JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Local needs - Choose Your Apps Wisely

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1329 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just now, bohemian said:

Our brother mentioned apps or social media where people use nicknames. He linked that to “ people who hide what they are”. Psalm 26:4.

I think I shall have to delete my forum name.

I don't think that's necessary my brother. That refers to people who hide their actions, true intentions and motives. 

Did the outline for this part cover "usernames" and say we should ONLY use our real ones?

If it was not part of the outline .... not sure it should be included in the talk

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

ours mentioned whatsapp. my wife and I have never used it, but there are groups on this and brothers often try to persuade us to join.

We stubbornly refuse.

I belong to 1 facebook group which is a group of owners of a particular brand of hifi.

I belong to one other forum for hifi discussions and that is it!

30 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Social media forums was not mentioned in our meeting ... he stuck to "messaging" apps like FB, Twitter, Insta??, WhatsApp, Discord and the like

Yes that's what I heard. There were so many things mentioned in his part that were not directed to what we do here. We don't crowd source or ask for money or gather in a meeting with hundreds or thousands of people. We're a discussion forum randomly joined as people have the time.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

37 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Yes that's what I heard. There were so many things mentioned in his part that were not directed to what we do here. We don't crowd source or ask for money or gather in a meeting with hundreds or thousands of people. We're a discussion forum randomly joined as people have the time.

Am very glad this forum not part of what was discussed in tonight's local need part.  I enjoy being here with all. 

14 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Am very glad this forum not part of what was discussed in tonight's local need part.  I enjoy being here with all. 

Even if it was mentioned, no one should make a rule against using it. As with apps, caution is needed everywhere we choose to associate. I think some hear these talks and hear, “Oh, we shouldn’t use these apps at all.” But that’s not the direction. The same goes for this forum.

Having said that, I would NEVER let anyone in my congregation know that I’m here. They just wouldn’t understand.

As I've stated somewhere, I only have one local sister who I shared this forum with. She is so grateful. She is married to an unbeliever and feels so left out. Now she feels included. Love that as I'm the same boat.  This site keeps me abreast of the happenings in our organization. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, OtterWriter said:

“Oh, we shouldn’t use these apps at all.” But that’s not the direction. The same goes for this forum.

In our congregation, the elders have made it clear that even themselves use such messenger apps a lot. So using them are certainly beneficial, but we need to be cautious of what was mentioned in the talk.

11 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

The outline lists several messaging apps such as Discord and a few I haven't heard of. 

Hi Richard,

The person who gave our version of the talk did a very good job however he highlighted large groups of people on social media apps some of which we do not know personally or have never met before and that the direction was from the slave that we should not be part of these groups for our own safety. He also mentioned that our reaction to this advice will be a reflection of our spirituality. Was that information part of the outline as it for the first time completely fitted the description of this forum?

Don't get me wrong I have been a long time member of this forum, I have read the forum introduction rules/guidance many times and have  followed this and many other discussions about this subject however this was quite pointed about not knowing people personally and not to set up or be be part of these groups for everyone's safety. 

Is that the direction from the slave or was that bit added to the outline innocently by our brother? I may have to cease being a member due to this talk which I am reluctant to do if that wasn't actually the direction that was intended as I love you all lots and love dropping in here from time to time.

I unfortunately am at a crossroads with social and messaging apps due to this talk but am willing to follow Jehovah's direction.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

It's sad that some wish to apply some counsel and discard other counsel points.

Listen, obey and be blessed.

Your local body of elders have given your congregation a scriptural based LOCAL NEED talk from the branch/G.B.

Jehovah is looking after us both morally and spiritually, be thankful and appreciative. 

Edited by Zebra555

37 minutes ago, Zebra555 said:

It's sad that some wish to apply some counsel and discard other counsel points.

Listen, obey and be blessed.

Your local body of elders have given your congregation a scriptural based LOCAL NEED talk from the branch/G.B.

