JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tracking Hurricane Laura In the Gulf

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1329 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Marco remained a tropical storm.

But Laura is forecast to become a Level 3 Hurricane by tomorrow night. :( 

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Praying for our brothers and sisters in Puerto Rico.  

They are still reeling from the previous hurricane

plus all the damaging earthquake activity. :( 

And now, it looks like Tropical Storm Laura is hitting them. :( 

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Sad.  As of this time, 5 pm Sunday, both storms will criss-cross my place.  (well, maybe a day or so apart I hear).  Not so worried about Marco as I am Laura.  Laura is a wishy-washy woman so far.  Our brothers on the Gulf Coast in LA/Tx have been preparing for awhile now.  These storms certainly are not set in stone so all of us stay prepared usually.  Keeping in my prayers those who have already endured these two storms.   And, the other storms to come.  

What's bad is that it's so huge.  I'm hearing wind already outside, and it's a day and a half away. I have a love/hate relationship with those storms. It's kind of exciting to ride out a hurricane, but it does more damage when the winds have such a wide berth.

This forecast, from GOES-East, has Laura gaining strength--up to a category 4 by tonight.

Laura_gif.gif.0faa0c63092d9e96ad8d7265582b2eb1.gif

Hurricane Laura in the Gulf of Mexico this morning, as seen by the GOES-East satellite.

Laura spent yesterday barreling toward the shores of Texas and Louisiana,

intensifying as it traveled the unusually warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

According to the National Hurricane Center, the storm is expected to strengthen rapidly today

to Category 4 intensity and to produce a life-threatening storm surge, extreme winds

and flash flooding over eastern Texas and Louisiana later today. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-updates-texas-louisiana/

Laura rapidly intensifies, expected to be ‘catastrophic’ Category 4 as it zeroes in on Texas, Louisiana

A ‘life-threatening’ storm surge of 10 to 15 feet is predicted, one of the worst in years, along with destructive winds.

:( 

I hope @georider and @Jack stay OK since, as best as I can remember, they are in Houston

We avoided this storm (Florida) but it looks like that portion of the Gulf coast will get hit :( 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

Have anyone here had to evacuate?

If we have any members from Beaumont, or Port Arthur, Texas, they have been ordered to evacuate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/08/26/hurricane-laura-updates-texas-louisiana/

Hurricane Laura is rapidly strengthening and is poised to strike the upper Texas coast and western Louisiana with a ferocity that has not been seen in this region in more than a decade.

The storm, which leaped from a Category 1 to Category 3 overnight Tuesday, is forecast to make landfall as a “catastrophic” Category 4 between Houston and Lake Charles, La., on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. Hurricane and storm surge warnings cover much of this zone.

Beaumont and Port Arthur, Tex., which were severely damaged during Hurricane Harvey in 2017, may be near the point of landfall, where officials have ordered evacuations.

Depending on the timing of the storm, Laura may strike near high tide, inundating areas of western Louisiana and parts of Texas as far as 30 miles inland under between 10 to 15 feet of water.

Laura is also likely to unleash a narrow swath of destructive winds over 120 mph near where it makes landfall. Areas far from Hurricane Laura’s core will still be affected by strong winds and heavy rain, and hurricane-force winds could charge well inland once the storm moves ashore into Thursday morning.

Heavy rain is predicted to be widespread across the west-central Gulf Coast near the Texas and Louisiana border, with 5 to 10 inches falling over a broad area, and locally up 15 inches, leading to areas of flash flooding.

:( 

On 8/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, Good-O said:

Sad.  As of this time, 5 pm Sunday, both storms will criss-cross my place.  (well, maybe a day or so apart I hear).  Not so worried about Marco as I am Laura.  Laura is a wishy-washy woman so far.  Our brothers on the Gulf Coast in LA/Tx have been preparing for awhile now.  These storms certainly are not set in stone so all of us stay prepared usually.  Keeping in my prayers those who have already endured these two storms.   And, the other storms to come.  

