JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Diet soda is fine, and other food truths it's time you believed

• 2 months later...

I'm okay with stevia sweetener.

I get migraines with aspartame, which seems to be a known side effect.

Aspartame: Decades of science point to serious health risks

https://usrtk.org/sweeteners/aspartame_health_risks/

• 1 month later...

@Brother_Bliss

https://www.sciencealert.com/popular-artificial-sweetener-appears-to-make-blood-stickier-linked-to-stroke-risk

Study Links Artificial Sweetener to Stroke Risk, Says It Could Make Blood Stickier

The suspected health harms of artificial sweeteners are piling up – and now a new study has linked one kind of sugar substitute to higher risks of heart health problems.

Physician-scientist Stanley Hazen and colleagues at the Cleveland Clinic's Lerner Research Institute wanted to see if they could find any signs that could warn people they were at greater risk of heart attack and stroke.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:10 PM, Bro_BT said:

I'm okay with stevia sweetener.

I have read article  article on Stevia, and I am not sure if I will use it again. 

My personal view? 
I try to avoid anything “artificial” or modified. 
Even if they are saying it’s safe. 

Apparently this new research was accidental, as they were looking for something else and stumbled on that ingredient that was causing problems. 

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

48 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

@Brother_Bliss

https://www.sciencealert.com/popular-artificial-sweetener-appears-to-make-blood-stickier-linked-to-stroke-risk

Study Links Artificial Sweetener to Stroke Risk, Says It Could Make Blood Stickier

The suspected health harms of artificial sweeteners are piling up – and now a new study has linked one kind of sugar substitute to higher risks of heart health problems.

Erythritol is mentioned in that article. Last year I had my own problems with erythritol.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/52745-sugar-alcohols/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Yes, I've read this study and watched a few video commentaries on it. It is specifically calling out Erythritol. 

Erythritol is actually a sugar alcohol and is found naturally in fruits like grapes, peaches, pears and watermelon. It’s also found in mushrooms and fermented foods like beer, cheese, sake, soy sauce and wine. The human body even produces erythritol on it's own. These levels are considered safe.

The danger is that it's used as an low-glycemic sweetener in a plethora of low-carb/keto snacks at much higher concentrations. While these diets are supposed to teach you to eat naturally, the greedy corporations producing these products want the dieter to believe that they need and/or deserve dessert-like sweet treats. The sad result is that the dieter actually never learns to eat natural foods, because they get lured in by these "keto" processed snack bars, etc.

It appears that erythritol can cause your blood components to get stickier, and stickier blood components are more likely to clot, and clots can cause heart attacks and stroke.

Fortunately, this substance is not found in Diet soda.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well, in view of this new research following is concerning: 

About 90% of the erythritol you eat is absorbed into your bloodstream. The remaining 10% travels undigested down to your colon.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/erythritol#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I don't drink any soft drink at all, diet or otherwise.  I just don't like it.  

Another sugar alcohol that seems to have become popular, here at least, is Maltitol. It is used as a substitute sweetner in a number of foods. It has a very negative affect on me. 

Although these sugars are found naturally in some fruits and vegetables, they are often manufactured for use in other foods.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Another sugar alcohol that seems to have become popular, here at least, is Maltitol. It is used as a substitute sweetner in a number of foods. It has a very negative affect on me. 

That is known for its laxative effect on most people. Candies with Maltitol should be eaten in moderation...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That is known for its laxative effect on most people. Candies with Maltitol should be eaten in moderation...:whistling:

This is true. It doesn't take much sugar alcohols to produce uncontrollable gas. Too much and that gas turns to liquid, lol. 

Eat a couple low carb snack bars or overindulge in suger free ice cream, and you're gonna be in trouble in about an hour. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

10 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

This is true. It doesn't take much sugar alcohols to produce uncontrollable gas. Too much and that gas turns to liquid, lol. 

Eat a couple low carb snack bars or overindulge in suger free ice cream, and you're gonna be in trouble in about an hour. 

I only have to eat 1 slice of bread with it in and I am very unwell. They put it in some gluten free bread here, for some reason.  I never eat low carb foods or sugar free ice cream, soft drinks  or sweets so wasn't even aware of it till I found it in the bread. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 3 months later...

Chemical found in Splenda damages DNA: ‘Genotoxic’ discovery

Splenda is 600 times sweeter than sugar and is the best-selling artificial sweetener in America, with sales roughly double those of its nearest rival, Sweet’n Low.

But sucralose has been found to be genotoxic, meaning it breaks apart the DNA in chromosomes and can lead to cancer, according to new research published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health.

In the human body, sucralose breaks down into a compound called sucralose-6-acetate, which can damage the lining of the intestine.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/06/chemical-found-in-splenda-damages-dna-genotoxic-discovery/amp/

On 6/7/2023 at 11:31 PM, jwmom said:

I use Stevia

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/stevia-side-effects#side-effects

There’s concern that raw stevia herb may harm your kidneys, reproductive system, and cardiovascular system. It may also drop blood pressure too low or interact with medications that lower blood sugar.

Although stevia is considered safe for people with diabetes, brands that contain dextrose or maltodextrin should be treated with caution

On 6/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, Shawnster said:

I was hoping I could rattle @Brother_Blisscage :lol1:

Fortunately, Sucralose is not an ingredient in Diet Coke. So it's still generally safe.

However, I have chronic kidney disease, and my phosphate levels are too high. High phosphate levels can contribute to calcium loss and weakened bones, which gives me pause since I broke my ankle last month. My calcium levels are just fine though, but I started supplementation on my own after the injury, and the blood test was almost 30 days later.

It looks like I might have to give up dark colas altogether as they contain phosphorous, which I need to manage.

8 hours ago, Imagine said:

There’s concern that raw stevia herb may harm your kidneys

Well thanks for raining on my parade. Zevia Sodas are phosphorous free and an option I am looking at, lol

10 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Well thanks for raining on my parade. Zevia Sodas are phosphorous free and an option I am looking at, lol

Zevia Ginger Root Beer  😋 💜 is the only soda I will drink. Personally, I’d rather use/trust Stevia than any other sugar substitute 🤢. But that’s just my opinion. 🥰 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

38 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

However, I have chronic kidney disease

I was on the path to kidney disease when Dr. Kevin fixed me up.  Pantaprazole was destroying my kidneys.

There are cheap ways to turn it around:  Grounding Mat + detox + reducing/eliminating medicine.