JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NEWS ALERT | The Good News According to Jesus Begins Filming

I wonder about that too, because the if the movie will take about 7-8 years to film the it may become apparent for actors aging as the time goes on. But I’m going to guess makeup and special effects can help in that area.

The magic of the moving images…

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Jimi-L said:

How is it possible to get a 1000-minute video series from the Gospels? The vast majority of the gospels (especially synoptic ones) just repeat each other and tell things from different perspectives and in different words. Does the series also include some examples related to the gospels from our time? 

It's rather easy.

If you watch THE CHOSEN, they are 16 episodes in and they have barely touched it.

How is it possible to get a 1000-minute video series from the Gospels? The vast majority of the gospels (especially synoptic ones) just repeat each other and tell things from different perspectives and in different words. Does the series also include some examples related to the gospels from our time? 

No, but it will not all be talking all the time. Some scenes will also establish moods, the time, season, area, etc. The idea is to show what life might have been like when he walked the earth, and a lot of emotions.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

From  it-2  pp. 5-20  "When Jesus quoted the Hebrew scriptures, or read  from them he certainly used the Divine name, Jehovah."  A good example is when the devil tempted Jesus three times, and each time Jesus responded with a quote from the Hebrew scriptures that included the name Jehovah.

But is there any example  in the Bible  when Jesus used the name of God other than quoting or reading?

We believe he did use the name of God, Jehovah, just as we do today, but nowhere is that included in the inspired record. It's usually the 'Father' or the 'One'.

It will be fascinating to hear him use God's personal name in his daily life in this film.  Or, will he?  If they stick to the Bible literally, then No.  But if they make allowance for the obvious, then Yes?   What do ya'll expect in this new film?

From  it-2  pp. 5-20  "When Jesus quoted the Hebrew scriptures, or read  from them he certainly used the Divine name, Jehovah."  A good example is when the devil tempted Jesus three times, and each time Jesus responded with a quote from the Hebrew scriptures that included the name Jehovah.

But is there any example  in the Bible  when Jesus used the name of God other than quoting or reading?
We believe he did use the name of God, Jehovah, just as we do today, but nowhere is that included in the inspired record. It's usually the 'Father' or the 'One'.

It will be fascinating to hear him use God's personal name in his daily life in this film.  Or, will he?  If they stick to the Bible literally, then No.  But if they make allowance for the obvious, then Yes?   What do ya'll expect in this new film?

Mark 5:19. Possibly 13:20. I am sure they will take some artistic licenses when necessary, but from what I’ve understood they will follow the written texts quite strictly.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

If they stick to the Bible literally, then No.  But if they make allowance for the obvious, then Yes?   What do ya'll expect in this new film?

Personally I would expect the Governing Body to keep strictly to the Bible in terms of spoken dialogue.... I think that is what we have seen previously?

That's a hard one. I can imagine the script of the movie will be extended by day-to-day dialogues. Because this is added, I think the the Divine name is used like we're used to.
But when it comes to direct quotes from the Gospels, I think the brothers would stay with what we know for sure.

Because, in a way, those scenes where the Bible is quoted directly, it is kind of a "translation". At least this is what I guess haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Sepie93 said:

That's a hard one. I can imagine the script of the movie will be extended by day-to-day dialogues. Because this is added, I think the the Divine name is used like we're used to.
But when it comes to direct quotes from the Gospels, I think the brothers would stay with what we know for sure.

Because, in a way, those scenes where the Bible is quoted directly, it is kind of a "translation". At least this is what I guess haha

Very interesting !!!!   In the film, "For a Certainty God Made Him Lord and Christ" , the way they handled the added information was by a narrator.

One concern:  If they have Jesus speaking about Jehovah God , not supported by scripture, it may be viewed as "our version" of his life.  If this film is designed to teach and make disciples, it will want to be accurate but not presumptuous.

9 minutes ago, Doug said:

In the film, "For a Certainty God Made Him Lord and Christ" , the way they handled the added information was by a narrator.

Yes, they added the fictional character Mesaper who broke the fourth wall, taking on the role of both a narrator and greek chorus.

Edited by Parale

14 hours ago, Shannie said:

How long will this take to make?

