JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Will the Governing Body get a new member in 2022?

Go to solution Solved by Parale,
Message added by Brother_Bliss,

Just a reminder, that if there is actually something to this rumor, and you become aware of it, do NOT post it in this thread or in any of the other forums, but wait until after any such announcement has been made by proper official channels.

Message added by Brother_Bliss,

This topic is now moderated for everyone

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 485 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, Parale said:

FWIW here is my 'timeline' chart of the modern-day Governing Body from 1971 onwards

Click image for full-size PDF:

image.png.c07e0fbdcd7d865d8437156bfc263e02.png

Dates are shown for when they where appointed, and when they either died, or left the Governing Body.

For the seven brothers on the 1971 Governing Body who where already Directors of the Pennsylvania corporation, their date of election as a director is shown.

The Yellow bars indicate original members, the Blue bars indicate subsequent members, and the Green bars indicate current members.

The chart reads from left to right so that, in October 1971 there where 11 members, in July 1974 Bud Sullivan died, leaving 10 members, in November 1974 a futher eight brothers where appointed giving a total of 18 members, and so forth... thus the numbers along the top indicate the number of members from that date.

In addition, on 1 May 1992 the 'Helpers to the Governing Body' arrangement was instituted. Although previous to this the Governing Body where already using 'helpers', this formulised the arrangement and - importantly - now allowed for the 'Helpers' to be assigned, and participate, in the various Governing Body Committees.

Very nice chart brother! Don't you have information on GB member prior to 1971? (society directors at the time)

Some interesting facts:

Br Swingel and Henshel are the brothers with most time in the GB - 56 years

Br Feckel only stayed for 3 years

I thought Br Franz was appointed way before 1944, isn't tere an error?

9 hours ago, Parale said:

In addition to this thread, you may also be interested in the following, if you've not seen them yet:

A PDF of the current Governing Body, with pictures, and some links:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/51662-new-helpers-to-the-governing-body/page/2/#comment-875176

A PDF of the current Helpers, with pictures:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/51662-new-helpers-to-the-governing-body/page/2/#comment-875510

May 2022 JW Broadcast - Who is who on the 'Governing Body Preserves Unity' title card which appears at the 46:50 point? With link/s to the original unedited photo in the Proclaimers book, and cropped version in the Watchtower February 2017:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/52112-jw-broadcasting-may-2022/page/2/#comment-879245

I remember there was a pdf with all the GB members since Russel with links for their life stories and I lost it and can't find it anymore... (it's here on jwtalk)

14 hours ago, Tronora said:

Maybe it was just me listening that didn't catch what circumstances that are 'worthy'. But I agree all in all with what you are saying. Thank you :)

It's just like the ministry... Everybody is encouraged to do his/her best, but there is no requirement to the number of hours you shoud do. Just do your best!

In regarding the presence at KH's just do your best! However no one is going to check if that's really our best offering or if it is really a "sick animal", Jehovah indeed sees and its to him that we must answer and show love primarly - 1st commandment: Love Jehovah above all things

11 hours ago, coony77 said:

There´s an elderly sister in my congregation, she´s 92, struggling with health issues, etc. Everybody would have full understanding if she prefered to participate throuth Zoom. BUT this sister is at the hall for almost every meeting! She can´t drive herself, so a nearby couple always picks her up. If this couple is on vacation, she calls me and asks me to take her with me to the hall. If I´m also on vacation, she calls the next one. She will call at least 3-4 different people before she decides to stay at home and log in on Zoom. Her example really motivates me. I must confess I got used to some conveniences the Zoom participation offers. But Jehovah wants us to meet in person, and my circumstances allow me to be at the hall. The oportunity of "hybrid meetings" created by Zoom is a real blessing for those whose circumstances don´t allow them to go to the hall. But for all of us with good health and no reason to stay at home, the blessing Jehovah gives us is not Zoom - it´s our in person meetings at the Kingdom Hall. We should appreciate the particular blessing according to our personal circumstances.

We also have a two sistersthat can't go to the hall by themselves (one 84 and the other 96) but they want to go! So we have an arrangement that each week a diferent family goes pick them up and brings them to the hall (they live nearby one another but far from where the majority of brothers live).

Edited by jayrtom

16 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Very nice chart brother! Don't you have information on GB member prior to 1971? (society directors at the time)

Some interesting facts:

Br Swingel and Henshel are the brothers with most time in the GB - 56 years

Br Feckel only stayed for 3 years

I remember there was a pdf with all the GB members since Russel with links for their life stories and I lost it and can't find it anymore... (it's here on jwtalk)

It's just like the ministry... Everybody is encouraged to do his/her best, but there is no requirement to the number of hours you shoud do. Just do your best!

