JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL & WTL to be phased out.

I think you should understand that because tv.jw.org is now down, none of us can go and confirm this feature anymore. So you will just have to take my word for it. In tv.jw.org, there was a "streaming" section which broadcasted all kinds of different video categories. They were set up like in an actual TV broadcasting sessions. They did not start when you clicked "stream." Instead, there were a predetermined Broadcasting schedule that the system will stick by and let it play through randomly. It had the feeling of watching an actual TV Broadcasting. I specifically remember in the What's New update post, it mentioned that this feature was disabled during the integration to JW.ORG.

About the JW Library, I'll have to make a correction. When I posted that commented, I was yet to update my JWL. After browsing the forum I was notified that the JWL was updated on Android. When I updated, the option to stream audio/video that are not downloaded were presented. This would have been added newly in the Android version this early April, as the patch Note explicitly states that the Android version got this feature now. But this seems to have been updated already for a while in iOS/Windows.

I know that tv.jw.org had channels. In reality, you just connected to a stream where the server shuffled particular categories for you. It looked like it followed a schedule, and in a way, it did. The schedule was automatic.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I know that tv.jw.org had channels. In reality, you just connected to a stream where the server shuffled particular categories for you. It looked like it followed a schedule, and in a way, it did. The schedule was automatic.

Yes, of course. It wasn’t planned by someone, I know that. It would have been all automated. But still it’s different from the current video shuffle.

Yes, of course. It wasn’t planned by someone, I know that. It would have been all automated. But still it’s different from the current video shuffle.

What is different is that with the channels, it was a server doing the shuffling. Now it is your machine doing it. The schedule was kind of cute, but honestly, people watching television over the Internet are not looking for linear, scheduled television anyway. Nobody would sit down at 6:03 am to watch a particular broadcast. And if a feature isn’t very useful, it will eventually be done away with.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I have an Apple iPad Pro, and never experiences issues with streaming. Is it something with your network, perhaps?

This has been my theory too. But, when I’ve had issues, other streaming services still functioned: Spotify, YouTube, google play music, etc 

I just went to where connection is worst in my house and I have to say the streaming is working great on my iPad. No music downloads on this device. 

I have an Apple iPad Pro, and never experiences issues with streaming. Is it something with your network, perhaps?

This has been my theory too. But, when I’ve had issues, other streaming services still functioned: Spotify, YouTube, google play music, etc 

I just went to where connection is worst in my house and I have to say the streaming is working great on my iPad. No music downloads on this device. 

Just now, 1MKnight said:

Very interesting

Very interesting

very interesting 

Does does it sometimes duplicate messages?  :whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

Very interesting

Very interesting

very interesting 

Haha. I thought that might happen. It didn’t post when I pressed out the first tube, not the second. Only after the third non-posting-button-press did I realize what I had done. 

11 minutes ago, Old said:

I think it's TRIPLICATE! :dance:

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 7 months later...
57 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I think they will hold onto WTL until they get the search feature migrated over. The DVD Library has a good search program.

I wish many things to be implemented on jw.org before WOL is taken down:

1. The extensive search feature, (that includes being able to look up bible and publication quotes by typing their abbreviations,)

2. Many older programs available on line without needing to be downloaded,

3. Quickly being able to look up the daily scriptures and this week’s meeting schedules, (just like the current WOL does, the jw.org doesn’t support this,)

4. And of course, no more needing to load every time I click on a Scripture quotes. (Right now, whenever you click on a Scripture quotation on jw.org, it gives you a loading time. This doesn’t happen in WOL.)

Edited by Hinata

9 hours ago, Hinata said:

I hope the JWL app has all the features implemented before the GT starts and our internet access is shut down. 😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, campanula said:

I sincerely hope we will have our own JW satellite before internet is shut down.

Don’t worry, we can always attach few antennas to the angel flying in mid heaven LOL :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Don’t worry, we can always attach few antennas to the angel flying in mid heaven LOL default_whistle.gif

Alphabet's project 'Loon' with its helium filled ballon internet is no match for an angel with an antenna!

https://loon.com/

Old (Downunder) Tone

On 11/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, Hinata said:

1. The extensive search feature, (that includes being able to look up bible and publication quotes by typing their abbreviations,)

2. Many older programs available on line without needing to be downloaded,

3. Quickly being able to look up the daily scriptures and this week’s meeting schedules, (just like the current WOL does, the jw.org doesn’t support this,)

4. And of course, no more needing to load every time I click on a Scripture quotes. (Right now, whenever you click on a Scripture quotation on jw.org, it gives you a loading time. This doesn’t happen in WOL.)

I agree with all of the above. Watchtower Library (and WOL) still leaves JW Library in the dust with regards to research. JW Library still doesn't have the Indexes. IMO, the Research Guide, although helpful in some instances, just doesn't compare to the Indexes.

However, I'm wondering: If they ever include the Indexes in JW Library, would that mean that all the publications referenced therein be included too like they are in WTLIB and WOL? I'm not sure what they have in mind for those. If they're not going to be included, I wonder if that will mean the end of the Indexes. (?)

I agree with all of the above. Watchtower Library (and WOL) still leaves JW Library in the dust with regards to research. JW Library still doesn't have the Indexes. IMO, the Research Guide, although helpful in some instances, just doesn't compare to the Indexes.

However, I'm wondering: If they ever include the Indexes in JW Library, would that mean that all the publications referenced therein be included too like they are in WTLIB and WOL? I'm not sure what they have in mind for those. If they're not going to be included, I wonder if that will mean the end of the Indexes. (?)

Not all publications referenced in Index is available in WTL or WOL. What publications are available in the WTL but not JWLIBRARY?

I am certain a universal search feature is on the horizon. Until then, the search feature on JW.org includes material not found in WTL even.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

21 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

What publications are available in the WTL but not JWLIBRARY?

I meant to say that the publications are available, as in, "built-in" to the program. That is, not having to be downloaded first. WTLIB has, for example, the Watchtower of, let's say, November 15, 1992. JWLIB does not.

Here's an example: You're doing research on Hebrews 11:26, so you look it up in the Index 1986-2021, or in the Research Guide. There's a reference to that verse leading you to "w92 11/15 30". You can't read it in JWLIB unless you download the magazine first. WTLIB already has it ready for your perusal.

Edited by Sheep

Here is a comparison of a search command for the word NOAH.  The first two pictures are JW Library (with 20 references).  It shows results from Insight books and Magazines.  The third picture is from the Watchtower Library from DVD.  It shows 7440 references from every kind of publication we have including tracts).

Noah 1.JPG

Noah 2.JPG

Noah 3.JPG

Here is a comparison of a search command for the word NOAH.  The first two pictures are JW Library (with 20 references).  It shows results from Insight books and Magazines.  The third picture is from the Watchtower Library from DVD.  It shows 7440 references from every kind of publication we have including tracts).

696057248_Noah1.JPG.ab1203c0a66cd83d60c5066b62b6dd72.JPG
2138733907_Noah2.JPG.5cfebcab1926be2f9f7d116ffb1bfac4.JPG
1969713791_Noah3.JPG.875b493e0a3d0236260b34a24c2c0db3.JPG

Since we don’t have the Watchtower Library on Apple tablets, what will we do, those of us that use Apple products? Please correct me if I understood it wrong!

Thx
Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

3 minutes ago, walkr2 said:

Since we don’t have the Watchtower Library on Apple tablets, what will we do, those of us that use Apple products? Please correct me if I understood it wrong!

Doesn't JW Library run on Apple?

I don't have anything Apple, so I don't know. Please correct me if I understood it wrong!