JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

17 US states Now Not Requiring Masks.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1059 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

13 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Who would have thought medicine and safeguards would become so political? What next? Seatbelts?

Already were sadly! https://www.history.com/news/seat-belt-laws-resistance

And there is still a percentage today that don't wear seatbelts. 

"Of the 37,133 people killed in motor vehicle crashes in 2017, 47% were not wearing seat belts. In 2017 alone, seat belts saved an estimated 14,955 lives and could have saved an additional 2,549 people if they had been wearing seat belts. " -https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/seat-belts#:~:text=Consequences,-47 % Percentage of&text=Of the 37%2C133 people killed,were not wearing seat belts.

2 minutes ago, Dove said:

In some states, Idaho, New York, hundreds gathered and had mask burning events...Parents were encouraging their children to burn their masks...☹️

"Huzzah, we defeated the government's plan of trying to mind control us with microchip implanted masks!" (...?)

It will definitely make for a case study.  Putting the current environment to the test.

I listen to a sports commentator from Indiana that recently visitedd Alabama.  He wore a mask.  While Alabama has mask mandates, they aren't enforced.  He said when he went into a gas station wearing a mask that he had a lot of funny looks.  Nobody was wearing a mask and he said it was as if you were wearing a mask it was clear you were not from around there.  

I am from Alabama and I can confirm this! I would say 8 out of 10 ppl do not wear a mask in my area. It’s so disheartening. My husband is self employed and when he has to go to customers houses most tell him he doesn’t have to wear his mask. To which he tells them he will in fact always wear his mask for his protection and theirs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode on an "autonomous vehicle" today

20210309_122331.thumb.jpg.4f665d1500d07b3eae1411ad8c796fe8.jpg

20210309_114431.thumb.jpg.dd40423da5d4ada6dfcd89e26c0ae267.jpg

20210309_114252.thumb.jpg.794a82d5cfc949d5e49c247868b34563.jpg

As you can see, I was the only passenger. Due to current US laws, there is a human operator in the vehicle during the testing period. I had only stopped to look at the vehicle when she told me I could ride (it is free). I had to go park my truck. When I came back with my mask she said I was not "required" to wear it but I was welcome to.

It is sad how many choose not to wear one, especially if they are not distanced.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In California many have never followed the laws/recommendations and they have the highest count - well over 3 million.

Plus they have had a large seasonal flu outbreak. Info from sister in law in Cal.

Here in province of Ontario ( many other provinces similar ) has had No flu reported due to following covid protocols.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Here in Florida - we are "waiting for the other shoe to fall" since it is

"Spring Break" for the colleges

image.jpeg.5c84eaf1b066b7a8867868cf8878c338.jpegSpring break could be a perfect storm for spreading coronavirus variants.  Don't let that happen - CNNColleges scrapping spring break amid travel concerns during coronavirus  pandemic - ABC News

and

Bike Week in Daytona

image.jpeg.7181cafe97a2ecd539b32bb2ad54bc48.jpegDaytona Bike Week 2021 | LightningCustoms.comimage.jpeg.8dc64dce2599bcb91eb31a31c7c18691.jpeg

Will have to wait and see how much C-19 will spike in the coming weeks :(:wall::cry: 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/04/coronavirus-texas-masks-city-buildings/

Texas’ largest cities will keep requiring masks in municipal buildings even after statewide mandate ends

Mayors in some of Texas’ biggest cities announced that they will still mandate the use of masks in municipal buildings, even after the statewide mask order ends next week.

Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso’s leaders announced Wednesday and Thursday that masks will be required to enter city-owned indoor spaces like libraries, police and fire department headquarters, convention centers and transportation hubs.

There are many places in Florida that still have "local mandates" requiring masks - however, since there is no State mandate, it makes the enforcement of those mandates difficult since any arrest and/or fine will not hold up in court ... due to the State not having a mandate. In fact, the Governor of Florida signed a decree to the effect that local mask mandates do NOT supersede the State removal of a mask mandates.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, Qapla said:

I live in one of those states that does not have a mask mandate ... it can make it difficult when going in public when some use caution and others act as if there is no concern for public safety since there is no mandate.

