JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

16 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

In our zoom meeting tonight, I noticed the use of the "Spotlight Multiple speakers" feature to show the 2 speakers in the zoom "Active speakers view" for a field service presentation. Seems good to be able to see both speakers simultaneously in zoom.

Does anyone know when this feature was made available in zoom?

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653-Spotlight-Video

I have been doing this for the initial call, return visit and Bible study for almost 3 weeks. Some notice while others can't see the dual spotlight feature. The people I ask who have Apple  Android and windows devices and many say they can't see it. The few who did have windows 10 devices. I wonder if all could see it soon 

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

13 minutes ago, AH173 said:

I have been doing this for the initial call, return visit and Bible study for almost 3 weeks. Some notice while others can't see the dual spotlight feature. The people I ask who have Apple  Android and windows devices and many say they can't see it. The few who did have windows 10 devices. I wonder if all could see it soon 

I guess I will have to ask about this:

• Note: Spotlighting multiple videos requires desktop client version 5.2.2 on Windows or macOS

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

suddenly less useful...

At present maybe, maybe future beneficial. 

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

suddenly less useful...

I guess spotlighting is less useful on the small mobile phone screen.

I find it a useful feature on the large screen windows and macos desktops.

Its good that in a 2 person dialogue, you can see the physical reaction or facial expression of the other party who is not currently speaking.

You cannot manage Zoom breakout rooms with an iPad... I have a paid account and the only way I can manage them is with my PC as a host.. unless they put in a new function in the last few days 

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

has anyone got the breakout rooms to work  with the "free" version of Zoom?  On an Ipad?

by “[get them] to work” do you mean join them? because I did on an ipad. or maybe it was my iphone. but i haven’t had any issues using zoom lately on a (very old) ipad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

by “[get them] to work” do you mean join them? because I did on an ipad. or maybe it was my iphone. but i haven’t had any issues using zoom lately on a (very old) ipad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, we can join the rooms OK.  Our Circuit Overseer wants all the elders who conduct meeting for field service to arrange "car-groups" by putting the publishers into breakout rooms (4-6 at a time).  Some of the elders were using their Ipads for the Field Service Meetings and could not figure out how to make (create or open-up) the rooms.  I do it on my PC with Windows by using the icon control at the bottom of the screen and then the "create" box opens up.  It appears that there is no such option on the Ipad.

br1.JPG

br2.JPG

If you are hosting a Zoom meeting - the "Breakout Rooms" is an "extra option" that must be purchased. As far as I understand, it is not available in the free version.

If you are just "joining" a breakout room - you should receive a "request to join" from the host.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

50 minutes ago, Qapla said:

If you are hosting a Zoom meeting - the "Breakout Rooms" is an "extra option" that must be purchased. As far as I understand, it is not available in the free version.

If you are just "joining" a breakout room - you should receive a "request to join" from the host.

I have purchased the Zoom program (app) on a yearly subscription.  I have the same Zoom account on all my devices.  I can see and create "breakout rooms"  on my PC with Windows 10 but no such option shows on any of my IOS14 Ipads or Iphones.  This is the paid version (just updated yesterday to 5.3.1).  I can join a breakout room created by a host but I cannot create one on my Ipad (only on my PC desktop computer or my Windows laptop)

As noted in the screenshots I attached in my last post, I have the option to create a breakout room on my PC but the same account and same version do not show any such option in Apple.  Joining is easy, creating is difficult across all my devices.

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have purchased the Zoom program (app) on a yearly subscription.  I have the same Zoom account on all my devices.  I can see and create "breakout rooms"  on my PC with Windows 10 but no such option shows on any of my IOS14 Ipads or Iphones.  This is the paid version (just updated yesterday to 5.3.1).  I can join a breakout room created by a host but I cannot create one on my Ipad (only on my PC desktop computer or my Windows laptop)

