JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Will the Governing Body get a new member in 2022?

Go to solution Solved by Parale,
Message added by Brother_Bliss,

Just a reminder, that if there is actually something to this rumor, and you become aware of it, do NOT post it in this thread or in any of the other forums, but wait until after any such announcement has been made by proper official channels.

Message added by Brother_Bliss,

This topic is now moderated for everyone

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 485 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

but intressting the dates about the previous annoncements :

Both on Wednesday morning. It will be interesting if there is an announcement next Wednesday.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 minutes ago, Dages said:

@Alikay are you going to help us here ? :D 

Will you approve his comment so all of us can see it? :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Both on Wednesday morning. It will be interesting if there is an announcement next Wednesday.

FWIW, below is abstracted from my notes on the Governing Body since it's modern-day formalisation as a distinctive entity in 1971, showing previous dates:

Friday 15 October 1971

·  Raymond Franz

·  George Gangas

·  Leo Greenlees

·  William Jackson

Thursday 28 November 1974

·  W. Lloyd Barry

·  John Booth

·  Ewart Chitty

·  Charles Fekel

·  Theodore Jaracz

·  Karl Klein

·  Albert Schroeder

·  Daniel Sydlik

Wednesday 7 September 1977

·  Carey Barber

·  John Barr

·  Martin Poetzinger

Friday 1 July 1994

·  Gerrit Lösch

Saturday 2 October 1999

·  Samuel Herd

·  M Stephen Lett

·  Guy Pierce

·  David Splane

(Annual Meeting)

Wednesday 24 August 2005

·  Geoffrey Jackson

·  Anthony Morris III

Effective Thu 1 Sept 2005

Wednesday 5 September 2012

·  Mark Sanderson

Effective Sat 1 Sept 2012

Wednesday 24 January 2018

·  Kenneth Cook, Jr.

Edited by Parale

1 hour ago, JohnFromOz said:

So the real question is whether anyone knows if any of the current helpers are anointed.

There might be at least one, if we assume that what one member of this site wrote 7 years ago is truthful information. (The name of the anointed helper was not mentioned out of respect for their privacy)

21 hours ago, Qapla said:

OK - so what is the "fake" question?

A question that does not relate to the topic or does not conform to standard rules of behavior. 

For example, a question asked with the purpose of stirring the pot or causing a disruption would be a "fake" question. 

Satan asked Eve a "fake" question.  Satan's purposes was not to learn information or educate himself, nor was he wanting to stimulate Eve's thinking in a positive way. Instead, Satan's goal was to cause Eve to doubt and question Jehovah's love, sincerity, and his right to rule 

5 hours ago, Eejay said:

Which Satan relied upon to buy himself time

And how time flies...:whistling:

Moses came and gone

Flood came and gone 

Israelite period came and gone 

Early Christian era came and gone 

Medieval ages came and gone 

Last days came and are almost gone! 

Satan is on schedule to go to the abyss.

We are about to eyewitness the promised change of rulership ...

Well, how quickly days disappeared since the garden of Eden!  

Just to stay on topic: 

Spoiler

If there is a new GB member he is going to be male! LOL 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 7/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, Parale said:

FWIW, below is abstracted from my notes on the Governing Body since it's modern-day formalisation as a distinctive entity in 1971, showing previous dates:

Friday 15 October 1971

·  Raymond Franz

·  George Gangas

·  Leo Greenlees

·  William Jackson

Thursday 28 November 1974

·  W. Lloyd Barry

·  John Booth

·  Ewart Chitty

·  Charles Fekel

·  Theodore Jaracz

·  Karl Klein

·  Albert Schroeder

·  Daniel Sydlik

Wednesday 7 September 1977

·  Carey Barber

·  John Barr

·  Martin Poetzinger

Friday 1 July 1994

·  Gerrit Lösch

Saturday 2 October 1999

·  Samuel Herd

·  M Stephen Lett

·  Guy Pierce

·  David Splane

(Annual Meeting)

Wednesday 24 August 2005

·  Geoffrey Jackson

·  Anthony Morris III

Effective Thu 1 Sept 2005

Wednesday 5 September 2012

·  Mark Sanderson

Effective Sat 1 Sept 2012

Wednesday 24 January 2018

·  Kenneth Cook, Jr.

Whoah, what happened in the 80s? Just noticing that almost 20 year gap before Brother Losch was added. Seems like a good thing brothers are added more regularly now.

58 minutes ago, Esined said:

Whoah, what happened in the 80s? Just noticing that almost 20 year gap before Brother Losch was added. Seems like a good thing brothers are added more regularly now.

There is no specific rule to when or why adding new members, so it doesn't make sense to say that it is more regular now...

Anyway in 1977 with the new additions they totaled 18... perhaps they were already a good number and no more brothers were needed

New Members of the Governing Body — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (jw.org)

On September 7, 1977, the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses came to the decision to invite three anointed brothers to join with them in service at Brooklyn. T....

There are now eighteen members of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

2 hours ago, jayrtom said:

There is no specific rule to when or why adding new members, so it doesn't make sense to say that it is more regular now...

No, but after an 18-year gap with no new members added, since the 90s new member(s) have been added every few years so = on a more frequent basis. Jehovah’s organization is a progressive organization and just like there have been changes and refinements to arrangements for the body of elders, like a changing COBE instead of a presiding overseer, it seems like the regular addition of new brothers has happened alongside a lot of good change and growth! I was raised in the truth and definitely see many improvements now over the 1980s. 😊

On 7/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, Alikay said:

Have you heard?

