JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Free Streaming App for Meetings

We receive the following suggestion from our branch. (Argentina)

Present the programs by videoconference. The elderls could use tools to organize online conferences such as Zoom or Skype. Thus, the brothers will be able to see, comment and present the assignments from home, what that will allow them to encourage each other.e

So, with my BOE  and some friend from other cogregations we are searchig free programs to do that (Zoom have time limit-meeting  for free and we can't pay right now). Anyone have a sugestion please ? thanks!

Edited by Jf800

Brother, to get around the 40 minute time constraint on Zoom just have the Administrator sign up for Zoom Pro.  It's $14 a month but he is the only one that needs to subscribe as long as he is always the one that initiates the conference.  We are doing that.  We have a dry run tomorrow night and then our first meeting Thursday night.  As Elders we checked it out yesterday with 10 of us on at once and it worked really well.  Everyone will keep their assignment, they will just do it from home.  It actually looks like it will be fun.... at least for awhile.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

3 hours ago, Jf800 said:

We receive the following suggestion from our branch. (Argentina)

Present the programs by videoconference. The elderls could use tools to organize online conferences such as Zoom or Skype. Thus, the brothers will be able to see, comment and present the assignments from home, what that will allow them to encourage each other.e

So, with my BOE  and some friend from other cogregations we are searchig free programs to do that (Zoom have time limit-meeting  for free and we can't pay right now). Anyone have a sugestion please ? thanks!

For the time being ZOOM has wave the time limit for the free version

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, Old said:

For the time being ZOOM has wave the time limit for the free version

Jerry, that is not worldwide. They have removed the limit in the US, China and Japan, but so far not in the rest of the world.

I had a Zoom chat with several friends last night here in Madrid and it would kick us off after 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

Jerry, that is not worldwide. They have removed the limit in the US, China and Japan, but so far not in the rest of the world.

I had a Zoom chat with several friends last night here in Madrid and it would kick us off after 40 minutes.

Thanks for this information.  Here in the Dominican Republic I have been assigned to figure out the best solution for our circuit.

I was leaning towards Zoom because of the more advanced options.  But if Zoom free will kick us out after 40 minutes I guess now will go with Jitsi Meet.

@carlos  Will you in Madrid then pay for Zoom Pro?  Or go with another option?

4 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Thanks for this information.  Here in the Dominican Republic I have been assigned to figure out the best solution for our circuit.

I was leaning towards Zoom because of the more advanced options.  But if Zoom free will kick us out after 40 minutes I guess now will go with Jitsi Meet.

@carlos  Will you in Madrid then pay for Zoom Pro?  Or go with another option?

I believe that if the orignator of the broadcast pays for a membership all others joining with the free app can stay on line indefinetly.

Perhaps someone could confirm this.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

KHOC decided to pay for one Zoom account per each congregation.

It’s a no brainer considering the Halls used to pay for the tie line, use these funds.

In the US, I believe it’s only schools that Zoom waived the time limit.

Edited by Jmystro

47 minutes ago, Jmystro said:

KHOC decided to pay for one Zoom account per each congregation.

Can more than 1 congregation use the account if their meetings were at different time?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

29 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Can more than 1 congregation use the account if their meetings were at different time?

Not sure. They would have to use same sign in credentials, which is probably tied to one computer.

If done at hall - probably no problem. Each meeting has a different ID for those tying in.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

15 hours ago, jwhess said:

there is the need for an "administrator" on zoom.  I don't know if that brother would want to administer multiple meeting.

Technically they can share the account, host has to give up the log in information and make sure they use it at different times.

Highly recommend their own account for $14.99

Think about it this way ... since we are not using our Halls, the cost of electric and/or other utilities should be much lower until we can meet back in them. It would seem to me that each Congregation would save at least $15 a month in operating expenses during these meeting restrictions

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Think about it this way ... since we are not using our Halls, the cost of electric and/or other utilities should be much lower until we can meet back in them. It would seem to me that each Congregation would save at least $15 a month in operating expenses during these meeting restrictions

Somewhat related: Since the majority of us aren't able to attend meetings at the KH and if we are acustomed to placing our contribution in the box. we might we might want to investgate how we can contribute using JW.OR/donations. It works for local and world wide needs.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:15 PM, Old said:

believe that if the orignator of the broadcast pays for a membership all others joining with the free app can stay on line indefinetly.

Perhaps someone could confirm this.

For the pro account 24 hrs is the max time for a zoom cast...

Theoretically multiple congregations could use the one account.., but it doesn’t make sense.

We have 3 different languages in our congregation ... we use it for conference calls between elders .. we are using it for shepherding...  I have no desire to schedule time for multiple congregations when the service is so cheap. 
It is easy for elders who are in different locations to be co-hosts .. so if everyone had to stay home we can still have meetings...

The free account max time is 40 min .. it has been years since I have been in a 40 min elders meeting except one congregation I was in ..and there were only two elders... worlds shortest elders meetings..😎😇

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

We just had our first "Zoom Meeting" tonight and it was...... AWESOME!  Attendance of 136.  The meeting just just the same as at our KH but it was on live from everyone's home. 

6 minutes ago, dozerman5676 said:

We just had our first "Zoom Meeting" tonight and it was...... AWESOME!  Attendance of 136.  The meeting just just the same as at our KH but it was on live from everyone's home. 

We have our first Zoom meeting scheduled for Saturday 10:00 AM, our normal meeting time. I'm excited!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Not everyone had their camera on and some could only listen in but I'd guess about 2/3 had their camera on.  With the Gems, the friends with their camera on could raise their hand and get called on to answer.  Again, it was history making.... I'm a 4 generation Witness and I've never seen anything like this.  ALL the credit goes to Jehovah.  He WILL NOT leave us unfed physically OR spiritually.