Like was brought out in the GB update - we need to stay vigilant and not relax our precautions.  This world is more concerned with the economy than they are with health and welfare.

Texas has lifted their mask mandate for financial greed not because they think the pandemic is over

Well, we shouldn't treat the economy and "health and welfare" as mutually exclusive terms. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Texas, my brother... 

A good economy and jobs leads to health and safety - you can buy nutritious food, clothing, and housing with a strong economy. A strong economy also pays for police and fire. That's both health and safety. You cannot ignore it because of covid. As as example, take Venezuela. A broken economy leads to poverty, uprising, and unchecked violence. And yet, we can take all the COVID precautions and not die from COVID. Yet you have no safety and can't afford basic food and shelter.

So they work hand in hand. You NEED a good economy. No way around it.

Edited by Bob

On 3/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, Qapla said:

Here in Florida - we are "waiting for the other shoe to fall" since it is

"Spring Break" for the colleges

image.jpeg.5c84eaf1b066b7a8867868cf8878c338.jpegSpring break could be a perfect storm for spreading coronavirus variants.  Don't let that happen - CNNColleges scrapping spring break amid travel concerns during coronavirus  pandemic - ABC News

and

Bike Week in Daytona

image.jpeg.7181cafe97a2ecd539b32bb2ad54bc48.jpegDaytona Bike Week 2021 | LightningCustoms.comimage.jpeg.8dc64dce2599bcb91eb31a31c7c18691.jpeg

Will have to wait and see how much C-19 will spike in the coming weeks :(:wall::cry: 

Oh.. cases are going to rise. Lesser restrictions only make that inevitable. Unless we are to be on indefinite restriction, you won’t be able to control the rise in cases. 

BUT.. the outcome of those case are the biggest concern.. like hospitalizations, and deaths. 

If the case rate keeps going and death rate falls, that’s actually more acceptable, because probably means the vaccine is working at preventing death. 

Personally, I’m fine with that. If I can be sick for a day or two and am fine afterwards, that’s the best we can hope for. 

I’ve learned not to look at covid in a vacuum. There is a lot of nuance.  

9 hours ago, Bob said:

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Texas, my brother...  You NEED a good economy. No way around it.

A good economy does not require lifting of safety precautions that are working. Wearing a mask does not keep anyone from working or shopping. Neither does physical distancing and hand washing (things the GB reminded us of this week at the MWM announcements). 

The economy in our local area is faring just even with the restrictions on "inside dining" and other similar precautions. The take-out and delivery business is at an all-time high as are many other businesses. Building and other outdoor businesses are also doing fine ... the "inside businesses" have been requiring masks and have marked off distancing when checking out and retail is still thriving.

In his speech about "opening up Texas" - the Governor indicated it was for "economic reasons only" and he displayed an attitude that it was time to "put Covid behind us" even though it was raging in Texas at the time and ICU's were overloaded and deaths were still rising.

I was not the only one who viewed his actions as "greed" - many people I know felt the same way (JW's as well as non-JW's) as did many of the news outlets - left and right.

However, we are all welcome to our own opinion so I will respect yours and not criticize you for yours - all I ask is that you extend me the same courtesy.

6 minutes ago, Qapla said:

A good economy does not require lifting of safety precautions that are working. Wearing a mask does not keep anyone from working or shopping. Neither does physical distancing and hand washing (things the GB reminded us of this week at the MWM announcements). 

The economy in our local area is faring just even with the restrictions on "inside dining" and other similar precautions. The take-out and delivery business is at an all-time high as are many other businesses. Building and other outdoor businesses are also doing fine ... the "inside businesses" have been requiring masks and have marked off distancing when checking out and retail is still thriving.

In his speech about "opening up Texas" - the Governor indicated it was for "economic reasons only" and he displayed an attitude that it was time to "put Covid behind us" even though it was raging in Texas at the time and ICU's were overloaded and deaths were still rising.

I was not the only one who viewed his actions as "greed" - many people I know felt the same way (JW's as well as non-JW's) as did many of the news outlets - left and right.

However, we are all welcome to our own opinion so I will respect yours and not criticize you for yours - all I ask is that you extend me the same courtesy.