This news report says Laura will be upgraded to a Cat4 by landfall this evening. The forecaster says it is expected to be worse than Rita, and calls Laura "un-surviveable."

Sorry--this is the correct news report.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

@JudyOYes, its going to be bad.  Last night I got the last of the Marco wind/rain.  Zoom worked for first part of mtg and but not for Bible study.  Today sunny for awhile, darkening skies, then sunshine again.  Wind picking up now at 1300.  Baton Rouge, Hammond, LA already tornado warnings.  It will only get worse.  Beaumont/Pt Arthur is a low lying coastal area w/lots of chemical/oil refineries,  cattle farming, rice areas, processing plants.  Weather ppl say Laura should be worse that storm Rita.  My friends there evacuated yesterday.  For awhile now the brothers have been preparing as best they can for this storm.  This is always storm time of the year for us in these areas.  Laura expected to land between midnight and 0400 and then turn north and east.  When it lands I will be on the east side.   My area is expected to get 60-80 mph winds with 6-10" rain locally.   I will get lots of rain, wind, tornados and all that comes with these storms.  Our elders have been preparing us for more than a week now.   Making sure we are all taken care of and have a place to go, etc.   I thank Jehovah for such loving brothers.   Please keep our spiritual family in your prayers.  

August 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM EDT

www.washingtonpost.com

Hurricane Laura ties record for fastest intensification rate of any hurricane in Gulf of Mexico

Meteorologists had warned the potential was there for Hurricane Laura to rapidly intensify in the Gulf of Mexico, but this storm managed to do so at record speeds Wednesday. The transformation of Laura into a major hurricane puts many Gulf communities in Louisiana and eastern Texas in peril because of storm surge and high wind impacts.

The storm tied for the most rapid intensification rate on record in the Gulf of Mexico, matching the intensification rate of Hurricane Karl in 2010. Hurricane Laura increased from a 75-mph Category 1 storm to a 140-mph Category 4 storm in 24 hours, between 2 p.m. Eastern time Tuesday and 2 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday, Colorado State University atmospheric scientist and hurricane researcher Philip Klotzbach said.

As of 5 p.m. Wednesday Eastern time, Laura had maximum sustained winds of 145 mph, up from 125 mph at the 11 a.m. advisory. This makes it a strong Category 4 hurricane. It was centered 155 miles south of Lake Charles, La., moving northwest at 15 mph.

😨

Just saw that it’s 7 mph away from being a cat 5! A couple of years ago my husband and I went to Beaumont TX for DRC and it was heart breaking to see what the friends went through. And now it’s going to be bad for them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Good-O said:

Our elders have been preparing us for more than a week now.   Making sure we are all taken care of and have a place to go, etc.   I thank Jehovah for such loving brothers.   Please keep our spiritual family in your prayers.  

Yes, thank Jehovah for His his loving direction and care along with these self sacrificing brothers that just keep going and going and going.   What a precious gift!

No doubt, countless prayers are reaching Jehovah this evening for our family, including mine.  Jehovah is watching and will continue giving each individual, exactly what they personally need to get though these horrific times.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Laura is expected to come ashore sometime Wed night/Thur Morning - very possible while it is still dark out. The damage is going to be considerable.

Our Congregation reminded us that they need our prayers and will need extra funds to deal with the aftermath.

The Weather Chanel is saying that Laura will remain a dangerous storm for some time and distance when it gets inland

They just announced that people who did not evacuate should have tools to "get out of the attic" and to put their personal info (name, SSN, next of kin) in a sealed zip-lock bag so they can be identified when they are "found" - they are calling this storm unsurvivable to those who stay behind.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Even here in Europe it's in the news the storm made landfall and the damage is enormous. As in the news here a huge flooding with heights up to 6 meters (18 feet) is expected 😳

Hopefully all our friends that got the warning to leave the area. And all others affected to storm are save now.

The only thing I can do now is pray for all of you that got affected bij this monstrous Storm.

Please be safe my friends