JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What specific statement, a sentence or two, has been most inspiring to you?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 634 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How much do you remember about a great talk?  Possibly just one statement?  I think it was Bro Herd at the 2019 Regional Convention when he said "If you take just one thing away from this talk, it should be this  .  .  ."  and he went on to his take-away key point.

One-liners are easier to remember.  What's your favorite or most inspiring?  One I love is from the movie  The Joy of Jehovah Is Your Stronghold:

Did you imagine that you could succeed without Jehovah's blessing?

What's your 'keeper'?

In my case, a sentence is a scripture t.  It is a sentence that Jesus said.  It sums up my life view.

Luke 12:15..."“Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed, because even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses.

Bro Mark Noumair Gilead graduation parts :

I love the Father 

The Bow 

Will you dance with me 

Among many other Gilead graduation meeting parts. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

"one faithful Witness + Jehovah = an overwhelming majority." 

Many French friends know this sentence because it was said during a convention from an incredible speaker : Betty George (not sure about the orthograph). He is very talented and has a lovely Quebec + Haiti accent... we aren't used to this combo in France (especially his way to talk is like... an evangelical pastor? it feels unnatural for a JW speaker but it's in fact refreshing).

Also, yesterday, we had a visitor speaker and he had a very interesting sentence in his talk (81).

"One can choose an Easy life... or an Interesting Life... And we JWs, we have a very interesting life" :D 

The last Regional before lockdown, the Final Talk was discussing times when God's people were outnumbered dramatically. There was a line in that talk I always liked:

"Brothers, the ratio of non-witnesses to JW's when GT starts will be around 850 to 1. Those are the kind of odds God can work with."

From a past Assembly or Convention:

"Jehovah provides his people with a free pass to paradise:  P.rayer A.ssociation S.acred Service and S.tudy= P.A.S.S."

:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I'm still living by this one and love it:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

So far so good. I see the Slave plans along this same idea.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

There are two quotes from Governing Body that i have always appreciated!

1980 Brother Albert Schroeder..."We have preached the Good News,  Now we need to Teach it."

Brother Samuel Herd...." Do what you can when you can."

Please forgive me if I misspelled The first Brother's last name.   🙂

3 minutes ago, A fellow servant said:

1980 Brother Albert Schroeder..."We have preached the Good News,  Now we need to Teach it."

Please forgive me if I misspelled The first Brother's last name.   🙂

I remember Bro Schroeder from the time I was a temporary worker at Brooklyn Bethel 1984.  He was the only member of the Governing Body that was a father. He named his son Judah Ben.  

13 hours ago, Doug said:

I remember Bro Schroeder from the time I was a temporary worker at Brooklyn Bethel 1984.  He was the only member of the Governing Body that was a father. He named his son Judah Ben.  

Doug - I just attended pioneer school with Judah ben......... ben means 'son of'.... his Love of Jehovah and  his Bible knowledge were apparent

i too enjoyed bro Schroeder's talks... back in the day - i think he was the one who said

'i dont need to have my way, i would just like to have my say' -- something that stuck with me in many mtgs with appointed brothers

(we all deserved the honor 'to speak our mind' and then afterward have the 'unity of agreement' )

I liked br Franz 'bible reading' in sept '85 .... i thought he misread a scripture in hebrews..... he was blind by the way

but he commented how 'our bible' may have had different words but he was quoting Byington

made me realize that sometimes a translation has a single different word that clarifies the message

probably one of my favorite things when we got the app that let us see multiple translations

I will always remember a brother from one of our videos (I forget which one, I think it was 'faith in action')

but he said something along the lines of "get those words off the page and into your heart" 

Edited by bear_about

Hebrews 11:1

~ Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen. ~

For me it was:

Ponder over these things; be absorbed in them, so that your advancement may be plainly seen by all people. - 1Tim 4:15

To be absorbed in the truth is the only way we should do the truth. Be diligent and whole hearted in the ministry. Be stuck right in the middle of the congregation. Be interested in becoming a better teacher. Embrace counsel and at all times uphold Jehovah's standards. Also love the brothers so much you would die for them. If you live and breathe the truth, that will act as the best protection you could wish for in this rotten old system.

Edited by Cool Cat

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

11 hours ago, DarinS said:

Doug - I just attended pioneer school with Judah ben......... ben means 'son of'.... his Love of Jehovah and  his Bible knowledge were apparent

My goodness  .   .   .  very cool !

When I was a temp worker, Judah Ben was about 26 years of age and engaged or already married.  All we knew was that his father-in-law owned a car dealership  .  .  lol.

Did Judah have children?

Years ago at an assembly in San Diego, Br Guy Pierce said "everytime you stand at someone's door with the good news, that time is that person's moment to shine, that moment in their entire life to make a reply to the Most High Sovereign in the universe. It's between them and Jehovah and you have been used to make that possible."

Stuck with me all these years. Their response good or bad, is not to you, it's to Jehovah. Really the most important moment in a human's life to have a JW stand at their door. Really brought home how important our preaching work is now in whatever form it comes in. So today, everytime a person opens up one of our letters, they have a decision to make, a reply to make to Jeh.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:27 PM, bear_about said:

I will always remember a brother from one of our videos (I forget which one, I think it was 'faith in action')

but he said something along the lines of "get those words off the page and into your heart" 

I guess that's Br Harold King.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, bear_about said:

Brother Harold King! Love his story 

On 6/15/2021 at 5:05 AM, Doug said:

My goodness  .   .   .  very cool !

When I was a temp worker, Judah Ben was about 26 years of age and engaged or already married.  All we knew was that his father-in-law owned a car dealership  .  .  lol.

Did Judah have children?

Judah married a lovely sister named Amber, they didnt have children. Both are working hard serving and doing great work in Jehovah's org. A few years ago they briefly joined our congregation here in England. They then moved on to live in Hongkong. I don't have any more information after that.