JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Greek/Hebrew Translations Sources (apps or websites)

Hey friends,

I'm curious to know if you have any go to sources (apps or websites) that offer Greek or Hebrew literal definitions, with the possible English alternatives. I understand the JW app and website offer the Interlinear translation, but I often have to copy the Greek word then Google it to even understand the pronunciation. Which is find I suppose, but always trying to streamline research. I love to hear a brother give a talk and highlight a literal definition, because it deepens my understanding personally.

I use e-Sword.

https://www.e-sword.net/

There are a good number of Bible translations available for e-Sword as well as dictionaries, many of them for free. The software itself is completely free. Besides, it supports user-made modules, so I have a lot of Bibles and dictionaries I made myself, such as the different NWT versions. With e-Sword you don't need to type Greek words, as it uses the well-known Strong system. This scholar assigned a number to every word in the Bible. So you just use the Strong number to search through all the dictionaries (Strong codes look like H3068 for Hebrew and G2424 for Greek). Most other Bible study software I know follows this same system.

I forgot to mention e-Sword is for Windows. There are versions for Mac, iPad and iPhone (which have a small price). For Android there is another software inspired by e-Sword and compatible with its modules (but considerably better in my opinion) which is called MySword: https://www.mysword.info/

Edited by carlos

2 hours ago, Dages said:

I use MySword, it's ok-ish, not very convenient but does the job

David, what would you change in MySword?

I like many things in that app, especially the interlinear view (the interlinear versions are not really interlinear in e-Sword, but they are in MySword). I also like to have Strong-coded Bibles in Hebrew and Greek, so that you only need to click on a word to have its definition pop up.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

David, what would you change in MySword?

I like many things in that app, especially the interlinear view (the interlinear versions are not really interlinear in e-Sword, but they are in MySword). I also like to have Strong-coded Bibles in Hebrew and Greek, so that you only need to click on a word to have its definition pop up.

The GUI is ugly.

For me, it varies on the Operating System that I use.  Windows, Ipad or Android.

I have several "King James" bibles with built-in Interlinear capabilities.  You select the scripture, it comes up with the words highlighted in English, touch the word you want and the Strong's concordance comes up on screen. It inclued various dictionaries and lexicons.  The hardest part is getting from one bible book to another.

For deeper research, I use Ray Green's "Hebrew-Greek English Bible".  It has all of the verses interlinear and has the Strong's numbers on the top line.  You have to go look them up (it is not automatic).  the downside is the small print, but it is digital and I can expand it.

I appreciate the help @carlos and everyone else. I wanted to let you guys know about the Equipd app made by a brother. I find that it's simpler to use compared to e-Sword and allows you to upload different translations. Equipd does not have a desktop version, only mobile and tablets and I believe apple specific. However, I'll still keep the e-Sword and learn it some more, as all this concordance, .ePub, and .BBLX files are new to me 😂