JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2022 Governing Body Update #2

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 679 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, LakerDad78 said:

We need to be careful about overreacting. I say that because in the past, the same thing was said by many of our brothers

I like to keep Jesus words in mind 

Mark 13: 35 Keep on the watch, therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or before dawn or early in the morning,  36 in order that when he comes suddenly, he does not find you sleeping.  37 But what I say to you, I say to all: Keep on the watch.”

51 minutes ago, booboo said:

I like to keep Jesus words in mind 

Mark 13: 35 Keep on the watch, therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or before dawn or early in the morning,  36 in order that when he comes suddenly, he does not find you sleeping.  37 But what I say to you, I say to all: Keep on the watch.”

This is very wise. Like brother Morris said when he told his kids back in the 70’s: look, this thing could go on for another 20 years. We just have to keep on the watch and it will come when it comes. 

On 3/13/2022 at 4:19 AM, New World Explorer said:

Well, if we were living in 1967 in the final part of the last days, therefore what he said that we are living in the last days of the last days makes even more sense. We are extremely close now, I mean we can smell Paradise. My worry is not “overreacting to it” but to make sure that I am ready for GT, and coming out faithfully from the greatest tribulation ever, and If I have to wait bit longer for GT to come, may Jehovah supply me with endurance.

And that is the point…. It’s much more dangerous to not get the sense then to “overreact”. If your job is to be a watchman for a building, what is worse: overreacting to a sound you hear and checking to see what it is, only to find out it’s nothing … OR is it worse to hear something and say “I’ve heard that before, no need to overreact or check in on it”… Keeping on the watch and being alert will always work out for our good. As Bro Sanderson mentioned after commenting on the war in Ukraine NOW is the time to keep on the watch CONTINUALLY… otherwise, that day may catch us by surprise - 1 Thessalonians 5:4

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

If your job is to be a watchman for a building, what is worse: overreacting to a sound you hear and checking to see what it is, only to find out it’s nothing … OR is it worse to hear something and say “I’ve heard that before, no need to overreact or check in on it”… Keeping on the watch and being alert will always work out for our good.

Excellent point

16 hours ago, Anthony said:

It’s much more dangerous to not get the sense then to “overreact”.

Actually both are dangerous. Not to get the sense can be deadly. But being continuously excited claiming "this is it" with every world event is tiresome and in the end can disappoint us. So IMO it's better to keep a balanced approach. Keep on the watch, always ready, but without overreacting. :)

7 hours ago, carlos said:

Actually both are dangerous. Not to get the sense can be deadly. But being continuously excited claiming "this is it" with every world event is tiresome and in the end can disappoint us. So IMO it's better to keep a balanced approach. Keep on the watch, always ready, but without overreacting. :)

We had a watchtower article about this some years ago … and based on that watchtower, I can’t say I agree with your statement. Keeping on the watch and staying alert is bound to lead to disappointments from time to time, it happened with the apostles, the first century Christians and with our brothers in the 1900s. I don’t think that is dangerous, what’s dangerous is becoming cynical and trying to avoid “overreacting” for fear of being disappointed. However, being dogmatic, is another point entirely…..But I get where you are coming from and respect your opinion :) …. 

please read this when you get a chance …especially the box , may change your point of view, then again maybe it won’t, either way all good 😊. For me personally, when I read this,  the message is pretty clear… but that’s just me, we all are entitled to our own opinion as long as we stay alert 🤷🏾‍♂️

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2003003?q=keep+on+the+watch&p=par

Edited by Anthony

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

We had a watchtower article about this some years ago … and based on that watchtower, I can’t say I agree with your statement. Keeping on the watch and staying alert is bound to lead to disappointments from time to time, it happened with the apostles, the first century Christians and with our brothers in the 1900s. I don’t think that is dangerous, what’s dangerous is becoming cynical and trying to avoid “overreacting” for fear of being disappointed. However, being dogmatic, is another point entirely…..But I get where you are coming from and respect your opinion :) …. 

please read this when you get a chance …especially the box , may change your point of view, then again maybe it won’t, either way all good 😊. For me personally, when I read this,  the message is pretty clear… but that’s just me, we all are entitled to our own opinion as long as we stay alert 🤷🏾‍♂️

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2003003?q=keep+on+the+watch&p=par

The "box" you mentioned:

Imagine that a watchman suspects that a thief is planning to burgle the premises he is guarding. When night falls, the watchman listens intently for any noise that might betray the presence of the burglar. Hour after hour he strains his ears and eyes. It is easy to see how he could be deceived by a false alarm—the sound of a gust of wind in the trees or a cat knocking something over.—Luke 12:39, 40.

