JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Tyler, it is interesting that in the list of 16 sections, the first one after the introduction is the discussion on the internet connection.  Recommendation?...use a hard wired internet connection (or if you have to use wifi, you should test for good connection and through-put including audio and video).

There has been similar advice offered in other threads on this forum.

2 hours ago, TylerD said:

It is! Using a wired Internet connection is indeed the best. My speed test agrees too! 😀

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Using a PC that is not "overburdened" by Zoom is also a great help.

I just built a new PC. I have it side-by-side with my old one. It is like "night & day" how they work for Zoom. 

While much of the Zoom problems can be caused by slow Internet - others are caused by under performing PC's being "pushed to the limits".

I have been stating some of these points since the end of April this year.

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

Using a PC that is not "overburdened" by Zoom is also a great help.

I just built a new PC. I have it side-by-side with my old one. It is like "night & day" how they work for Zoom. 

While much of the Zoom problems can be caused by slow Internet - others are caused by under performing PC's being "pushed to the limits".

I just noticed that my I5-4440 CPU did not meet the minimum requirements for a "static picture without physical green screen" zoom virtual background.

It needed a minimum I5 gen 6.

Image only without a physical green screen

• Zoom desktop client for Windows, version 5.2.0 or higher
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Intel i3 - 4-cores or higher, gen 8 or higher (excluding Y-series)
  • Intel i5 - 2-cores or higher, gen 6 or higher (excluding Y-series)
  • Intel i7 - 2-cores or higher, gen 6 or higher (excluding Y-series)
  • AMD Ryzen 5/7/9 or higher

Zoom minimum requirements Link

From the latest Audio/Video Guidelines for those having parts S-178 from the forms section:

BACKGROUND
9. If possible, use a neutral wall for your background. If this is not possible, avoid backgrounds with very bright lighting or distracting objects.

We discourage virtual backgrounds for those having meeting parts as it could become the focal point rather then what takes place on the screen. Besides that some when they move during their parts portions of their silhouette is being cut off or becomes ragged.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

1 hour ago, More4me2do said:

From the latest Audio/Video Guidelines for those having parts S-178 from the forms section:

BACKGROUND
9. If possible, use a neutral wall for your background. If this is not possible, avoid backgrounds with very bright lighting or distracting objects.

We discourage virtual backgrounds for those having meeting parts as it could become the focal point rather then what takes place on the screen. Besides that some when they move during their parts portions of their silhouette is being cut off or becomes ragged.

That's a good point. Many times when the background has a similar color to what the person is wearing, the edges will flicker and some times some parts of the head or shirt will disappear too. Its truly distracting.

Edited by WilliamChew

4 hours ago, More4me2do said:

BACKGROUND

It is interesting that the guidelines which were mainly written for those presenting public talks in the congregation, included the note to apply for all having parts on the program.  In the introduction of the instructions (section #1) it says...

"The following reminders should be considered before presenting public talks as well as other parts at congregation meetings."

Edited by jwhess

We've scheduled a short meeting with our public readers and others who give parts in order to review the guidelines from the branch. 

It's certainly appreciated; we've kindly tried to counsel some on not having everyone look up their nostrils when they read, but it hasn't sunk in.  Now with this clear branch direction, including pictures :D, it will be a lot easier to maintain standards.  

6 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Just curious - does it cover having your camera off while reading?

No, it's mainly for those who give talks.  Mainly camera placement, the importance of seeing the lens head-on, background stuff, etc. 

But it's certainly applicable to those who read as well.  

We've thought about asking readers to have their cameras off, so as to not distract from the actual material, but we don't want to make rules and there's no real basis for it.  Also, when meeting in person, we never hid the reader behind a curtain, so I guess it's not that big a deal. 

Our brothers just started using the multi spotlight feature for our student talks. It pins both participants on the screen at the same time and it is brilliant! 😃

I'm happy that it was my talk that was the first one they tried it on. It was quite useful to see both myself and my partner together without the distraction of the rest of the gallery.  The feature was very well received. 

While we're talking about cool features, we just discovered (belatedly) that we can share pre-meeting music at a nice volume that doesn't detract from conversations - just like in the pre-covid days! 

I'm sure you all know this already; I felt so dumb when I finally figured it out.  But in share screen/advanced, you can choose "share sound only" or something like that, and then share the music you're playing on JW Library.  I find a standard Windows PC volume of 8 to 10 is good.  Audible but not overwhelming at all.

9 minutes ago, Qapla said:

As was mentioned the answer to that question was not covered directly.  But as to the use of the microphone while speaking, it does end with this note:

locate the microphone and make sure that no objects are blocking it. If the framing guidelines are followed, you should be positioned at an acceptable distance from the built-in microphone.

The "framing guidelines" (in earlier sections) refer to the persons placement in front of the camera.  So the video is on 

In our Congregation we have a number who turn their cameras off  when the meeting start, including some of the Elders - they have them on before the meeting while associating. Some of these leave their cameras off while reading for the Bible Study or WT meeting. They do turn them on to give a talk.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

In our Congregation we have a number who turn their cameras off  when the meeting start, including some of the Elders - they have them on before the meeting while associating. Some of these leave their cameras off while reading for the Bible Study or WT meeting. They do turn them on to give a talk.