In regarding the presence at KH's just do your best! However no one is going to check if that's really our best offering or if it is really a "sick animal", Jehovah indeed sees and its to him that we must answer and show love primarly - 1st commandment: Love Jehovah above all things

We also have a two sistersthat can't go to the hall by themselves (one 84 and the other 96) but they want to go! So we have an arrangement that each week a diferent family goes pick them up and brings them to the hall (they live nearby one another but far from where the majority of brothers live).

I coudn't find a date for Br Franz appointment besids the fact that in 1945 he was elected as vice president of the society... wasn't it to soon from 1944?

5 hours ago, jayrtom said:

I coudn't find a date for Br Franz appointment besids the fact that in 1945 he was elected as vice president of the society... wasn't it to soon from 1944?

Br. Covington was Vice-President prior to 1945.  But he was not of the anointed.  So he stepped down and Br. Fred Franz replaced him. Just prior to that he was a Gilead Instructor.

*** w87 5/1 p. 29 Looking Back Over 93 Years of Living ***

Changes in the Society’s Presidency

At Brother Rutherford’s death on January 8, 1942, Nathan H. Knorr succeeded him to the presidency of the Society. Despite the raging second world war, his public address in the summer of 1942 on the subject “Peace—Can It Last?” reversed our outlook for the immediate future. Shortly thereafter, Brother Knorr opened up the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead at Kingdom Farm on Monday, February 1, 1943, with a hundred students composing the first class. I had the privilege of serving on the program for the inaugural occasion. Brothers Eduardo Keller, Maxwell G. Friend, Victor Blackwell, and Albert D. Schroeder served as teachers.

Edited by jwhess

41 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Covington was Vice-President prior to 1945.  But he was not of the anointed.  So he stepped down and Br. Fred Franz replaced him. Just prior to that he was a Gilead Instructor.

*** w87 5/1 p. 29 Looking Back Over 93 Years of Living ***

Changes in the Society’s Presidency

At Brother Rutherford’s death on January 8, 1942, Nathan H. Knorr succeeded him to the presidency of the Society. Despite the raging second world war, his public address in the summer of 1942 on the subject “Peace—Can It Last?” reversed our outlook for the immediate future. Shortly thereafter, Brother Knorr opened up the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead at Kingdom Farm on Monday, February 1, 1943, with a hundred students composing the first class. I had the privilege of serving on the program for the inaugural occasion. Brothers Eduardo Keller, Maxwell G. Friend, Victor Blackwell, and Albert D. Schroeder served as teachers.

Yes, but I still don't know when was he appointed to the board of directores... there is no mention of it. I'd suspect it would be way before 1944... Interestingly he was the one who gave the baptismal talk when Br Knorr was baptized

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Thank you.

I used 1971 as a convenient 'cut-off' date as that was the year that the formal Governing Body was established as a separate entity, with the title capitalised. Previous to this - and all the way back to the first century - it was always written informally, with the name in lower-case, ie: governing body.

The other complication is that, although there where/are three legal corporations used by the brothers, only the directors of the Pennsylvania one count as being part of the 'governing body'. The directors of all three corporations where not the same, although there was often extensive overlap. In addition I believe the designation 'a director' by itself can be used in various articles etc, without stating exactly which corporation.

• Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania - directors where governing body
  • Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York (was Peoples Pulpit Association) - directors where NOT governing body
  • International Bible Students Association (Britain / Canada) - directors where NOT governing body

Yearbook 1970: "The governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses is the board of directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania."

The only real saving grace would be that I understand that all the dates for the directorships of the Pennsylvania corporation - for which I believe directors where elected for a set term of eithertwo or three years - was that they should all relate to the annual business meeting held in the first week of October. (I presume the only exception would be if they died before the end of the term, though I think they would only be replaced at the next annual business meeting 🤷‍♂️)

BONUS POINTS if you spotted another written issue in the above Yearbook quote - yes, the 'w' in 'Jehovah’s witnesses' was not capitalised until later... btw does anybody know when the 'w' was capitalised?....