Something similar can happen to those who are “eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:7) The apostles thought that Jesus would ‘restore the kingdom to Israel’ soon after his resurrection. (Acts 1:6) Years later, Christians in Thessalonica had to be reminded that Jesus’ presence was some time in the future. (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 8) Still, false alarms about the day of Jehovah did not make those early followers of Jesus abandon the path leading off into life.—Matthew 7:13.

In our day, disappointment over seeming delays in the coming of the end of this system of things should not cause us to drop our guard. An alert watchman may be deceived by a false alarm, yet he had better keep on the watch! That is his job. It is the same with Christians.

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

in our day, disappointment over seeming delays in the coming of the end of this system of things should not cause us to drop our guard. An alert watchman may be deceived by a false alarm, yet he had better keep on the watch! That is his job. It is the same with Christians.

Good reminders, but notice the Watchman shouldn't "sound" the alarm with every creaky branch noise nor the wind movement.  Be on the watch always, but try not to sound "false" alarms (the old story about 'crying wolf').

Jehovah and Jesus has appointed a Faithful Steward to be our "watchman" and we wait for his alarm.

7 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Good reminders, but notice the Watchman shouldn't "sound" the alarm with every creaky branch noise nor the wind movement.  Be on the watch always, but try not to sound "false" alarms (the old story about 'crying wolf').

Jehovah and Jesus has appointed a Faithful Steward to be our "watchman" and we wait for his alarm.

Sure. The FDS is the authorized watchman. 

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

That really only applies if others are stating or sounding the alarm that this is it.

To wonder and ask about something happening is not really the same. It’s not sounding any alarm. It’s keeping on the watch and asking how vr others feel. 
It’s more like speaking to the other person in the watchtower saying “did you hear something?” Before sounding any general alarm to the masses. 
Just happens there are a few on duty here asking did you hear something?. 😊

Edited by Mykyl

12 hours ago, Anthony said:

I remember a convention talk where that same illustration was used. That's a good point. :)

Yet I am not saying one should not keep on the watch. I am saying the opposite, we do need to keep on the watch. But I am concerned when I see some friends stating with conviction that this will be our last Memorial. Maybe it will, or maybe not. I have seen some friends say this year after year, Memorial after Memorial. It must be disheartening to be always excited just to be disappointed time after time. And I have seen some make some very stupid decisions because they were convinced that was it. That's the opposite of what the Slave does. They keep planning, and when the end comes, let it come.

If this happens to be our last Memorial, I am ready. And if the GT doesn't start yet, I am ready too. :)

2 hours ago, Mykyl said:

To wonder and ask about something happening is not really the same. It’s not sounding any alarm. It’s keeping on the watch and asking how vr others feel. 

Agreed, asking and trying to guess how things will develop is a good way to keep awake. All things with balance. :)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

If this happens to be our last Memorial, I am ready. And if the GT doesn't start yet, I am ready too. :)

Agreed, asking and trying to guess how things will develop is a good way to keep awake. All things with balance. :)

This is a good test - isn't it. Am I "on the watch" or am I on such a high alert tha I can not last it through the night - regardless of how long that night is?

Yes, be on the watch and ready, but not frazzled and jumping at every sound. No one wants a watchman that keeps everyone up all night sounding a constant alarm. I'm glad the slave is fatihful and DISCREET.

Remember this is a marathon and not a sprint -> 

It is not a short race in which a person has to run as fast as possible to win And it is not like a jog in which a person runs slowly and sometimes even stops. Instead, it is like a marathon. A marathon runner has to have endurance to keep running all the way to the end. The apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in Corinth: “Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may attain it.”—1 Corinthians 9:24.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402013202#h=8

There is a balance.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

I didn’t read that in the article, can you point that out please?  and the quote you mentioned referenced us as Christians, not the FDS… of course again, we don’t want to be dogmatic, or run ahead of the organization, but this admonition is directed to all of us, not just the faithful slave… as Bro Morris mentioned at the annual meeting, Jesus said, what I say to you (his apostles) I say to ALL … keep on the watch! 

