JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coronavirus: Six years predicted for world to become COVID-safe

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1186 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

38 minutes ago, sunshine said:

can coronavirus be transmitted from  animals to humans naturally (outside a lab)

I think so, recent news from Denmark and Poland suggest that’s certainly possible (google mink Denmark) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

12 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Thank you for this post my sister. Im not very scientific so if you dont mind me picking your brain... 

- can coronavirus be transmitted from  animals to humans naturally (outside a lab) 

- has the virus Codiv19  been isolated?   (do they have it in a test tube so they can inject a tiny amount into the body to provoke an immune response )

- is natural herd immunity a real thing (does such a thing exist)?

- do the COVID19 vaccines protect against getting  the virus? 

- do the vaccines COVID19 protect against transmission? 

I have been wondering about these things...thanks so much

Not the sister, but maybe I can answer some. 

can coronavirus be transmitted from  animals to humans naturally (outside a lab)? -

"All SARS-CoV-2 isolated from humans to date are closely related genetically to coronaviruses isolated from bat populations, 
specifically, bats from the genus Rhinolophus. SARS-CoV, the cause of the SARS outbreak in 2003, is also closely related to 
coronaviruses isolated from bats." -

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus/origins-of-the-virus (under the origins article)

The 3 that I know of have all occurred naturally.

SARS-CoV(2003), SARS-CoV-2(2019), and MERS. If I understand correctly these viruses mutate pretty often and eventually some cross over.. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19

has the virus Codiv19  been isolated? -

Yes, the isolated it months before quarantine.

• On February 2, 2020, CDC generated enough SARS-CoV-2 grown in cell culture to distribute to medical and scientific researchers.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html

is natural herd immunity a real thing (does such a thing exist)? -

Yes it does exit. This happened with pandemics before vaccines like the pandemic if 1918. To reach this though requires a high amount of infections which isn't good. 

"Even if infection with the COVID-19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold. Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic. If many people become sick with COVID-19 at once, the health care system could quickly become overwhelmed. This amount of infection could also lead to serious complications and millions of deaths, especially among older people and those who have chronic conditions."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

do the COVID19 vaccines protect against getting  the virus? 

"All COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States have been shown to be highly effective at preventing COVID-19. " -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

• Based on evidence from clinical trials, the Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who received two doses who had no evidence of being previously infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/Moderna.html

do the vaccines COVID19 protect against transmission? 

Some research indicates yes. -

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-pfizer-vaccine-may-reduce-transmission

However -

"The vaccine works to keep you from getting severely ill.

But if you get infected, it may not prevent you from spreading the virus to others." 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/you-can-still-spread-develop-covid-19-after-getting-a-vaccine-what-to-know

It takes time for the vaccines to take effect and you can still spread during that time. Wearing masks and maintaining social distance is recommended after your vaccines shot. For example Pfizer takes 3 weeks between shots and potentially 14 days after the second shot to gain the full effects.

3 hours ago, sunshine said:

can coronavirus be transmitted from  animals to humans naturally (outside a lab)

No

not direct from bats anyway

they need another intermediate host

on Sars it’s believed to be vero cells from lab but nothing is proven yet

has the virus Codiv19  been isolated?

Yes and it’s genome is well known now

several mutations identified as well

test tube so they can inject a tiny amount into the body to provoke an immune response )

Do you mean a vaccine? Yes it’s already done a few,  tested , and applied to some people all over the World 

natural herd immunity a real thing (does such a thing exist)?

Yes but it can’t be measured yet on covid 19 . No sufficient data. Once thought 75% population had to be immune... now scientists say maybe 85% is required

do the COVID19 vaccines protect against getting  the virus?

