JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Was It Designed? The Arctic Ground Squirrel’s Brain

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1016 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

17 minutes ago, Br. Ice said:

This video really had me wanting more. I was waiting to hear the application, or what it fortifies our faith in. — Restore memory loss in the future, resurrect us with our memories (or what makes us who we are)... 

Makes me continue to ponder on the state of the dead and the nature of Jehovah's resurrection.

We know the soul isn't immortal and is concious of nothing, but science also says energy can't be destroyed, only changed in form. And the mind, the self, is "energy" in the brain. When the brain dies the energy can no longer be "expressed" in a living concious form, and we call this death, but the energy from that scientific law, still "exists".

Perhaps when Jehovah raises the dead, or throws people into Gehenna, it's like this squirrel brain in a sense, the memories are "somewhere" stored in some energy that may still exist in the universe in a sleeping state, and Jehovah can take this non-concious energy and place it back into a living body/brain where it becomes "concious" again, as a person bound to a functioning body. Whereas, Gehenna is Jehovah destroying the energy so it is truly gone (something that can't be done naturally via forces or people in the universe). This ensuring the resurrected are not just "clones" with the same memories, but truly are the same "being", restored to life.

Edited by EccentricM

8 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Makes me continue to ponder on the state of the dead and the nature of Jehovah's resurrection.

We know the soul isn't immortal and is concious of nothing, but science also says energy can't be destroyed, only changed in form. And the mind, the self, is "energy" in the brain. When the brain dies the energy can no longer be "expressed" in a living concious form, and we call this death, but the energy from that scientific law, still "exists".

Perhaps when Jehovah raises the dead, or throws people into Gehenna, it's like this squirrel brain in a sense, the memories are "somewhere" stored in some energy that may still exist in the universe in a sleeping state, and Jehovah can take this non-concious energy and place it back into a living body/brain where it becomes "concious" again, as a person bound to a functioning body. Whereas, Gehenna is Jehovah destroying the energy so it is truly gone (something that can't be done naturally via forces or people in the universe). This ensuring the resurrected are not just "clones" with the same memories, but truly are the same "being", restored to life.

That's a kind of scientific way to try to explain Ps 146:4 + Eccl 12:7?

In a sense we are all clones already ... since our cells are replaced every few years.

Look at it this way:

When a motor in a car quits working and needs major repair it can either be replaced or rebuilt. If it is replaced, even if the replacement engine has been rebuilt, many refer to this as putting a "new" engine in the car.

However, even if all the parts of a motor are replace except the actual engine block (and I mean everything including the cylinder sleeves) most people will say they rebuilt the motor ... so, exactly what is the motor? and engine bock alone is not a motor without all those other parts.

In either event, once the motor work is completed the car is ready to be used - some even say they have a "new car" with how good it runs.

So, if Jehovah resurrects a person does it really matter if they are replaced or rebuilt? The person will be alive and known as the person they were before they died.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 7/15/2021 at 7:04 AM, Skye said:

Was It Designed? The Arctic Ground Squirrel’s Brain
https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=share&wtlocale=E&lank=docid-502200113_1_VIDEO

What happens to this squirrel every 2 weeks says a LOT about our Creator’s power to resurrect, and restore the former personality and (good) memories that the dead ones had. Definitely….designed!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful narration and graphics!! 

Thank you so much for bringing this fantastic little video to my attention! I've used it twice with my students this week, they loved it, especially the implications for the resurrection. Firstly I played the video on the stars from the convention, we're none of us lost to Jehovah, then I followed up with this. It's the perfect combination to explain we will come back with our memories intact, we will still be us! 

16 minutes ago, zauser said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but was that the first time we’ve had a sister narrate one of our videos?

The other videos are also done by the same sister. But if these are the first videos fully narrated by a sister I don't know. 

On 7/14/2021 at 4:22 PM, EccentricM said:

I found myself thinking of the law of conservation of energy, as well.  It is an interesting possible application here.