JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

When will the Pandemic officially be over?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 852 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

What is the process or criteria to officially declare the pandemic is over?

Who determines when it is over?

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2021/03/20/what-deterrmines-when-pandemic-ends-

This article predicts the pandemic could be officially declared over early next year, but the official process is a little nebulous

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Probably when Covid-19 deaths come down to levels similar to the flu. The flu kills, on average, just under 100 people per day in the United States. Society accepts this as normal. 

Covid-19 is much more contagious, but the vaccines approved for use in the USA, especially the mRNA vaccines, are performing just awesome!

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Needed to be more specific

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Many scientists (~89% poll by Nature) are already expecting the current COVID-19 virus will go an endemic phase—that is, it will simply circulate and never be actually eradicated. The U.S. is working on for edible medicine for curing COVID-19 patients already in preparation of this.

Some day, we will eventually just have to live on without masks and social distancings, and accept COVID-19 as a virus similar to flu and common cold. Get vaccinated yearly, and if you do get caught, just go to a hospital to get prescriptions.

The problem may be when to declare it as an endemic, which I personally do not see it as early next year.

Edited by Hinata

CDC says the vaccine only last 6 months to a 1 year🤷🏾‍♀️ Then what🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️They themselves don’t know I’m fully vaccinated cause I’m a nurse but will not be getting anymore covid vaccine 

48 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The flu kills, on average, just under 100 people per day. Society accepts this as normal. 

World wide?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Probably when Covid-19 deaths come down to levels similar to the flu. The flu kills, on average, just under 100 people per day in the United States. Society accepts this as normal. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/02/how-know-when-pandemic-over/618122/

This article agrees with that criteria.

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's a very imperfect/limited view then, because according to this criteria pandemic in Australia is over and done with 

Example: In 2017 there were 1,255 deaths due to influenza, recording a standardised death rate of 3.9 per 100,000 persons.

Deaths due to Covid-19 throughout pandemic (more then one year) 910. 

We cannot measure pandemic by statistics alone,  but need to include the indirect impact on a population as well.

The pandemic is still impacting Australia therefore it is not over yet. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Pandemics usually last 3-5 years. And it is NOT over yet!! https://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-variant-infecting-mounting-number-people-rural-kansas/story?id=78375257&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

Do not let  Satan's world deceive us too.

Edited by Dustparticle

8 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

We cannot measure pandemic by statistics alone,

Then what is the official definition that the pandemic is over? Who determines when the global pandemic is over? What are they looking for? Is it a worldwide announcement?  

The pandemic was raging before it was "officially declared" a pandemic

and it will still be raging after it is "officially declared" not a pandemic.

"Official declarations" do not determine when pandemics begin or end--not in today's ridiculously interconnected world.

That is determined by the virulence of the virus.

IMHO, of course. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

"Official declarations" do not determine when pandemics begin or end

Okay, however I'm trying to understand what determines it is over. When does someone make an official announcement that the world is not in a pandemic? 

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Okay, however I'm trying to understand what determines it is over. When does someone make an official announcement that the world is not in a pandemic? 

Here in the USA, it will fizzle out quietly as infections and deaths go down and life gets back to normal and the news stops reporting on it constantly. One day, we'll here that the WHO declares it over, and we'll be like "oh I thought it was over a while ago".

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

Pandemics usually last 3-5 years. And it is NOT over yet!! https://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-variant-infecting-mounting-number-people-rural-kansas/story?id=78375257&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

Do not let  Satan's world deceive us too.

^ This is true. While it may seem quiet for some of us now thanks to the super awesome vaccine rollout, other nations are suffering tremendously. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Health Agency (WHA) are working on it.

https://www.who.int/news/item/19-05-2021-world-health-assembly-to-focus-on-ending-covid-19-pandemic-and-preparing-for-next-one

I can't help but wonder if the WHA team is referred to as WHAT.

So we have WHO and WHAT, we just need WHEN...🤣

I would imagine that most of the worlds population would need to be fully vaccinated to reach a herd immunity threshold of 70% - 85% as they state, before even considering to declare the pandemic over. We aren’t there yet.

According to this website, 21.6% of the world have received the the first dose of vaccine as of June 19th, and for fully vaccinated people we are at 9.8%.

If you go down where it says “Country by Country data on COVID-19 vaccinations”  and select World and it will show your graphs of where we are at.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Edited by Lewis

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Then what is the official definition that the pandemic is over? Who determines when the global pandemic is over? What are they looking for? Is it a worldwide announcement?  

The only global health organization I can think of is the United Nations Organization World Health Organization 

Or, uno who

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Health Agency (WHA) are working on it.

https://www.who.int/news/item/19-05-2021-world-health-assembly-to-focus-on-ending-covid-19-pandemic-and-preparing-for-next-one

I can't help but wonder if the WHA team is referred to as WHAT.

So we have WHO and WHAT, we just need WHEN...🤣

You always make me laugh with your quick wit! 😂😂

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

World Health Endemic News

Perfect! That's what I was looking for 🤣

It's over for me when we can go door to door again. Although, with this heat wave - I'm ok with waiting a little longer.  :wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

People decide... (and this is reinforced by governments as well) 

When people feel safe enough to travel, to resume certain activities then pandemic is over. 
Until then, no announcement alone or statistic will replace that. 
It’s like a shop being renovated and closed for business during that period. When renovation is over and shop opens up, customers return and they can rightly say that renovation is over, all is back to normal. 
The world is still not returning to “normal” many live under different levels of restrictions... for example 

Can you jump on the plane and visit me in Australia? No! Borders are closed here. 

So, when we return to Kingdom Halls, on the carts, international travel and borders open up ...etc pandemic can be officially proclaimed over but like I said that announcement must be backed up by reality on the ground and how people feel about it. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

19 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

People decide

The World Health Organization officially declared the Pandemic, so I assume the WHO will be the organization that officially declares when it is over. I'm interested in the metrics they will use to make that decision. Theoretically there should be data that could be monitored to forecast when they will make that announcement.