I heard that the current GB are going to heaven and they will be replaced by new members from the OS. Thats all I've heard so far...:whistling:

13 hours ago, Michał said:

It's good to remember that our dearly brothers receive their heavenly reward. 18 members is quite a number so they may have decided to drop the number by "natural causes".

Mostly yes, but Raymond Franz and Leo Greenlees were asked to leave. Attached is a picture (photograph) taken around 1976-1977 showing 17 of these members.  Do you recognize many?

z-7 Gov Body-1976.jpg

39 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Mostly yes, but Raymond Franz and Leo Greenlees were asked to leave. Attached is a picture (photograph) taken around 1976-1977 showing 17 of these members.  Do you recognize many?

Also Ewart Chitty resigned from the GB in 1979

I recognize some, but the photo is very blurry...

Milton Enchel, the tallest in the back, Frederick Franz, 2nd on the front

Albert shroeder last from the top right

And that's it...

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I heard that the current GB are going to heaven and they will be replaced by new members from the OS. Thats all I've heard so far...:whistling:

I don't know if there is going to be a GB with some members of the Helpers being appointed... or if we won't have a GB and the Helpers (all of them) will do the work

I also don't know if any of the helpers now have any overseing apointment over the other helpers...

5 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Also Ewart Chitty resigned from the GB in 1979

I recognize some, but the photo is very blurry...

Milton Enchel, the tallest in the back, Frederick Franz, 2nd on the front

Albert shroeder last from the top right

And that's it...

I believe  Br. Nathan Knorr is center front.  He died in June 1977.

Edited by jwhess

On 8/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, Esined said:

Whoah, what happened in the 80s?

On 8/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, jayrtom said:

Anyway in 1977 with the new additions they totaled 18... perhaps they were already a good number and no more brothers were needed

FWIW here is my 'timeline' chart of the modern-day Governing Body from 1971 onwards

Click image for full-size PDF:

image.png.c07e0fbdcd7d865d8437156bfc263e02.png

Dates are shown for when they where appointed, and when they either died, or left the Governing Body.

For the seven brothers on the 1971 Governing Body who where already Directors of the Pennsylvania corporation, their date of election as a director is shown.

The Yellow bars indicate original members, the Blue bars indicate subsequent members, and the Green bars indicate current members.

The chart reads from left to right so that, in October 1971 there where 11 members, in July 1974 Bud Sullivan died, leaving 10 members, in November 1974 a futher eight brothers where appointed giving a total of 18 members, and so forth... thus the numbers along the top indicate the number of members from that date.

In addition, on 1 May 1992 the 'Helpers to the Governing Body' arrangement was instituted. Although previous to this the Governing Body where already using 'helpers', this formulised the arrangement and - importantly - now allowed for the 'Helpers' to be assigned, and participate, in the various Governing Body Committees.

Edited by Parale

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

Attached is a picture (photograph) taken around 1976-1977 showing 17 of these members.  Do you recognize many?

z-7 Gov Body-1976.jpg

Sydlik, Jaracz, Swingle, Henschel, Schroeder, both Franz (family resemblance), and Knorr.

BACK ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:

On 1/20/2022 at 2:46 AM, jwhess said:

Dan Sydlik, Ted Jaracz, Raymond V. Franz, Lyman Swingle, Lloyd Barry, Milton Henschel, William Jackson, Karl Klein, Grant Suiter, Albert Schroeder, Leo Greenless,

FRONT ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT:

On 1/20/2022 at 2:46 AM, jwhess said:

E. Chitty, Fred Franz, Nathan Knorr, George Gangas, John Booth and Charles Fekel.

The 17-members fits in with the below Governing Body Timeline (for time from 23 January 1975 to 24 April 1977). In addition I believe the Yeartext shown in the background is 2 Peter 3:14 which fits in with it being 1976 (It also doesn't look like the short 1975 text from Psalm 91:2, or the 1977 text from Hebrews 10:36).

Governing Body From 1971 vers 1.pdf

Edited by Parale

1 hour ago, Parale said:

FWIW here is my 'timeline' chart of the modern-day Governing Body from 1971 onwards

Bro. Paul, would you be willing to share your 'timeline' chart in spreadsheet form, e.g. Excel or Numbers?  I would like to make additions to it from notes I have including links to lifetime stories (where available), spouses, etc.  If not, no problem.  You did so much meticulous work on it.  It's terrific!  

I'm searching for a photo that was given to me by a sister from the first class of Gilead, similar to the one posted above, but sitting around a table, if memory serves me.  Alas, it may take some time to find it. 

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

1 hour ago, Watching and Waiting said:

I would like to make additions to it from notes I have including links to lifetime stories (where available), spouses, etc.

In addition to this thread, you may also be interested in the following, if you've not seen them yet:

A PDF of the current Governing Body, with pictures, and some links:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/51662-new-helpers-to-the-governing-body/page/2/#comment-875176

A PDF of the current Helpers, with pictures:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/51662-new-helpers-to-the-governing-body/page/2/#comment-875510

May 2022 JW Broadcast - Who is who on the 'Governing Body Preserves Unity' title card which appears at the 46:50 point? With link/s to the original unedited photo in the Proclaimers book, and cropped version in the Watchtower February 2017:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/52112-jw-broadcasting-may-2022/page/2/#comment-879245

Edited by Parale

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 485 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.