JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The world has changed since 1914

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 943 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

OK - this is on jw.org alright ... but why the thread? What are we supposed to discuss about it?

Or was this just a tweet :wall:

Wow, I thought it would be upbuilding to discuss the video. Maybe not…

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Just now, *Jack* said:

Yes, it should be upbuilding .... that should have been included in the OP

JWT has asked us not to just post a link without explaining why it was posted ... that is all

Thank You for posting it -  it is a "video"  :thumbsup:

It is only 1:10 long but very good graphics with scriptures - short but powerful 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

40 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

If you note the video address it is specific to the new book.  At the end of the name it is .../pub-lffv_322_video

This indicates it is for the Enjoy Life Forever book, lesson 32, second video.  Some of the videos in other lessons are the same as (or shortened versions) of regular videos we already use, like "Why Study The Bible".  But they have had the URL names adjusted so they show in the book and identify the appropriate less and video number.  Some are made just for the book and some are adapted from our other video collections.

There are two videos on 1914 and the end times in this lesson and they are both well worth watching.  There is another thread here where someone had a Bible Student watch the video and they were upset by its realism.  So prepare well.

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

We are striving to have people do more than just post a link.  We are encouraging people to actually start a conversation. Why are you posting the link?  What was it about the link you found interesting or wanted to highlight?  What was in the link that motivated you to share the link with others? 

And not just this link, but any link.  News articles, videos, cartoons, etc... 

13 hours ago, *Jack* said:

@Qapla sorry my brother. I read your message wrong and overreacted. My apologies.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:57 AM, jwhess said:

If you note the video address it is specific to the new book.  At the end of the name it is .../pub-lffv_322_video

This indicates it is for the Enjoy Life Forever book, lesson 32, second video.  Some of the videos in other lessons are the same as (or shortened versions) of regular videos we already use, like "Why Study The Bible".  But they have had the URL names adjusted so they show in the book and identify the appropriate less and video number.  Some are made just for the book and some are adapted from our other video collections.

There are two videos on 1914 and the end times in this lesson and they are both well worth watching.  There is another thread here where someone had a Bible Student watch the video and they were upset by its realism.  So prepare well.

I was soooooooooooo happy to see this video being posted this week in portuguese! Because one of my students has reached lesson #32 where this is there! We were able to see it in our language. This and the video from the 7 times - kingdom. Both new videos but from same lesson.

This was a precious gift from Jehovah for us.

Thank you Jehovah!! Perfect timming as always! ❤️ 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:00 AM, Hinata said:

I never knew that the number 322 indicated second video of lesson 32. Good attention brother. Thank you.

Yes! I have studyed that lesson today 😉 with a student. She loved the new videos specialy in portuguese!!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

14 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

To my opinion we do not need to get very deep into the seven times of Daniel. The year 1914 can stand on its own. Many have recognized that the year 1914 was the turning point of our modern history.

Yes, but only the JW's (Or the Bible Students Association) were warning it would be a turning point *before* it came. Our interpretation of the Seven Times is unique in that it's verifiable that we saw it coming. One of the few modern prophecies we expected, rather than identified after it began.

9 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

Yes, but only the JW's (Or the Bible Students Association) were warning it would be a turning point *before* it came. Our interpretation of the Seven Times is unique in that it's verifiable that we saw it coming. One of the few modern prophecies we expected, rather than identified after it began.

That is true and we both right on this too. People might say that there no year 1914 in not the Bible. Yet, what they fell to recognize that events happened in the Bible on a mark year were very important too. Hence, Jesus died for our sins in 33CE. 

2 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

Many have recognized that the year 1914 was the turning point of our modern history.

I took a uni class on history once and the book mentioned 1914. Significantly on a chapter title. Of course it does not deal it from a spiritual viewpoint but from how everything secular how changed in that year. At the end of semester we did a small essay and I wrote about (you guessed) the significance of the year 1914. I got pretty good results and I even briefly mentioned how our "Bible Students" have told that this year was going to be a world changing time for everyone.

Edited by Hinata

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, Thomas Walker said:

This is incorrect. 1914 was already identified as a key date in history by others before it arrived.

end in 1914 suggested before Russell: g94 11/8 10; jv 134

Edited by M.J.

*** g94 11/8 p. 10 The Real Significance of 1914 ***

In 1875, Nelson H. Barbour wrote in his magazine Herald of the Morning that 1914 marked the end of a period that Jesus called “the appointed times of the nations.”

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=101994802&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=10

*** jv chap. 10 p. 134 Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth ***

As early as 1823, John A. Brown, whose work was published in London, England, calculated the “seven times” of Daniel chapter 4 to be 2,520 years in length. But he did not clearly discern the date with which the prophetic time period began or when it would end. He did, however, connect these “seven times” with the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24. In 1844, E. B. Elliott, a British clergyman, drew attention to 1914 as a possible date for the end of the “seven times” of Daniel, but he also set out an alternate view that pointed to the time of the French Revolution. Robert Seeley, of London, in 1849, handled the matter in a similar manner.

At least by 1870, a publication edited by Joseph Seiss and associates and printed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was setting out calculations that pointed to 1914 as a significant date, even though the reasoning it contained was based on chronology that C. T. Russell later rejected.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1101993012&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=67

10 hours ago, M.J. said:

1914 was already identified as a key date in history by others before it arrived.

This is actually a point I like to use in service, that 1914 is not an exclusive date made up only by JW's. Other Bible readers also started to discern the same date before it arrived.

I took out group yesterday and played this video and encouraged zeal for ministry through telephone witnessing and letter writing why?because we still have angelic support regardless of preaching and teaching methods
Rev. 14:6,7
And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, and he had everlasting good news to declare to those who dwell on the earth, to every nation and tribe and tongue and people. 7 He was saying in a loud voice: “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of judgment by him has arrived, so worship the One who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and the springs of water.

Agape