JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any news about our friends in Maui?

13 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Big thank you friends for your financial contributions.

In situations like this, organization can also help in a practical ways, thanks to our willing spirit and what we financially contribute. 

Disasters are very common now.

May Jehovah always provide so that we can share with others!!

3 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Not a desired achievement.
 And it will be years before things get back to 'normal'.
They are in our prayer

It will be a very long time.  Lahaina accounted for 80% of the tourism economy on Maui.

The loss of life,  the rebuilding (did people have insurance?), accounting for the response by the authorities (why weren't the power lines de energized?)

We had a destructive fire here in 2007, the Angora fire.  No fatalities.  But  16 years later not all of the homes have been rebuilt.  It's a dreadfully slow process.

A couple in our congregation were in Lahaina for their anniversary and they were flying home when the fires started. All the things they took pictures of, are gone..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

A couple in our congregation were in Lahaina for their anniversary and they were flying home when the fires started. All the things they took pictures of, are gone..

Some of the pictures I took over there in 2016

1-1-391A0942.JPG

1-1-391A1012.JPG

1-1-391A1027.JPG

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

They have at least 80 outdoor warning systems (largest in the world) and NOT one was activated. https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/12/us/hawaii-emergency-warning-system-maui-wildfires/index.html

You wonder crimes were involved? The number of deaths will pass 100.

Here is a video of part of the destruction. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66489585

Edited by Dustparticle

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Was just on the news that the death toll is not up to 93 - and only 2 of those have been identified.

This is actually hard to contemplate. Real disaster on apocalyptic scale.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 8/12/2023 at 10:40 PM, Tortuga said:

Yeah my uncle in law and his wife had made it home two days before it started. They were on vacation for their anniversary, too. 

Saw this today - Single home at water's edge miraculously untouched by Maui wildfires – just like church (msn.com)

The house survived in the same manner that the Maria Lanakila Catholic Church, also in Lahaina, stood unscathed by the wildfire that has so far killed 106 residents.

Hmm, no mention of the Kingdom Hall though. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

16 minutes ago, trottigy said:

Saw this today - Single home at water's edge miraculously untouched by Maui wildfires – just like church (msn.com)

Hmm, no mention of the Kingdom Hall though. 

It might be interesting to find out who that house belongs to. If it belongs to the pastor of that church, then Satan has definitely been busy...😳

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A sister in my congregation received an email letter from friends who live in Lahaina and shared it with his permission at our ZOOM field service meeting yesterday AM.  It was very touching and impressed upon us how vital to follow the slaves directions for disaster preparedness.  He relayed how they had warning the day before, so all go bags and necessities were loaded into the car and as wind conditions and warnings were sounded by law enforcement in connection with the high winds, they got into the car and drove to a location away from the populated area.  They returned to their home when it appeared safe to do so and a number of friends began showing up at their home for shelter.  He said they ended up using nearly all of the items in their go bags to take care of needs of those arriving.  When at a loss and praying for Jehovah's help, who arrives but a brother and sister with supplies to replenish and take care of them.   They all survived, but it was because first, they were prepared to respond in case of disaster and second, they listened to those who said 'get out.'  And the friends followed instructions about where to go. And their brothers came to their aid.  It brought tears to my eyes and made my heart swell, as she was reading it to us. 🥰

The 'practical' ways that the slave directs us is life-saving in this critical time.  NO ONE else has that. It is really telling that so many (and still counting) lost their lives and we've been assured that no brothers and sisters have been killed or injured, though some did lose their homes. 

Edited by Watching and Waiting

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

1 hour ago, Watching and Waiting said:

A sister in my congregation received an email letter from friends who live in Lahaina and shared it with his permission at our ZOOM field service meeting yesterday AM.  It was very touching and impressed upon us how vital to follow the slaves directions for disaster preparedness.  He relayed how they had warning the day before, so all go bags and necessities were loaded into the car………..

The 'practical' ways that the slave directs us is life-saving in this critical time.  NO ONE else has that. It is really telling that so many (and still counting) lost their lives and we've been assured that no brothers and sisters have been killed or injured, though some did lose their homes. 

Thank you for sharing.  I’m just about to update my go bag so after reading this I’m more determined to do it.  My food needs replacing and my clothes need upsizing (lol).  We here in the Southern Hemisphere are anticipating a hot summer of bushfires.