JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

17 US states Now Not Requiring Masks.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1059 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I saw this article and it had me thinking of this thread:

Texas police handcuff maskless woman who asked: ‘What are you going to do, arrest me?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/15/texas-galveston-woman-mask-bank-arrest

Greg Abbott, the Texas governor, has ended statewide orders requiring people to wear face masks in public places, declaring businesses should decide for themselves what Covid-19 precautions to take on their properties. Many businesses have kept their own mask rules in place.

Police said a bank manager called police after Wright refused to wear a mask while inside, and then refused to leave the building when asked.

The police department released the officer’s body camera video footage. In the video, Wright can be seen standing in the middle of the bank’s lobby, surrounded by other customers, all of whom are wearing masks.

Wright told the officer she had come to the bank to make a withdrawal. The officer asked her to go outside or put on a mask. She refused

Apparently, if the business says you need to wear a mask - you need to wear a mask (even in Texas).

IF you won't leave, you are trespassing and can be arrested for that.

be careful out there and do what Christians do - "Obey the superior authorities" Rom 13.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 5:41 AM, Shawnster said:

Texas and Mississippi to lift mask mandates and roll back Covid restrictions

Yesterday I was watching the Houston Astros and Dodgers baseball game and the Astros ballpark was packed. It didn't look like anyone in the park was wearing a mask. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, Shawnster said:

The Organization has not mandated Christians wear masks.  Recommended, yes.  Mandated, no.  

So, like Lynn here said, the Organization will continue to recommend the best precautions be taken, and it's up to a mature Christian's conscience if they choose to follow the Slave's direction or reject it.  

Where did they say masks are recommended and not mandated? 

I do remember one letter saying it was up to the head of the household to decide on something and I can't remember the rest. 

Others I've talked to say we have to wear them. But there are many, including myself, who can only wear them for a little bit until they can't breathe in them and have to pull them down or take them completely off.  I hate being in this position because I don't want to be disobedient but I also don't want to pass out either. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

On 3/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, Shawnster said:

Edited by Trekkinginspace

To fix unwanted text that got pasted in.

5 hours ago, Trekkinginspace said:

The better question is where did they say masks are mandated? 

The Bible does not give the Slave the authority to mandate Christians wear masks.  The Slave doesn't go beyond what the scriptures direct. 

Let me se if I or someone else can find and share the previous directions we've received this last year.   

I do remember one letter saying it was up to the head of the household to decide on something and I can't remember the rest. 

And there you go.  If it's up to each family head, then it's not mandatory. 

Others I've talked to say we have to wear them.

We've all seen where people can hear the same announcement and interpret the direction differently.  Look at the recent announcement about sharing images from jw.org for example.

The Branch has frequently reminded us to obey the local government requirements. If the government mandates masks, then we obey that mandate. 

The Branch has never told us that we can do less than local government requirements and they have frequently recommended that we be cautious and do more than local government requirements.

Is that what you are asking about?

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Trekkinginspace said:

But there are many, including myself, who can only wear them for a little bit until they can't breathe in them and have to pull them down or take them completely off.  I hate being in this position because I don't want to be disobedient but I also don't want to pass out either. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Your comment made me wonder. I've heard several say this, that they can't breathe with a mask on. I'm wondering, is there a medical reason for this? When you go to the doctor and have your oxygen levels checked, are they within normal range?

23 hours ago, M.J. said:

Your comment made me wonder. I've heard several say this, that they can't breathe with a mask on. I'm wondering, is there a medical reason for this? When you go to the doctor and have your oxygen levels checked, are they within normal range?

If I am doing any physical work, I need to take it off to get some fresh air regularly.  If I am just sitting at my desk at work, I can wear it all day.

I think it depends on what you're doing while wearing it.

In the CO-VID Document for elders, it still recommends the wearing of masks.  And that is in the section about easing of governmental restrictions. 

When the weather was colder, wearing a mask wasn't a problem - even all day.  Now its getting hot, wearing it at work, doing a physical job, it getting uncomfortable.   So taking breaks, getting out in the fresh air for 5 mins every now and then really helps.

Or Las Vegas at 108°

But, I am in construction and when dealing with silicates, like cutting concrete or mixing and installing stucco, you need to wear an N95 mask per OSHA guidelines. There are more times when a person doing very physical activity is mandated to wear a mask, such as: painting, sanding, sweeping/ cleaning up silicate dust, use of certain chemicals etc.

So, if they are saying "no masks", they must be specifically saying it regarding COVID, eh.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

Or Las Vegas at 108°

But, I am in construction and when dealing with silicates, like cutting concrete or mixing and installing stucco, you need to wear an N95 mask per OSHA guidelines. There are more times when a person doing very physical activity is mandated to wear a mask, such as: painting, sanding, sweeping/ cleaning up silicate dust, use of certain chemicals etc.

So, if they are saying "no masks", they must be specifically saying it regarding COVID, eh.

Excellent point. It seems that some forget that many people wear masks regularly for their jobs... and have done for decades. Only Covid-Related mask wearing seems to have brought out all this impossibility of keeping one on when necessary. 🤨 

California will roll back the mask mandate this week with only 55% of the state population (12 years+) being fully vaccinated. There are still some local restrictions but basically the state will be on an honor system, you don't have to wear a mask and you don't have to prove you are vaccinated.

California will roll back the mask mandate this week with only 55% of the state population (12 years+) being fully vaccinated. There are still some local restrictions but basically the state will be on an honor system, you don't have to wear a mask and you don't have to prove you are vaccinated.

And they expect this to work?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Washington state where I live is lifting restrictions including no longer requiring masks on June 30th.  Already even though they have signs requiring masks at stores, a lot of people are shopping without them.  Also, when I was at Walmart yesterday a lot of the employees were not wearing masks.

Edited by JW2017

On 6/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Thesauron said:

And they expect this to work?

It’ll work for those who are vaccinated. And most of the people who refuse to get vaccinated were rarely wearing masks to start with lol it doesn’t make a big difference. 

And as someone in California, I’d say at least 75% people I see in stores or elsewhere are still wearing their masks. And 100% of employees are still wearing them, as far as I can tell. They are waiting until OSHA (occupational safety) approves of no masks to stop requiring them. 

Edited by califlorican