Edited by Parale

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Maybe. The first reference I could find, according to my notes, was in the 1945 Yearbook, when he was elected as a director of the Pennsylvania corporation at the previous year's annual business meeting in October 1944 (see also the 1975 Yearbook)

The problem is that pre-1971, ascertaining dates and names gets very complicated, so if anyone knows anything different please let me know :)

6 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Not necessarily as the brothers where likely already working closely together, and sometimes as directors within the other two corporations, so they would have been a known quantity already, and thus sometimes they where also an elected director already, but for one of the other corporations. Remember also that the Witnesses where a much smaller organisation back then (around 110,000 worldwide, with half of them in the USA).

Look at the example of the dates used for Nathan Knorr: "On January 11, 1934, Brother Knorr was elected to be a director of the Peoples Pulpit Association (now Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.), and the following year he was made the Association’s vice president. On June 10, 1940, he became the vice president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. His election to the presidency of both societies and of the British corporation, International Bible Students Association, came in [8] January 1942." Proclaimers Book

And we know that the 'Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society' refers to the Pennsylvania corporation (ie governing body) because 'Watch Tower' is spelt with two words, whereas 'Watchtower' in the New York corporation (is NOT governing body) is spelt as one word.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:43 AM, coolbrz731 said:

What if it is a helper that's a member of the great crowd?  What if we're so close, they're getting the NWGB(New World Governing Body) ready?

On 7/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, Brother_Bliss said:

Nope, not gonna happen. Certainly there is an arrangement in place for when they all get whisked away, but until that happens the GB will only ever be anointed men.

To confirm what has already be mentioned on this thread by @jwhess.... interestingly a member of the 'other sheep' has actually already been a member of the governing body 😮....

The Watchtower 15 January 2001, page 28
There was one exception. In 1940, Hayden C. Covington — then the Society’s legal counsel and one of the “other sheep,” with the earthly hope — was elected a director of the Society. He served as the Society’s vice president from 1942 to 1945. At that time, Brother Covington stepped aside as a director to comply with what then seemed to be Jehovah’s will — that all directors and officers of the Pennsylvania corporation be anointed Christians. Lyman A. Swingle replaced Hayden C. Covington on the board of directors, and Frederick W. Franz was elected vice president.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2001051#h=3

On 7/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, Alikay said:

Have you heard?

It's a good thing that you did not say there was going to be a new member on the Governing Body, otherwise we would have to stone you for being a false prophet..:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Yes, but I still don't know when was he appointed to the board of directores... there is no mention of it. I'd suspect it would be way before 1944... Interestingly he was the one who gave the baptismal talk when Br Knorr was baptized

He was never on the board of directors prior to 1944.  I have attached ALL of the Annual Meeting elections from 1927 to 1945 for you to read.

Keep in mind the year of the Yearbook reports on the year before/  So 1927 reports on 1926 happenings and the  1945 Yearbook reports on data from 1944 and so on.

yb-1927.JPG

yb=1930.JPG

yb-1936.JPG

yb-1939.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

Edited by jwhess

I think after a week and 4 pages maybe the title of the thread needs to be changed. 😂

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

He was never on the board of directors prior to 1944.  I have attached ALL of the Annual Meeting elections from 1927 to 1945 for you to read.

Keep in mind the year of the Yearbook reports on the year before/  So 1927 reports on 1926 happenings and the  1945 Yearbook reports on data from 1944 and so on.

yb-1927.JPG

yb=1930.JPG

yb-1936.JPG

yb-1939.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

Thanks for your research. I new you would have the information :)

:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

yb-1927.JPG

yb=1930.JPG

yb-1936.JPG

yb-1939.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

yb-1945.JPG

I just found out some incongruencies... maby there's more..

On your prints Br Thomas Sullivan was elected as director in 1929, but on wol it says 1932...

Br. J.C.Booth, on your prints, is referenced as being a director 1944 but in wol it is 1974....

Maybe you mixed up the dates on the prints?

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

On your prints Br Thomas Sullivan was elected as director in 1929, but on wol it says 1932...

I think you are mixing up the scans and dates:

The 1930 Yearbook lists Rutherford, Wise, Van Amburgh, Martin, Macmillan, Riemer, and Lueck:

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

yb=1930.JPG

The 1936 Yearbook says TJ Sullivan was nominated for a three-year term at October 1935 Annual Meeting. It appears that he had already served a three-year term, starting at the Annual Meeting held on 31 October 1932, thus matching what it states in The Watchtower 15 September 1974.

yb-1936.JPG

Therefore I have used the 31 October 1932 date for the appointment of T J (Bud) Sullivan on my timeline:

On 8/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, Parale said:

Dates are shown for when they where appointed, and when they either died, or left the Governing Body.

