JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Local needs - Choose Your Apps Wisely

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1327 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

I’ve had a horrible experience because of my being here. I’m waiting for Jehovah to take care of it.

Sorry to hear that Sister Bea. 

12 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Last I knew it was a conscious matter.

So was meat eating and circumcision in the 1st Century and we know how many letters even Paul had to write referring to them.

Edited by Hugh O'D

5 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

I’ve had a horrible experience because of my being here. I’m waiting for Jehovah to take care of it. It is hard to believe where some, yes, really faithful ones, get stuck. 
Last I knew it was a conscious matter.

I don't usually share this lovely forum. I had one exception recently, her name is Charlotte Rock Frank and she's a new member now. But I think only 4 people know I'm here. And I love being here. Its sad how some adversely judge something before they check it out. 

I hope it all simmers down for you Bea. Good grief, like we don't have enough to think about. 💘

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Sorry to hear, @Miss Bea, that someone has misunderstood your presence on JWTalk. You are one of our loved regular members so it feels even more sad that someone is judging you because of your membership.

I fully understand the dangers of Witness forums as there hardly is anything reliable on the whole internet like JWTalk where bad elements are quickly apprehended or removed. But sometimes when I do not feel at all social or otherwise capable in the congregation, this forum is my theocratic lifeline. But since so few understand the nature of this forum, I too, keep my membership under wraps. I feel that in the conservative environment around me, some brothers or sisters would think that I am somehow not an exemplary publisher or that I no longer don't qualify to be a servant in the congregation :(

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

8 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

Any chance of any sort of heads up on what's coming?

Our local needs was about using messaging apps wisely. Limit groups to people you know. Dont solicit jobs or ask for money. Dont share false stories and dont disrespect your brothers.The talk compares large messaging app groups to large gatherings and we should review the published information about large gatherings. 

I appreciate that this site already follows all of the suggestions that I heard in our local needs part.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

Our local needs was about using messaging apps wisely. Limit groups to people you know. Dont solicit jobs or ask for money. Dont share false stories and dont disrespect your brothers.The talk compares large messaging app groups to large gatherings and we should review the published information about large gatherings.

Yes.

We had the same

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

This site is where I can go to to learn, love, and enjoy. Just enjoy. 

:givehug:

I got a lot of encouragement from your past comments here dear sister. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

14 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

Our meeting is tonight and that part is in about 6.5 hours...😁

58....🤣

... and counting :D

8 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I don't usually share this lovely forum. I had one exception recently, her name is Charlotte Rock Frank and she's a new member now. But I think only 4 people know I'm here. And I love being here. Its sad how some adversely judge something before they check it out. 

I hope it all simmers down for you Bea. Good grief, like we don't have enough to think about. 💘

The only person who knows I'm here is my wife. No one in my congregation would understand it... As a matter of fact I think I'm even the only one from Portugal....

Some things are of a conscience matter, but we also know not to Brag around about what we do with our conscience. For example, I don't tell anyone what movies or tvshows I watch or what kind of places I visit or don't... It's kind of sad not having anyone with whom share things like that... About 10 years ago an elder learned that I had watched the movie "Avatar" (the one from James Cameron) and I had a lot of explaining to do... I think I failed to be appointed at the time because of that....

At our meeting, the elder began by saying that the brothers are not saying not to use messenging apps, that most of them are good for communicating, and in fact CO's, elders and publishers  are all using them  - there are many good uses.  Then he went on to say the dangers, as was mentioned by Richard above.  Mainly to verify your source before you share, and not to join up with groups where it is not supervised well and you don't know if apostates or disfellowshipped ones mingle.

Any reasonable person can see JWTalk is well moderated and an upbuilding place.  Thank you for making it my go-to leisure time place. ❤️  I learn much from your good comments! 

I’m usually pretty quiet about you dear friends. This was a friend that was a one I could talk confidential to, and trust. Lesson learned. 
This, too shall pass. It will just take some time. And lots of prayers. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Some things are of a conscience matter, but we also know not to Brag around about what we do with our conscience.

Cause ultimately the other has to answer to their conscience too.

About 10 years ago an elder learned that I had watched the movie "Avatar" (the one from James Cameron) and I had a lot of explaining to do

He didn't understand the movie either then? Not surprising. 😉

I think I failed to be appointed at the time because of that

Ultimately while the Elders will respect individual conscience they're also not heart readers and ultimately have to make educated guesses regarding appointments. Even Judas had something good in his heart or he wouldn't have followed Jesus from the start or being selected by Jesus to be an Apostle. However, as my first experiences with you was you vigourously defending what the Society once said (including the Insight book etc), the idea of you not being strong for Jehovah's organization is to me hilarious. But I can't read hearts either. 

15 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

I appreciate that this site already follows all of the suggestions that I heard in our local needs part.

There was an interesting point in our Local Needs last night.

"We should make comments that enhance the reputation of others" (Ps 15:3)

That's a good reminder to keep in mind.

Edited by Mephibosheth
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This talk is being given worldwide. So rather than local needs it's global needs. :)

I have listened to that talk in two different congregations, and they were almost word for word identical. The same for the comments some have made here. So it seems the outline didn't leave much room for adding any personal opinions.

We had this talk last night. It was announced as being about "messaging apps" - not "social media apps"

The only app he named by name was WhatsApp and he pointed out it was used by many JW's ... and that, when used properly, that is fine. He gave repeated warnings about "large chats" and "unverified stories".

All-in-all ... a very balanced talk that left each one to make their own decisions as to what they will do - he did not make any "rules" or call any particular app "bad"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

24 minutes ago, Qapla said:

The only app he named by name was WhatsApp

The outline lists several messaging apps such as Discord and a few I haven't heard of.