JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thursday, November 4 Continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude.​—Eph. 4:23.

Thursday, November 4

Continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude.—Eph. 4:23.

All of us need to ask ourselves, ‘Are the changes I am making to become a Christian only skin-deep, or am I truly becoming a Christian deep within?’ The difference is important. In his words recorded at Matthew 12:43-45, Jesus indicated what needs to be done. The idea behind those words highlights this important truth: It is not enough to get rid of wrong thoughts; we need to fill the void with godly thinking. Is it possible to change our basic inclinations or who we really are inside? God’s Word answers: “Put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.” (Eph. 4:24) Yes, it is possible to change what we are inside, but it is not easy to do. We need to do more than just suppress wrong desires and actions. We need to change our “dominant mental attitude.” That involves changing our desires, our tendencies, and our motivations. This requires continuous action. w19.06 9-10 ¶6-7

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Every year people make New Years Resolutions to try and better themselves. Most usually give up on them within a short period of time, why? Their motivation/efforts are only "skin deep." Today's text reminds us that real change is possible to improve ourselves, but it must come from deep within us and we need to put in 'continuous effort.'

18 hours ago, Anniebea said:

Yes, it is possible to change what we are inside, but it is not easy to do. We need to do more than just suppress wrong desires and actions. We need to change our “dominant mental attitude.” That involves changing our desires, our tendencies, and our motivations. This requires continuous action. w19.06 9-10 ¶6-7

I wonder if this applies to brothers and sisters with homosexual tendencies or who claim outright to be non-practicing gay or lesbian Christians?

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

5 hours ago, minister159 said:

I wonder if this applies to brothers and sisters with homosexual tendencies or who claim outright to be non-practicing gay or lesbian Christians?

Interesting thought

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

As Christians we would not want to identify with elements of this system of things, especially elements that are clearly opposite God's will.  

A repentant pedophile would not identify as a non practicing pedophile.  A reformed theif wouldn't identify as a non practicing theif. 

Homosexuality is condemned based upon conduct.  A Christian fighting homosexual urges is living a Christian lifestyle, not a homosexual lifestyle. 

19 hours ago, Shawnster said:

As Christians we would not want to identify with elements of this system of things, especially elements that are clearly opposite God's will.  

A repentant pedophile would not identify as a non practicing pedophile.  A reformed theif wouldn't identify as a non practicing theif. 

Homosexuality is condemned based upon conduct.  A Christian fighting homosexual urges is living a Christian lifestyle, not a homosexual lifestyle. 

Interesting thought. I was working in field service a few years ago with a brother in my service group who's single and 40ish, and he came out and told me he was "gay." He's active and in good standing in the congregation. Apparently, he feels that even though he doesn't act on any homosexual tendencies or desires, or is non-practicing as I put it, he's still "gay" or homosexual.

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

Interesting thought. I was working in field service a few years ago with a brother in my service group who's single and 40ish, and he came out and told me he was "gay." He's active and in good standing in the congregation. Apparently, he feels that even though he doesn't act on any homosexual tendencies or desires, or is non-practicing as I put it, he's still "gay" or homosexual.

It's sad that some Witnesses have adopted these worldly terms.  These are not Jehovah's terms. They are not his words used to describe anyone, let alone his people. 

Why is it that some Christians allow the world to define them? 

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

It's sad that some Witnesses have adopted these worldly terms.  These are not Jehovah's terms. They are not his words used to describe anyone, let alone his people. 

Why is it that some Christians allow the world to define them? 

I wonder how else would someone of that persuasion describe themselves?  If someone wanted to be completely honest about, perhaps, why they are not interested in marriage or to share their background or struggles with others - as we often do - what would they say?  "Homosexual" is not in the Bible, either.

I guess I don't find the words "gay" or "lesbian" as particularly worldly... it's just a descriptor, isn't it..? :shrugs:

7 hours ago, minister159 said:

I was working in field service a few years ago with a brother in my service group who's single and 40ish, and he came out and told me he was "gay." He's active and in good standing in the congregation. Apparently, he feels that even though he doesn't act on any homosexual tendencies or desires, or is non-practicing as I put it, he's still "gay" or homosexual.