I understand that it went into development in Spring 2019, with pre-production starting in Spring 2020, and principal photography starting on 20 May 2022.

It appears from comments above that it is initially planned that both the principle photography and post-production (?) will be completed in Summer 2029.

9 hours ago, Parale said:

I understand that it went into development in Spring 2019, with pre-production starting in Spring 2020, and principal photography starting on 20 May 2022.

It appears from comments above that it is initially planned that both the principle photography and post-production (?) will be completed in Summer 2029.

Wow that is a long time from now wow 😯 

That’s just to long from now !!! I wonder is this for the new world 

If the brothers knew, they’d tell us. Then again, I would not mind if this project had to be halted because of Armageddon.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, Shannie said:

Wow that is a long time from now wow

At the 2020 Annual Meeting Anthony Morris said: "We do not have to wait for this new video series to be fully completed before benefiting from the visual Gospel accounts. In future convention programs, we will see the various segments of the life of Jesus play out each year at our convention."

So hopefully something to look forward to at next year's Regional Convention :)

11 hours ago, Shannie said:

That’s just to long from now !!! I wonder is this for the new world

At the 2020 Annual Meeting Anthony Morris said: "The faithful slave now says that many of the projects that are being worked on now — like Ramapo, the Good News According to Jesus video series — may or perhaps will carry over into the new world to assist the great crowd with the work ahead and perhaps include resurrected ones."

Brother Morris said that this was inline with the principle found in the 1993 Jehovah’s Witnesses — Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom book on page 339: "It is also their hope that perhaps many of the fine facilities that they have built and dedicated to Jehovah will continue to be used after Armageddon as centers from which knowledge of the only true God can be diffused until it truly fills the earth."

At the 2021 Annual Meeting Ronald Curzan said: "As stated in the 2020 annual meeting, it is likely that this series [The Good News According to Jesus] will be used to touch the hearts and minds of billions of resurrected ones in the coming new world. Just think how this video series could help them learn about the example that Jesus set. Imagine how the visual portrayal of his warm, humble, and approachable personality will help them to come to know Jehovah intimately. How exactly will we use this new series to teach resurrected ones? We will have to wait and see what Jehovah directs."

3 hours ago, Parale said:

At the 2020 Annual Meeting Anthony Morris said: "The faithful slave now says that many of the projects that are being worked on now — like Ramapo, the Good News According to Jesus video series — may or perhaps will carry over into the new world to assist the great crowd with the work ahead and perhaps include resurrected ones."

Brother Morris said that this was inline with the principle found in the 1993 Jehovah’s Witnesses — Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom book on page 339: "It is also their hope that perhaps many of the fine facilities that they have built and dedicated to Jehovah will continue to be used after Armageddon as centers from which knowledge of the only true God can be diffused until it truly fills the earth."

At the 2021 Annual Meeting Ronald Curzan said: "As stated in the 2020 annual meeting, it is likely that this series [The Good News According to Jesus] will be used to touch the hearts and minds of billions of resurrected ones in the coming new world. Just think how this video series could help them learn about the example that Jesus set. Imagine how the visual portrayal of his warm, humble, and approachable personality will help them to come to know Jehovah intimately. How exactly will we use this new series to teach resurrected ones? We will have to wait and see what Jehovah directs."

And I have the feeling that we will soon hear about the preaching work to the resurrected. :D

Maybe by the end of June :D 

Jesus was 33 when he died. You pick a brother who looks too young and age him with a beard and such, and nature gets a few years.

My thing is: How do they cast him? Voice, skin color, weight, build, acting talent. It's going to be tough to pick one man to play Jesus. And he needs at a dozen contemporaries.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jimi-L said:

I wouldn't be surprised if added scenes, conversations, characters were written in for the storytelling, just like Jonah's family members and the scene at the house where the kids were interrogating him. ☺️

In "The Chosen" series, the backstory of the leper who came to Jesus for healing was that his sister was a servant at the wedding where Jesus turned water to wine. She told her brother and he searched to see if Jesus could help him. 

Completely reasonable, imo - and really humanizes the narrative. 

Until today, the representation of Jesus Christ in our publications has always been wonderful, the research is of extreme quality. It will be no different in the movie, we will be pleased because as always Jehovah is blessing the project, let's wait!

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Member requested copyrighted images be removed