No

the actual vaccines try to help the body to avoid the worse outcome of covid. so vaccinated people must have the same care as all! Wearing masks and maintain social distance 

to avoid the transmission of coronavirus there should be developed intra nasal vaccines that elicit local imunity 

those vaccines are under study (Merck vaccine f ex)

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

On 2/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, Sofia said:

No

the actual vaccines try to help the body to avoid the worse outcome of covid. so vaccinated people must have the same care as all! Wearing masks and maintain social distance 

to avoid the transmission of coronavirus there should be developed intra nasal vaccines that elicit local imunity 

those vaccines are under study (Merck vaccine f ex)

This is interesting.  Unfortunately, the general public are under the impression that getting the vaccine mean they are protected and don't need to worry about the virus anymore and live a normal life.

Because the vaccine program is progressing well in the UK, the UK government is now being pressured to lift the lockdown restrictions.  It is worrying because if restrictions are lifted too early, people could still spread and catch the virus.

45 minutes ago, On the huh said:

This is interesting.  Unfortunately, the general public are under the impression that getting the vaccine mean they are protected and don't need to worry about the virus anymore and live a normal life.

Because the vaccine program is progressing well in the UK, the UK government is now being pressured to lift the lockdown restrictions.  It is worrying because if restrictions are lifted too early, people could still spread and catch the virus.

This is why we must pay attention, and obey to the GB directions. They know the best for Jehovah´s people.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, On the huh said:

I don't see a face mask removal or going to halls, etc until 2023 or so. Stick with the organization.

I wonder how much this pandemic has taught people, and whether they will be better prepared for the next one. I’ve heard some express that this might only have been the dress rehearsal.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

I don't see a face mask removal or going to halls, etc until 2023 or so. Stick with the organization

When the announcement at MWM was made about NO Special Conventions till 2023, it was easy for me in my imperfection to have heard wrongly that "no getting back to Regular meetings/assemblies/Conventions" till 2023. :wall:

In my mind it seems impossible if we are to keep safe from corona.

GB want us to be safe.

Let´s do our best to obey

On 2/14/2021 at 12:17 AM, On the huh said:

I'm fortunate that in a short walk, I can be by the beach and walk for miles where few people go.   I've gone for a 10 mile walk along the coast and not seen a soul.  Very peaceful and relaxing during this time.

that sounds so wonderful i can barely stand it... ❤️

On 2/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, On the huh said:

The reality seems to be even if 100% of the country is vaccinated you can syill get it and you can still transmit it.  And there is no guarantee you will not be hospitalised or die of it.

My understanding is they believe you will possibly get *less* sick with it, if you are vaccinated.  Maybe.

More sciengific minded people can correct me if I have misunderstood, but we will have to wait until the clinical trials are completed to be more sure (another year or so)

On 2/17/2021 at 7:22 PM, Mykyl said:

You might want to check that again. 😉 

Okay well its difficult to find first source information but I did find some articles in the BmJ

Hospital admissions and deaths from covid-19 are simply too uncommon in the population being studied for an effective vaccine to demonstrate statistically significant differences in a trial of 30 000 people. The same is true of its ability to save lives or prevent transmission: the trials are not designed to find out.

I think its common knowledge that the vaccjnes are all presently unlicensed due to the fact that trials (phase III) are not finished and what I understand from the article is that it is impractical and too expensive to conduct a trial on the scale needed to prove the vaccine actually do prevent hospitalizations and deaths.

The whole article can be found here https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4037

The article you quote is from October 2020. Prior to any approval being made on any of the vaccines currently being used. 

Trials were completed for all three so far. They were approved for use in the last two or 3 months.

Millions of people have had them already with no horror stories so far.

A few horror stories has no real relevance. We can all have a sudden reaction to something new. Today I can eat peanuts, tomorrow they might cause me to have a bad reaction if my body happens to react to them. Wont stop me eating them today. Why? Because the chances of me reacting badly to them are tiny. So why worry about a tiny chance unless you believe there is a greater chance for you as an individual. The benefits far outweigh the issues.  

There are new vaccines on the horizon that are not currently approved and are still in trials.