Well, it was being suggested that there is this "health v economy" dichotomy in your post. Sorry if I misunderstood you. So I was just addressing that there is really no such thing as "health and safety" v the "economy".

Economies help build and contribute to good health and provide public safety. Deaths of despair and suicides are directly linked to covid restrictions as well.

That's all I wanted to bring out, broham!

Edited by Bob

The province of Ontario lifted some restrictions by region - color coded. However case are spiking again - and we still have mask mandate

- some idiots are having large parties - no masks - no distancing - no hand washing.

40% of new cases are of the variants - main one the British one.

One city was just put into full lock down due to 57% spike in 1 week.

3rd wave starting in Ontario.

My age group - senior in own home, in local community, can't get shot until April +

A report in the US news about spread of virus

At first Democratic controlled states had highest number - thought in due to being points of entry - that was up until July 4th

Now it is Republican states which far outstripped most other states in cases ( except vain California - party state ) - due to slower or practically non existent Covid protocols, this was up until December.

Now some areas have had 3rd spike already and 4th is looming.

Brothers - Keep safe and follow health guidelines as GB stated.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

If someone on here came in complaining about how lockdowns and government mandates have been too oppressive, that person would probably be told to check their neutrality, even though there's likely going to be a 20% increase in cancer alone, due to people not getting the screening they need as a result of covid lockdowns, and I don't even know where to start on the mental health crisis. But complaining about how places are lifting lockdown is apparently perfectly fine.
When lockdowns are lifted, you at least have a choice: You can still choose to stay home whenever possible. You can choose to wear a mask if it helps you and your brothers be safe, and you can wear 2 or 3 masks if you believe that helps. If you live in a place where it's available, you can choose to get all your prescriptions, groceries  and food delivered, and mail order a lot of your shopping. That's still a choice. When there's lockdown, that's a one size fits all solution the government dictates that doesn't take into account individual circumstances, and I'm so sick of people who DARE have any complaint about how, in some situations that one-size fits approach is a little bit oppressive in situations where, due to your circumstances, you're getting barred from doing actually necessary things are have been forced to put your life on pause for an extended amount of time.
I think either side is a threat to neutrality. Yes, I've complained about lockdowns and how things have been banned that aren't any more dangerous, or perhaps less dangerous than shopping at a constantly crowded wal-mart, but are necessary to get on with one's life. I have to work on that. I'm self aware enough to realize that I can improve on my neutrality before the great tribulation hits. But how is complaining about the governments lifting mandates and allowing businesses any less of a threat to neutrality?
Is what the governments doing any of our business? All we can do is do our best to keep ourselves and our brothers, particularly those who are high risk, as safe as possible.

33 minutes ago, Katty said:

I'm so sick of people who DARE have any complaint about how, in some situations that one-size fits approach is a little bit oppressive in situations where, due to your circumstances, you're getting barred from doing actually necessary things are have been forced to put your life on pause for an extended amount of time.

I can definitely see what you mean. Does the government have a solution that will work for all? No, obviously. Only Jehovah does. But the highest incidence of covid is in the USA due to a variety of different messenging from the leaders of a disunited country. It didn’t help that any good from lockdowns dissipated with a high proportion of people unwilling to “stick to the rules” for the common good. So, unfortunately in USA and Europe, the pandemic has dragged on. This leads to a knock-on effect with other health issues you mentioned, and the economies being further affected.

However, in populations that have in the main complied with short sharp lockdowns, the pain has been far reduced. It’s too late for the US and Europe to ask for such strict lockdowns - the population would never get on board, so this slow release method has to be the way to go. You must also think that though you talk about ones choices, to us there is the issue of showing love to neighbour by doing all we can to prevent the spread. If we have to be in lockdown, then at least we know we are doing our small part in helping to slow (in Australian and NZ eliminate) the transmission. It has been the main message from the FDS - to stay safe and follow directions. 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, pnutts said:

In California many have never followed the laws/recommendations and they have the highest count - well over 3 million.

Plus they have had a large seasonal flu outbreak. Info from sister in law in Cal.

Here in province of Ontario ( many other provinces similar ) has had No flu reported due to following covid protocols.

Is it possible that there were flu cases but they were confused with the C-virus?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..