If you're one who has Speaker view selected for meetings, it can feel kinda weird to only just see a name up and no face during the reading parts. At least it does for me. 

I genuinely crave seeing the friends' faces throughout our meetings- for their parts, readings, comments, laughter, fidgets 😉... they're the only ones I see during a week. Cameras on in greatly appreciated 🥰

53 minutes ago, Qapla said:

38 minutes ago, Hope said:

If you're one who has Speaker view selected for meetings, it can feel kinda weird to only just see a name up and no face during the reading parts. At least it does for me. 

I genuinely crave seeing the friends' faces throughout our meetings- for their parts, readings, comments, laughter, fidgets 😉... they're the only ones I see during a week. Cameras on in greatly appreciated 🥰

My current circuit overseer addressed this at his visit of my congregation some weeks ago during his concluding talk on Saturday. It was said in a loving, understanding and serious tone.

They (the elder body) mentioned to me that they are concerned that quite a few I have been turning off their video during the meetings. So we don't know fully what's the reasoning behind that. However, we do know that if we were at the Kingdom Hall, none of us could turn off any video, we would see each other. So we want you to think about what is the reason why your video is not being displayed. It shouldn't be that we're not prepared to see others because if we came to the Kingdom Hall, we would put the time into putting on makeup, combing our hair doing or whatever was proper. So this is the Kingdom Hall right now. So we should have the same, same respect the same kind of approach to this worship. It shouldn't  be because we on zoom, that we started to do things very differently. And we take options that normally would not be available to us, this is a holy arrangement. And so if there are some unnecessary reason that we are not showing ourselves because we didn't get fully dressed or or some other situation that is within our control, we should make sure we take the proper steps to control those things. So that Jehovah's worship is always at the high level that it should be in. So they mentioned that to me, they probably will be following up and talking to ones about that specifically. And I'm not saying this to shame anybody, because I don't know exactly why you are not on screen. But the trend has been in the congregation that more are not displaying, putting us on and we don't we don't enjoy that trend. We are concerned about it as elders, and we want to address it. So keep it in mind.

So after his visit I looked up "meetings" on wol.jw.org and found this nice article under appreciation for;

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016283#h=47:0-50:254

And for brief family worship following week, I covered these points to encourage family to consider what our circuit overseer encouraged the congregation on.

reasons to attend meetings.jpg

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

No it doesn’t

actually the opposite

we are encouraged to have cameras on if possible

when participating use of camera is more engaging than no camera....

when in doubt follow examples of meeting and broadcast parts

The only explanation that I have for this difference in either camera on or off, it may be the media and host teams in some congregations are limited in their technical know-how or their equipment, or connections are marginal. The host and media teams in our congregation create a breakout room where every single individual that will have a part including readers and those giving prayers is being tested, 15 minutes in advance, for their audio, video, framing and lighting. While they may turn off their camera when they are not speaking to the congregation they will turn their cameras on when they have their part. Commenting remains a choice where some comment with their cameras off.

However from 120+ in meeting attendance only 30 will have their cameras on during the entire meeting. I can understand that some servants and elders have their cameras off because the host and media teams communicate during the meeting via text messages to ensure that everything is proceeding orderly and with dignity. If these brothers would have their cameras on it may give the wrong impression when they look at their phones or devices.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

When delivering a public talk, I love to be able to look at people's faces and see what the reaction is.  That helps me to either make adjustments in tone of voice, ask a rhetorical question, etc.  And it encourages me as well.  

One time we visited a congregation that was mostly black squares.  It wasn't very upbuilding; I felt like I was presenting a talk to a wall.  

Our C.O. used 3 John 14 - "However, I am hoping to see you soon, and we will speak face-to-face."

That is a great scripture to use when encouraging others to turn their cameras on (although we've found it works best if we encourage them on an individual/family basis, not as a local needs or congregation-wide exhortation).  

On 12/1/2020 at 6:29 PM, Myew said:

The hosting update will definitely be appreciated, the A/V brother often has to switch host with an elder for them to make breakout rooms.

It is not necessary for the A/V brother to be the host in order to handle his responsibility. He can do his job as a co-host. No need to switch.

That is not the case in our Hall - especially since we have some sisters doing the A/V. Our COBE or one of the other Elders logs in a "Host" and the rest are made "co-host"

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

That is not the case in our Hall - especially since we have some sisters doing the A/V. Our COBE or one of the other Elders logs in a "Host" and the rest are made "co-host"

You have sisters on the A/V crew for meetings?? Wow!

9 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Zoominst says:

AUDIO/VIDEO SUPPORT
25. An exemplary brother should be assigned to care for audio/video support for each Zoom
meeting. To care for this responsibility, he will need to be assigned the “Host” or “Co-host”
role. He should, when possible, use the desktop version of the Zoom application (Windows
or Mac). It may be practical to have two brothers assigned to care for audio/video support for
most meetings.

In my last meeting on Saturday in the breakout room after the meeting, the co-host in training's wife said that she had a few years work related experience with zoom before the congregation's use of it for meetings.

Sisters have the skills.

I encouraged her to assist him in the training I gave him for use on his newly purchased macbook. He would be the first host using a macbook

48 minutes ago, AH173 said:

We have had sisters manning the sound console for several years - and those same sisters are doing the A/V for the meetings on Zoom. A brother is assigned as attendant.