As noted in the screenshots I attached in my last post, I have the option to create a breakout room on my PC but the same account and same version do not show any such option in Apple.  Joining is easy, creating is difficult across all my devices.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206476313#h_1660846b-7d2d-4a87-b8a6-efe29a61759a

image.png.2badab5cd1447b2deee476c960a63250.png

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Feel for you on that as it really sucks up time that could be spent elsewhere more productive. One of the reasons I am firmly in the Android ecosystem, the function probably requires some permissions and rights that Apple is not willing to give, just a guess. I always compare Apple devices to a walled garden beautiful and gorgeous to look at but you can't work in it.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Thanks to all who responded.  I use Windows on my Zoom as host.  I can create breakout rooms very well.  It is just that some of the elders in my congregation are stuck on using an Ipad as their base for operating Zoom.  Since we were encouraged last week to use breakout rooms, there has been a scramble to try to find a "work-around" to get the Ipads to allow those hosts to create a room.  It does not appear to be readily available for those Apple products.  I am sure those elders have Windows Laptops or PC desktops that they could use.  It was just easier for them to grab their tablets and sit at the kitchen table and host a Field Service Group.  

I am not going to worry about it any more.  thanks again.

One of the reasons I am advocating the usage of Windows devices are the extra features they provide and it may sway your servant body to do the same. Besides what you already mentioned here are three other advantages that I use in highlighting the Windows platform. First on both my PC and laptop I have 49 participants in Gallery view per page, 2nd we used the new feature of the video from multiple participants being spotted for the Initial Call, Return Visit and Bible Study. This did not show up as active speakers side by side on my Android tablet and phone. Finally when sharing the screen during the meetings for videos, songs and images, to stop screen sharing is done in a fraction of a second by pressing Alt+S on the keyboard. You can't do that with a virtual keyboard as that would interfere with the screen share, a Bluetooth connect keyboard to an iPad will work, but then you might as well use a Windows laptop.

I wish you all the best to correct the errors between keyboard and chair 🤣

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas

I heard that somewhere in Europe, some people were complaining that JW meetings were using up all the bandwidth in the community.  I don't know about this stuff, could it be true that multiple people connecting to ZOOM during our large meetings is an issue? I said, but everyone is using Internet at home, but they replied the issue was us doing it in a large group on the same ZOOM mtg at the same time. ?

23 hours ago, jwhess said:

John

What others have alluded to but not actually said....is that IPhone and IPad are considered mobile devices and not all features work with the mobile version of the app - regardless of IOS - Android -Windows

the product is designed to be run by a host with FULL PC - Laptop Desktop etc

most appointed brothers in the US have access to Laptops and desktops and the product should work fine for the brother acting as HOST

(as you have seen when you are HOST)

Since these brothers are also responsible for the meeting they should have the equipment and practice hosting or co-hosting the meeting 

( i realize there are technophobes and those very old who struggle) but as BOE multiple brothers should have experience.

one cong relied on a single brother for all the meetings - when his machine broke they missed the meeting......

Almost all kids who play online games on a PC have a machine that is very capable - so we have even leveraged a few of them to work with their fathers ( who are Elders / MS / responsible brothers) so we have multiple folks who can host. - off the kids gaming PC if necessary

In our area we have crazy weather - so if its pouring and thundering on one side of town we make sure a backup on the other side of town is ready and able to assume the meeting responsibilities in case the power/internet goes out

that being said many friends are limited and can only use - or figure out how to connect with a Mobile device....

that works fine for joining an existing meeting.......

they still struggle with Camera and all the bits and bobbles we have seen over the months

however those with added responsibilities need to invest the time to learn it - most of our brothers on Sound Console and such have done so — our MS over Sound even mad a video and showed everyone the basics.....

we have practiced with a few over the weekend to get them up to speed

now we have about 15 individuals that can run the Organizer / Host / Co-Host assignments for a meeting

5 minutes ago, DarinS said:

In our area we have crazy weather - so if its pouring and thundering on one side of town we make sure a backup on the other side of town is ready and able to assume the meeting responsibilities in case the power/internet goes out

We had storm alerts and weather warnings for one of our midweek meetings ans switched the hosting to my setup since I run all my equipment on an UPS that powers the switches, routers, my PC plus NASs for 45 minutes before sending out a signal for an orderly shutdown to be initiated in 10 minutes. An UPS has become a must have im my home since I hate interruptions and any power outage in my area usually does not last longer than 15 minutes. In this case the assigned host sure enough lost power but because we switched no impact on the meeting.

No effort = No bananas