS...😎

Actually it only ever ran in Windows. But you're right; DOS was always under Windows in those days. What was it again? I remember DOS 6.2, and Windows 3.1. Isn't that what was current in those days? (...the stone age of technology...)

9 hours ago, jayrtom said:

. . . Prior to that there were disquettes with the bible, and insight, on separate packages - At least in Portugal

I remember those too! They ran in DOS. I think it was using something called Folio as a basis for it, and it had the Bible and Insight. (...prior to stone age...)

We've come a long way.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, carlos said:

I don't think WOL will disappear, I think it will just be integrated on JW.org.

JW Library doesn't have by far the search possibilities that WTL and WOL offer. That would be like going back to the printed publications and the Index. It doesn't make sense that they will be removed without providing an alternative and I don't think that will happen. Besides, not everybody has storage capacity in their devices to download all the publications in JWL.

There in no Index in JW Library; only the Research Guide. For that reason I never thought of JW Library as being a research utility. Perhaps it was because of space. If the Indexes were in there, all the publications that are referenced therein would have to be included in JW Library. A friend of mine mentioned the lack of sufficient space on his phone to include all that.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, carlos said:

The size I gave is for the publications folder, not the whole program with all the libraries.

That point you mention ("I won't download every publication since 1950 or even 1970") is exactly what I meant. It doesn't make sense to download all those publications to your phone, but when you wish to research something you will want to see all the existing publications about the subject. But you can only see them if you have downloaded them. Right now that's easy to do by using WOL, that's why I don't think it will be done with. I guess it will only be integrated in JW.org. :)

Anyway, if JWL is endowed with the same search capabilities as WTL has, and publications can be saved to the SD card, those would be huge improvements.

My Watchtower Library is also 4.99 GB, and 2.86GB for the French version. If the Indexes were to be included in JW Library, but not the publications that are referenced in them, it still wouldn't be much of a research tool. How about being able to download a publication in the Index "on the fly"? That could only be done with a phone, providing you're not in an underground bunker or in the subway (or, metro) that has no Internet access. The same would be true of tablets, which I don't think have Internet access unless you're near a Wi-fi.

A remake of JW Library would require a lot of changes and evolutions to make it practical enough to replace WT Library or WOL.

27 minutes ago, Sheep said:

P.S.: I wish one of the moderators would correct the spelling of the title of this topic. It should be "phased out."

Just an observation...

Or it could be “WTL AND WOL TO BE NO MORE”

37 minutes ago, Sheep said:

There in no Index in JW Library; only the Research Guide. For that reason I never thought of JW Library as being a research utility. Perhaps it was because of space. If the Indexes were in there, all the publications that are referenced therein would have to be included in JW Library. A friend of mine mentioned the lack of sufficient space on his phone to include all that.

My Watchtower Library is also 4.99 GB, and 2.86GB for the French version. If the Indexes were to be included in JW Library, but not the publications that are referenced in them, it still wouldn't be much of a research tool. How about being able to download a publication in the Index "on the fly"? That could only be done with a phone, providing you're not in an underground bunker or in the subway (or, metro) that has no Internet access. The same would be true of tablets, which I don't think have Internet access unless you're near a Wi-fi.

A remake of JW Library would require a lot of changes and evolutions to make it practical enough to replace WT Library or WOL.

Actually I don't see it that way. JWL has a lot of potential. we shouldn't forget that WTL as an application has no updates for a very long time (the interface not the data). Offcourse it's hard to have the time to work on several programs, hence the unification. Both android, iOS and win10 are modern operating systems with more potential than win95, the basis for the wtl

wol is web based but that is a disadvantage per si

if this announcement was made its because there's a big update coming out. I'm sure the brothers wouldn't make a change for worse... it's always for the better even if we can't see it at first

5 hours ago, Sheep said:

What i don't like about JWL is that the references from the Gospel accounts only shows 'Jesus - the way' Of the chapter of the book for the current week. Compared to WTL.

Mark Ref JWL.png

Mark Ref WTL.png

6 hours ago, Sheep said:

Actually it only ever ran in Windows. But you're right; DOS was always under Windows in those days. What was it again? I remember DOS 6.2, and Windows 3.1. Isn't that what was current in those days? (...the stone age of technology...)

I remember those too! They ran in DOS. I think it was using something called Folio as a basis for it, and it had the Bible and Insight. (...prior to stone age...)

We've come a long way.

I ran mine in Dos 5.0 (mostly). I didn't like Windows (but I paired Dos with Win 3.1)

I remember the announcement that everyone would have to use Windows 95 to get the Library to run.  So I adapted...