From w74 8/15 pp 486-489  "Sometimes married or single men will tell counselors that they are no longer homosexuals since they have left off actual physical contact with others. But they should examine themselves honestly and fairly. The New Encyclopedia Britannica defines a homosexual as 'a person who in fantasy or reality habitually prefers sexual relations with a person of the same sex'. Thus a male who regularly harbors desires for other males is yet a homosexual in his heart.

In some cases, owing to the nature of a person's past, it is conceivable that the total emotional, physical and social effects of homosexuality will not be wiped out for many years, maybe not ever in this present system of things".

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It seems that , despite having no actual relations, a person can still fit the clinical definition of a homosexual or bi-sexual.

I believe a person who abstains from alcohol would still think of themselves as an alcoholic, if that was their problem.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, Anniebea said:

Thursday, November 4

Continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude.—Eph. 4:23.

Is it possible to change our basic inclinations or who we really are inside? God’s Word answers: “Put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.” (Eph. 4:24) Yes, it is possible to change what we are inside, but it is not easy to do. We need to do more than just suppress wrong desires and actions. We need to change our “dominant mental attitude.” That involves changing our desires, our tendencies, and our motivations. This requires continuous action. w19.06 9-10 ¶6-7

I appreciated the answer that this commentary gave. Yes, although difficult it can be done. Using God's word we can successfully change the ungodly behaviors we had when part of the world. We put on the new personality that conforms to God's standards. I appreciate this very much

1 Cor. 6:11 And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

So yes, we can! 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

15 hours ago, Hope said:

"Homosexual" is not in the Bible, either.

It is now.  Our 2013 translation introduces the word at 1 Cor. 6:9.   I thought it very bold of the FDS to use the word.  

Our 1984 translation used "men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men."

It seems the 2013 translation committee didn't want to leave any doubt or debate as to what Corinthians was referring to.  Sex between males.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

It is now.  Our 2013 translation introduces the word at 1 Cor. 6:9.   I thought it very bold of the FDS to use the word.  

Our 1984 translation used "men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men."

It seems the 2013 translation committee didn't want to leave any doubt or debate as to what Corinthians was referring to.  Sex between males.

Ahh.. how did I miss that?  🤔

Anyway, "gay" or "lesbian" are the less formal terms for such persuasions, even if the person is no longer living that way. I don't believe they're considered offensive, are they? 🤷🏽‍♀️

3 hours ago, Hope said:

Anyway, "gay" or "lesbian" are the less formal terms for such persuasions, even if the person is no longer living that way. I don't believe they're considered offensive, are they? 🤷🏽‍♀️

I don't believe those labels are offensive to that community at all.   As far as we know, it may have been themselves who coined those terms.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, minister159 said:

That is probably the way that he still feel, it is like being fat and loosing weight, everyone says great you look but  you don't see that all  you see is that same of fat person.  That being said that is how that brother feels, it is going to take Jehovah to help him get through this but at least he is doing his best to serve Jehovah.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, Shawnster said:

A repentant pedophile would not identify as a non practicing pedophile.  A reformed thief wouldn't identify as a non practicing thief. 

Excellent point. I think it bears repeating. We are not a medical community, we are just average people using average vocabulary. Why would someone want to identify themselves as homosexual if that is something that they are trying to fight against? If someone has a bad temper, or maybe even hits others, would they want to promote that label of themselves in front of others?  We all recently heard a talk about how our life is composed of many different photographs or snapshots. Some we may be embarrassed of, but Jehovah only looks at, and shows off the good pictures, just as any proud parent would do. A proud parent wouldn't even think of holding on to a picture that puts their child in a negative light. 'Let sexual immorality and every sort of uncleanness or greediness not even be mentioned among you, just as is proper for holy people" - Ephesians 5:3

ps. On the other hand, for children who are naïve and immature, they may think it's funny or innocent to show other people bad pictures of themselves... 

Edited by M.J.