JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia prepares for world's first approval of a Covid-19 vaccine by mid-August

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1355 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Russia intends to be the first in the world to approve a coronavirus vaccine, in less than two weeks -- despite concerns about its safety, effectiveness and over whether the country has cut essential corners in development, CNN has learned.

Russian officials told CNN they are working toward a date of August 10 or earlier for approval of the vaccine, which has been created by the Moscow-based Gamaleya Institute.
It will be approved for public use, with frontline healthcare workers getting it first, they said.
"It's a Sputnik moment," said Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia's sovereign wealth fund, which is financing Russian vaccine research, referring to the successful 1957 launch of the world's first satellite by the Soviet Union.
"Americans were surprised when they heard Sputnik's beeping. It's the same with this vaccine. Russia will have got there first," he added.https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

That is truly frightening.  A big difference between Sputnik going into outer space  and something that's injected into your body. Could make you seriously ill or kill you. 

Not to mention that 'the head of Russia'a wealth fund's is the one quoted, it's all about money and getting there first. That's the primary goal of this whole system, not the well being of people.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

If they are going to be first - then Putin and the other Heads of State should be the first-of-the-first to get injected (or however it is administered) and lead the way ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I would imagine that certain un-named US govrenment agencies are doing their best to hack into the Russian program the same way they accuse the Russians of hacking into the US programs.

Spy Vs Spy - Spy Vs Spy - Magnet | TeePublic

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Does anyone else find it at all suspicious that a process which normally takes years is now taking just months ? And even while the initial virus is differentiating all around the world? Not doubting the Russians . But suspicious of the entire world. Even more so knowing what was discussed at the EVENT 201 panel last November. Wondering what requirements may be tied to vaccinations . 

All I keep thinking of when they talk of a miracle drug / vaccine done fast and without the usual testing is Tholidamide ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide#History ). We had a brother in our hall whose mom had taken it. He was born without one of his arms.

I am by NO MEANS an anti-vaxxer, but this one - I will not be an early guinea pig / mouse.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

6 minutes ago, trottigy said:

I am by NO MEANS an anti-vaxxer, but this one - I will not be an early guinea pig / mouse.

My concern isn’t that it won’t work properly. My suspicions lay in a different direction. 
     It will work. Or some version of it will work quite well. This is what we will be told. But since so few people by percentage actually die form this : about 1% . Then effectiveness will be very easy to claim .  Even if it didn’t work at all it would be easy to hide that after the second wave. Meanwhile they are talking about some kind of Vaccination Visa  for travel and for work. 
      It’s all a little too ripe for a big government control system.  I suspect a huge propaganda based promotion of these vaccines will flood the media quite soon. But , lo and Behold , you still won’t be able to attend a large group gathering for quite some time even with the vaccine. 

47 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

My concern isn’t that it won’t work properly. My suspicions lay in a different direction. 
     It will work. Or some version of it will work quite well. This is what we will be told. But since so few people by percentage actually die form this : about 1% . Then effectiveness will be very easy to claim .  Even if it didn’t work at all it would be easy to hide that after the second wave. Meanwhile they are talking about some kind of Vaccination Visa  for travel and for work. 
      It’s all a little too ripe for a big government control system.  I suspect a huge propaganda based promotion of these vaccines will flood the media quite soon. But , lo and Behold , you still won’t be able to attend a large group gathering for quite some time even with the vaccine. 

I'm not sure where you are getting the 1% figure.

Using the most recent #s puts it at 4%. And that does not even count those who don't die but are left with varying degrees of damage.

I am certain of a media blitz. I mean the media can't stopping putting this front and center - no matter what media you look at.

Without serious testing over a period of many months to see side affects, I imagine there will be many not interested in taking it.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

All I keep thinking of when they talk of a miracle drug / vaccine done fast and without the usual testing is Tholidamide ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide#History ). We had a brother in our hall whose mom had taken it. He was born without one of his arms.

Yeah, in the congregation I grew up there was a sister whose mother IIRC had been instructed to take thalidomide during the time she was pregnant. Fortunately for her, someone came along at some point and told her to trash those pills. Yet this poor sister had some kind of a developmental disorder at birth, something she passed on to at least one of her kids, too.