Edited by Parale

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Br. J.C.Booth, on your prints, is referenced as being a director 1944 but in wol it is 1974....

I think you are mixing up the corporations:

The 1945 Yearbook states that J C Booth was a director of the New York corporation - these directors are NOT governing body.

yb-1945.JPG

Edited 13 hours ago by jwh

Only those who where directors of the Pennsylvania corporation are considered as being governing body members.

The Watchtower 15 June 1996 states that: "In 1974, Brother Booth was appointed a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Brooklyn, New York." The Watchtower 15 January 1975 gives the exact date as 28 November 1974.

19 hours ago, Parale said:
  • Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania - directors where governing body
  • Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York (was Peoples Pulpit Association) - directors where NOT governing body
  • International Bible Students Association (Britain / Canada) - directors where NOT governing body

Yearbook 1970: "The governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses is the board of directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania."

Therefore I have used the 28 November 1974 date for the appointment of John C Booth on my timeline:

On 8/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, Parale said:

48 minutes ago, Parale said:

I think you are mixing up the scans and dates:

The 1930 Yearbook lists Rutherford, Wise, Van Amburgh, Martin, Macmillan, Riemer, and Lueck:

The 1936 Yearbook says TJ Sullivan was nominated for a three-year term at October 1935 Annual Meeting. It appears that he had already served a three-year term, starting at the Annual Meeting held on 31 October 1932, thus matching what it states in The Watchtower 15 September 1974.

Therefore I have used the 31 October 1932 date for the appointment of T J (Bud) Sullivan on my timeline:

34 minutes ago, Parale said:

I think you are mixing up the corporations:

The 1945 Yearbook states that J C Booth was a director of the New York corporation - these directors are NOT governing body.

Only those who where directors of the Pennsylvania corporation are considered as being governing body members.

The Watchtower 15 June 1996 states that: "In 1974, Brother Booth was appointed a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Brooklyn, New York." The Watchtower 15 January 1975 gives the exact date as 28 November 1974.

Therefore I have used the 28 November 1974 date for the appointment of John C Booth on my timeline:

Thanks for the clarifications!

But then we can't use this information to say Br Franz was appointed 1944 to the boarding of directores as that information is related to the New York corporation...

image.png.b5063f728c271885a764e43ab3568203.png

14 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Thanks for the clarifications!

But then we can't use this information to say Br Franz was appointed 1944 to the boarding of directores as that information is related to the New York corporation...

image.png.b5063f728c271885a764e43ab3568203.png

I believe you need to ask @jwhess to turn over and show you the following page :)

1 hour ago, Parale said:

I believe you need to ask @jwhess to turn over and show you the following page :)

Here are some relevant copies of the Annual Meeting reports.  I have tried to include the "Pennsulvania" titles as I could but some of the reports cover more than one page.  I have added a special page to the 1942 yd because Br, Rutherford died Jan 1942 and this edition represented the Oct 1941 AM results.  So a combination meeting in jan 1942  had a new election.

1933 yb.JPG

1936 yb.JPG

1939 yb.JPG

1942a yb.JPG

1945 yb.JPG

The OP asked the question and never said anything else in this thread, as if to watch the drama unfold…

Edited by *Jack*

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

45 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

The OP asked the question and never said anything else in this thread, as if to watch the drama unfold…

Or as i said, "stir the chicken coup".

Someone "psst. New GB appointment"

Community members...

chicken GIF by floatingwoo

15 hours ago, BLEmom said:

I think after a week and 4 pages maybe the title of the thread needs to be changed. 😂

Or lock the topic. It's not like we were really going to let anybody leak this information anyway. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Before it gets locked ... just a point of "interest", at least it was for us, a brother in our Congregation (Henry) from the early 1970's until his death a few years ago was the nephew of J. C Booth.

In the late 80's, Henry's father moved here and lived here until his death. Henry's father was John Booth's brother.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 8/1/2022 at 11:12 AM, Esined said:

Whoah, what happened in the 80s? Just noticing that almost 20 year gap before Brother Losch was added. Seems like a good thing brothers are added more regularly now.

The GB grew to a large number of members.  There was no need to add any more 

51 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I like this thread, for me it would be better to change name and not close it.

We can discuss several things regarding the governing body :)

If it remains open, should it stay publicly visible? Or will it be moved to a members only section?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 485 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.