I don't see this having happened in this thread at all, really. While this was a local needs part, it being presented for the benefit of the worldwide brotherhood makes it seem more of a global needs part/local needs presented in all congregations around the world within a couple of weeks.

For me there is an issue is if the brother handling the part left the outline and brought in his own opinions, rather than staying to the outlined material. Obviously no-one should be told after this item whether they should remain a member on this forum or not. Similarly, the Organization doesn't explicitly ban certain forms of entertainment. They present us the information so that those with a Bible-trained conscience will be able to distinguish both right and wrong. All individuals must make of themselves an accounting before Jehovah and make an informed decision. But as for me personally, I would feel sad if anyone left JWTalk on the basis of a slanted/biased presentation of an item in congregation x, if the idea was never part of the outline and thus never mentioned in congregations y and z. (*)

(*) = I am not an elder and thus do not have an access to jw.org login = I can't read the outline myself. However, the way I heard it given in our congregation and the way many have described it: some seemingly personal opinions were mentioned in some localities, in most localities the item was very well-balanced and a good reminder.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

The interesting and different part of this talk that I have not heard before is that we should not be setting up social media groups with people we do not know personally and it is the responsibility of the group maker to know the participants in the group personally. Is that in the outline? With upwards of 1000+ people how is this possible?

If it is part of the outline does the information we supply when registering ie. Name, Congregation, whether we are baptised or not etc etc along with the limited user status for a period of time until we prove we are an encouraging addition to the forum. - Does this constitute us eventually being known personally by the moderator team? My feelings is veering towards yes but only after a period of time.

However explaining this to anyone in my congregation would be a lot more tricky after yesterday's local needs item. 

I don't know how much of a task it is for you moderators to stop undesirables infiltrating this forum and I thank you all very much for keeping this a safe and up building environment to be part of. There is obviously a certain amount of danger involved with each new person who joins and so the question is how does that job affect you and how do you feel about the global needs direction if that was part of the outline.

Edited by MentalProject

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

One of the groups I belong to in FB decided to announce closing down due to the talk. It has been a group dedicated to supporting only brothers and sisters locally regarding various issues - if brothers are moving to the area, or buying and selling items, offering or looking for work, or general "support" requests. Nothing apostate on there, or debating, and some of the members know each other and their respective congregations. But it has grown in numbers. I am part of it, as I used to live in the area. But I can understand the shutdown.

I also know a well-respected elder serving in a foreign language congregation in Canada, and because he runs a successful worldwide business, and clothing stores catering to the rich, he has thousands of contacts on his FB page. Including inactive ones I saw. So this is really making me think of deleting him as a friend. Although he posts from jw.org from time-to-time, the majority is of his page are posts on his business, pictures of his worldwide travels and famous contacts. I was able to trace some I knew who had left the truth, although at one point being very "strong", and find it strange that he allows them on his FB page. So I think local needs for each and every person to decide is well-needed.

GoFundMe pages have become popular the past few years, and one page was going around here locally last year, and was stopped. There are organizational arrangements for brothers in need.

Regarding jwmatch, to me I thought that was just obvious that is a no-go. Isn't there a rumour that it's not even owned by Witnesses? But just because a brother or a sister advertises they are in the Truth, doesn't tell a person anything. Are they in good standing? Are they really who they appear to be? Anyone can write anything on there. One brother did use it in our congregation, married someone he met on there from a small town in Canada, started an import business from another country, and has since separated from the sister and moved on. For those who have had a positive experience for the organization this is just simply the wrong avenue to get to know someone. I have heard stories, and one sister I know "repenting at leisure."

Finally passing experiences in chat groups that are unverified is almost like spreading lies, if a person doesn't know the source. I wouldn't call anyone a liar, and it probably was never intended to be spread falsely, but it's much safer not to spread such things and receive unintended reactions.

Regarding this chat forum, everyone has to use their own conscience, and I don't view it the same as a messenger chat group. But if someone else does, that is for him or her to decide.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11