But I definitely agree with trottigy even if the first results wouldn't be as devastating as with thalidomide. Vaccine is necessary, but as for me personally, better keep the cool (Prov. 14:15). My own mother got severe symptoms from the last time a vaccine was rushed to the market. Can it possibly have been during the swine flu epidemic? I can't even remember any more 😷 

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

On 7/29/2020 at 5:06 AM, New World Explorer said:

Russia intends to be the first in the world to approve a coronavirus vaccine, in less than two weeks -- despite concerns about its safety, effectiveness and over whether the country has cut essential corners in development, CNN has learned.

Russian officials told CNN they are working toward a date of August 10 or earlier for approval of the vaccine, which has been created by the Moscow-based Gamaleya Institute.
It will be approved for public use, with frontline healthcare workers getting it first, they said.
"It's a Sputnik moment," said Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia's sovereign wealth fund, which is financing Russian vaccine research, referring to the successful 1957 launch of the world's first satellite by the Soviet Union.
"Americans were surprised when they heard Sputnik's beeping. It's the same with this vaccine. Russia will have got there first," he added.https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html

Yeah, they’re trying to first to hack into the labs over here in Boston. :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, trottigy said:

I'm not sure where you are getting the 1% figure.

Not sure about that, but I did hear, several times, that nearly 50% of deaths have been the sickly, elderly Folks. And many of those were preventable. If that’s true, then the death rate is very low for the average person.

Not trying to minimize it, because if I get it, my chances of dying are probably right around 100% .:praying:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

9 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Not sure about that, but I did hear, several times, that nearly 50% of deaths have been the sickly, elderly Folks. And many of those were preventable. If that’s true, then the death rate is very low for the average person.

Not trying to minimize it, because if I get it, my chances of dying are probably right around 100% .:praying:

Doesn't that show it's more deadly and not less?

Since I'm "young" and healthy, is it ok if I get it and spread to those who aren't since "hey, I'm ok."?

Or maybe I'm looking at this wrong. This could be a great opportunity to purge the world of the elderly and sickly so it doesn't have to spend so much time and resources on them? Wow, that doesn't sound very Christians either.

Anyway, there is no getting around the hard numbers. Today there are 679,000 dead and 17,600,000 cases ( that's 3.8%). It is a little lower in the US (3.3%) but give it a month and as new cases plateau and death rates catch up from their 4-6 week lag - we'll get a more accurate count.

As for a rushed thru vaccine - I wonder what age grouping they are "testing" it on. We'll, I'm still going to wait until enough widespread testing is done. I sure hope they are also working on a treatment for once a person has it.

Soon .....

4 minutes ago, trottigy said:

Since I'm "young" and healthy, is it ok if I get it and spread to those who aren't since "hey, I'm ok."?

No? :shrugs:

12 minutes ago, trottigy said:

52 is still young, right?

It is to me.
Don’t be fooled by the young guy in the picture.:lol:

That was in my late 50s. That pic is more than 10 years old .....when I was young and healthy. 

Edited by Pjdriver

On 7/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, BenJepthah said:

It will work. Or some version of it will work quite well. This is what we will be told. Even if it didn’t work at all it would be easy to hide that after the second wave. 
        I suspect a huge propaganda based promotion of these vaccines will flood the media quite soon. 

The propaganda spin will be unprecedented !!!

Which will fit perfectly into the eventual proclamation of P&S !!!

This is like watching a seed sprout and mature. We know what to expect - we just don't know at what speed it may come.

BTW - Reuters has reported Russia is planning a mass vaccination campaign for October. Doctors and teachers up first.

The vaccine pending approval (a foregone conclusion) is an adenovirus -based vaccine.

As noted in the OP - This event is being referred to as a "Sputnik moment" . The Soviet Union was first to put a satellite into orbit in 1957. The acclaim and prestige on the world stage is like a narcotic.

Edited by Doug

Clarification

On 7/29/2020 at 10:57 PM, BenJepthah said:

Does anyone else find it at all suspicious that a process which normally takes years is now taking just months ?

No, not suspicious. It's spin.  It's the way information is presented. Propaganda. 

In any vaccine trial doctors move from phase to phase.  Human trials start at some point. Typically, though, those first human trials do not automatically lead to the desired result. 

That might be what is going on here. Russia might simply be moving to the first stage of human trials. Instead of presenting the action as that, it is being trumpeted as a definite vaccine. 

It's all about spin. 

And, regardless if it is successful or not, heads will surely be spinning

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The heading here has to do with Russia, but ...

I wonder what liability protections the companies who make the vaccine(s) will get. If they get full indemnification then that should really tell us something about how safe the companies making it feel about it.

Soon .....