Side point:  Dos was first (I had a version in the "1" series but I began with Dos 2.0.  Windows started with an early series that was based on the Dos system and was laid over top to give it a GUI type of operation but Dos had to boot first.  It became a little more popular after Win 3.0.  (even win 95 was Dos based but finally they let go and just went as a total system and left the Dos behind.

You can tell the Dos was underneath because you could still use the config boot adjustments and implement memory saving tricks prior to the boot (move the mouse driver to memory higher than the Dos limit of 640 MB. and so on)..AH the memories...😎

6 hours ago, Sheep said:

P.S.: I wish one of the moderators would correct the spelling of the title of this topic. It should be "phased out."

Just an observation...

We saw it... :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Wiw, I didn't even know that existed! First time I heard about the cdrom was in 1997 - Prior to that there were disquettes with the bible, and insight, on separate packages - At least in Portugal

Here are my Folio disks.  I have 3 sets (one set is unopened ind sealed in plastic).  These are dated 1991 and copyrighted by "Folio"  with print copyrights showing 1984 and 1988 for the Bible and Insight book).

I also show the 30 disks used to load the Qsearch program that was very popular and had much more material available and easy to use.

These were DOS based as well.  I used this material with DOS 3.2 thru DOS 5.0

folio.jpg

Here are my Folio disks.  I have 3 sets (one set is unopened ind sealed in plastic).  These are dated 1991 and copyrighted by "Folio"  with print copyrights showing 1984 and 1988 for the Bible and Insight book).

I also show the 30 disks used to load the Qsearch program that was very popular and had much more material available and easy to use.

folio.thumb.jpg.cd707de870e4f76aa69bbd94ed7d9941.jpg

Wow those disks bring back memories.

At the time we thought it was so amazing to have so much information on so few disks.

A simpler time - I miss those days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What i don't like about JWL is that the references from the Gospel accounts only shows 'Jesus - the way' Of the chapter of the book for the current week. Compared to WTL.
458928575_MarkRefJWL.png.c182865b97eeda786246ecdbd0669faa.png
429376478_MarkRefWTL.png.9ab2b818036903fa61d27686202a0b3d.png

They just said that WOL and WTL will be phased out, not Index. You will have access to a digital Index to assist you in your study. I am sure you will love the solution they are planning. Remember this, most people today do not use a regular computer to a very large degree. Most use their phones or tablets, even smart watches. So, focusing on platforms that can and will be used even in the future makes sense. For the very same reason, you can access our material via smart tv boxes, such as AppleTV, or personal assistants, such as Alexa. People have them in their homes and use them, so why not?

The reference guide that you are comparing to index was produced to show quickly the truth as we understand it today from our latest publications, even in languages with very few publications available, not everything that has been written about a subject. But we might even see an upcoming merge where you can easily see what references in Index are outdated and purely historical.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

19 hours ago, jwhess said:

folio.jpg

Pro tip:

If they keep falling over on your bookshelf, use a couple of chunky neodymium magnets as bookends

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

23 hours ago, jwhess said:

I ran mine in Dos 5.0 (mostly). I didn't like Windows (but I paired Dos with Win 3.1)

I remember the announcement that everyone would have to use Windows 95 to get the Library to run.  So I adapted...

. . .

Hhmm. I don't remember Watchtower Library ever running on DOS. In my recollection it has always been a Windows-based utility. However, the furthest back that I had an IBM compatible "clone" computer was in 1994. It ran Windows 3.1, and I had Watchtower Library on it.

(Before that I still had a Commodore 64... )

On 3/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, Cheeks said:

I cannot find any reference to this.  Can someone post the link from the website?

Here you go: https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/pub-mwbv_202003_4_VIDEO

you can find that link by going to this month's mwb, week of March 30.  The words "organizational accomplishments" are hyperlinked

On 3/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, jwhess said:

I like being able to use the "Publications Index" especially for the years 1930 to 1985.

That is, in fact, available online and has been for some years: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp-e/all-publications/publications-index/index-1930-1985

I found an article in the 1936 Watchtower on page 231... I used PDF's FIND feature to locate the word...

Not really doable in the WOL at present.

Reading the full text of the 1930s' watchtowers is not even 'doable' from the cd rom WTL, and never has been! 🙃

As you mentioned, you have a PDF of old watchtower archives which you obtained from some place on the internet; it isn't an official PDF, so surely you don't expect to see it on our website?