9 hours ago, carlos said:

I remember a convention talk where that same illustration was used. That's a good point. :)

Yet I am not saying one should not keep on the watch. I am saying the opposite, we do need to keep on the watch. But I am concerned when I see some friends stating with conviction that this will be our last Memorial. Maybe it will, or maybe not. I have seen some friends say this year after year, Memorial after Memorial. It must be disheartening to be always excited just to be disappointed time after time. And I have seen some make some very stupid decisions because they were convinced that was it. That's the opposite of what the Slave does. They keep planning, and when the end comes, let it come.

My comments were not in reference to anyone saying with any type of conviction that this will be the last memorial. I must have missed that, sorry. That would be pretty dogmatic and presumptuous to say. Now saying it COULD be our last memorial, is ok of course. My comments were regarding the idea of overreacting. Disappointments will always come to those who are keeping on the watch in some small way, but they will be small if we are not serving Jehovah with a date in mind and if we have developed patience. I enjoy your comments. 

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I didn’t read that in the article, can you point that out please?  and the quote you mentioned referenced us as Christians, not the FDS… of course again, we don’t want to be dogmatic, or run ahead of the organization, but this admonition is directed to all of us, not just the faithful slave… as Bro Morris mentioned at the annual meeting, Jesus said, what I say to you (his apostles) I say to ALL … keep on the watch! 

Perhaps this quote sums it up. Jesus' followers "support" the appointed Watchman, but we don't take his job. We are alert, however the message of warning comes from the GB, not our personal interpretation of world events.

*** rr chap. 11 “I Have Appointed You as a Watchman” ***

24 After the Kingdom was established, Jesus appointed a small group of men to serve as the faithful slave. (Matt. 24:45-47) Since then, the faithful slave, now known as the Governing Body, has done the work of a watchman. It takes the lead not only in warning of “the day of vengeance” but also in proclaiming “the year of Jehovah’s goodwill.”—Isa. 61:2; see also 2 Corinthians 6:1, 2.
25 While the faithful slave takes the lead in the watchman work, Jesus assigned “all” of his followers to “keep on the watch.” (Mark 13:33-37) We obey that command by remaining spiritually awake, loyally supporting the modern-day watchman.

23 hours ago, jwhess said:

Perhaps this quote sums it up. Jesus' followers "support" the appointed Watchman, but we don't take his job. We are alert, however the message of warning comes from the GB, not our personal interpretation of world events.

*** rr chap. 11 “I Have Appointed You as a Watchman” ***

24 After the Kingdom was established, Jesus appointed a small group of men to serve as the faithful slave. (Matt. 24:45-47) Since then, the faithful slave, now known as the Governing Body, has done the work of a watchman. It takes the lead not only in warning of “the day of vengeance” but also in proclaiming “the year of Jehovah’s goodwill.”—Isa. 61:2; see also 2 Corinthians 6:1, 2.
25 While the faithful slave takes the lead in the watchman work, Jesus assigned “all” of his followers to “keep on the watch.” (Mark 13:33-37) We obey that command by remaining spiritually awake, loyally supporting the modern-day watchman.

This  is true, but we still as individual Christians have a responsibility to be “watchman” 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:11 AM, jwhess said:

I think of how the discreet virgins didn't dump all of their lamp oil in one big bowl and light a big fire when they expected the bridegroom. It would be very illuminating but wouldn't last long. They were discreet enough to have extra oil and pace themselves so they could stay on the watch.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, jwhess said:

So, the "watchman keeps awake for  “the day of vengeance” but also in proclaiming “the year of Jehovah’s goodwill.”

We keep "spiritually awake, loyally supporting the modern-day watchman" by watching for, ready to act on,  the watchman's signal.

Right?

50 minutes ago, Eejay said:

So, the "watchman keeps awake for  “the day of vengeance” but also in proclaiming “the year of Jehovah’s goodwill.”

We keep "spiritually awake, loyally supporting the modern-day watchman" by watching for, ready to act on,  the watchman's signal.

Right?

All of God's servants are on the alert.  Whether it is for Satan's attacks (as a roaring lion or for to be on guard against personal failures like neutrality). We, the Other Sheep. are not Jehovah's appointed Watchman like Elijah. We do not scour the scriptures to get Jehovah's message and then make world-wide announcements as to the direction we should go as an organization.

So yes, personal alertness, watchfulness, anticipation so we can move quickly to obey the direction from the Watchman.

• 1 month later...